Hello Guest April 28, 2024, 02:40:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Container ship  (Read 10827 times)

Captain Davies

• Forum member
Re: Container ship
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2007, 12:39:40 »

Any stamp on a letter, or the envelope itself, in the UK is marked by an inking process in the sorting office, this has date and time stamped on it automatically.

This would prove posting (or at least time/date it got to the sorting office) ;)

Not sure about other countries though :-\

Regards.

DJM.

Ah thanks, I get it now.  I was thinking that someone would be able to buy a stamp and use it several years later to falsify their copyright claim.  But I forgot that the post office stamps it with ink if sent so making Stu's method work.  So to sum up; I understand now!  :D

Gertjan

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2007, 14:57:03 »

How about using parody names in the same font and colours, so for example Maersk will become Maarsk
or Stena Line = Sten Line, DFDS = DFBS etc etc??

sonarman

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2007, 15:18:03 »

Yes this was even a problem in the recently released WW2 subsim "Silent Hunter 4" Ubisoft were not allowed to use the real WW2 medals as the US heraldic Institute refused also Grumman refused to let them use any of their WW2 US planes!

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2007, 17:09:00 »

Welcome to the Earth! :D
I wonder what will happen the day we big brains have copyrighted all kinds of titles and names and we don't have any name to use anymore ;D

It's like if you are going to call your ship for "The Cruiser" you need to search all single corner of the Internet just to be sure that nobody have taken the name... or you get sued. :-\

Imagine how many copyright infringements we have in the world today. Even large companies are fighting in the court just to prove their products and service names. :D

I guess that If you are going to use fictional names you have to search for a list of companies that is no longer valid (doesn't exist anymore) and use those names. The movie industry and the game industry also use a lot of fictional names. It's just that we who play this game want to see the ships with their original name, like Queen Mary 2, Jewel of the Seas... (and all these "...of the seas"). And when RCCL don't have any more of-the-seas name to put on their cruise ships they start to use "....of freedom".
I know about the Genesis that will arrive somewhere in 2010. I also know a band of musicians which use the same name "Genesis". :P

If you are going to call your boat "apple", well then you got the Machintosh Apple to worry about... ;D

This is all totally ridiculous to be straight forward. It will end up in a giant circus someday... ::) 

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2007, 17:56:15 »

Clever.  But how could you prove that the letter was sealed at the same time the stamp was bought?
Not the stamp with the Queens head, that you lick on the back. The ink stamp that the post office print on it. Dope! ;)

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2007, 17:59:09 »

Welcome to the Earth! :D
I wonder what will happen the day we big brains have copyrighted all kinds of titles and names and we don't have any name to use anymore ;D

It's like if you are going to call your ship for "The Cruiser" you need to search all single corner of the Internet just to be sure that nobody have taken the name... or you get sued. :-\

Imagine how many copyright infringements we have in the world today. Even large companies are fighting in the court just to prove their products and service names. :D

I guess that If you are going to use fictional names you have to search for a list of companies that is no longer valid (doesn't exist anymore) and use those names. The movie industry and the game industry also use a lot of fictional names. It's just that we who play this game want to see the ships with their original name, like Queen Mary 2, Jewel of the Seas... (and all these "...of the seas"). And when RCCL don't have any more of-the-seas name to put on their cruise ships they start to use "....of freedom".
I know about the Genesis that will arrive somewhere in 2010. I also know a band of musicians which use the same name "Genesis". :P

If you are going to call your boat "apple", well then you got the Machintosh Apple to worry about... ;D

This is all totally ridiculous to be straight forward. It will end up in a giant circus someday... ::) 

Err... HOLD ON  >:( I'VE copyrighted the word 'ridiculous'. You have no right to use it and I'll see you in court. :D

Joking anyway: Can't copyright these sort of words
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2007, 18:40:37 »

I'm sure I read somewhere that you can only copyright a name for the product you are selling.  So Genesis would only be able to sue if it was another band that was using the name.  Otherwise they would be in copyright infingement with God!  :D

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2007, 19:36:49 »

No. That isn't true either. You have copyright over anything you create- IF you can prove it (hence my suggestion earlier).

It isn't quite as straightforward as all that, which is why copyright infringement cases drag on. And on. And...

You see, the band Genesis can not claim to have invented the word and MAYBE the church could claim a copyright... but then WHICH church?

A good example (IMHO) is that you could use the word Stena- as this is a common enough name- but not stenaline, which is clearly a trade name.

Or a better one... MS- it's a trade mark, but also an abbreviation of multiple sclerosis. If you wanted to use MS in relation to computers, you may come unstuck- but would Billy Gates start suing every doctor? No, of course not.

Best bet is too use google and come up with your own interpretation of the law/

Stu

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2007, 11:29:13 »

Best bet is too use google and come up with your own interpretation of the law/

Until a judge tells you: "you're wrong and that will be a gazillion pounds in damages please."  :D

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2007, 12:33:03 »

It's always best to get professional advice...

Remember that what the law really means, and what will happen aren't always the same.
1. You have to get caught
2. The copyright owner has to be annoyed.
3. The copyright owner will usually not pursue it if you pay the fee/ stop doing it UNLESS you're doing it for profit, then they might hammer you.

My opinion only. Not condoning theft of copyright. Please seek legal advice.

Stu
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines