Hello Guest September 21, 2024, 04:19:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Ship sim wiki  (Read 9430 times)

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
Re: Ship sim wiki
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2009, 20:54:35 »

Liked the old one better...

Gloat

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2009, 21:11:59 »

really?

BTW I plan to make the following administrators:

Nathan C
AgentAustin

if you do not want, please say so here.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 21:17:06 by Gloat »

Come and join us at the ship sim wiki! www.shipsimulator.wikia.com
Head Aministrator at Ship Simulator wiki.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009, 21:37:31 »

We need a page for the "Erik Raude"

Edit: I can get used to this, although there are some occurrences where white text is on a white background.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 21:44:20 by Agent|Austin »

Capt.Bluebeard

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2009, 21:42:45 »

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2009, 00:27:06 »

It has a site look here http://www.ocean-rig.com/default.asp?fid=1030
Thanks for the info.

It needs a Wiki Page though is what I meant ::)

Gloat, I just added a image to the Main Page, what do ya think?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 00:35:45 by Agent|Austin »

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2009, 00:45:48 »

Hey guys,

I see a lot of pieces of text that I assume are copy-pasted from some  other source. Without permission and mentioning where it came from, that could be a bit of a copyright issue.

Also, some of the ship pages have some inaccuracies.. it's better to get facts, then to assume, words like 'apprearantly' and 'it seems' are not really the ones that you want to use too much in a factual article. And the word 'unknown' is present here and there too. A tip; when unsure, best not mention anything, since everything is known, if you get to the right source. And chances are you can be wrong..  ;)

Assumptions about SS10 and so on, are not wise.. It'll only mean you have to re-write most of it in time..

Personal ideas and beliefs about what's going to happen don't belong in such articles, not if you really want to make a reliable wiki, at least.  ;)

Fred

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2009, 01:52:47 »

Hey guys,

I see a lot of pieces of text that I assume are copy-pasted from some  other source. Without permission and mentioning where it came from, that could be a bit of a copyright issue.

Also, some of the ship pages have some inaccuracies.. it's better to get facts, then to assume, words like 'apprearantly' and 'it seems' are not really the ones that you want to use too much in a factual article. And the word 'unknown' is present here and there too. A tip; when unsure, best not mention anything, since everything is known, if you get to the right source. And chances are you can be wrong..  ;)

Assumptions about SS10 and so on, are not wise.. It'll only mean you have to re-write most of it in time..

Personal ideas and beliefs about what's going to happen don't belong in such articles, not if you really want to make a reliable wiki, at least.  ;)

Fred

Agreed, there was no statement released the Ocean Star was based off of a Carnival Vessel.

Nathan|C

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2009, 18:14:14 »

I can assure you that the text in the pages by me, are 100% my work.

A|A, the Pride of Rotterdam page from your Wiki site has exactly the same text as the Real Wikipedia page, and i do believe the real image of the ship has been used without permission....

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2009, 18:44:35 »

I can assure you that the text in the pages by me, are 100% my work.

A|A, the Pride of Rotterdam page from your Wiki site has exactly the same text as the Real Wikipedia page, and i do believe the real image of the ship has been used without permission....

Well to bad my wiki no longer does anything...

Gloat

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2009, 18:50:35 »

Well to bad my wiki no longer does anything...

Even if your wiki does not do anything, you still own it - and if that pride of rotterdam page is discovered, you will still be liable for the fines that follow.

Hey guys,

Fred

Hi Fred. If you notice any untrue information, you can edit it - this is what wikis are for. Anyone can edit anything. And if you can tell me anything about the pages you think have copyrighted material inside, please let me know the titles of them immidiatly. I put this on the wikia rules as a very important rule and that banned the user which broke it banned for a month, I added copyright information to the main page (BTW I like the new banner AA) and still people think copy/pasting information which is not theirs is completely normal. If you give me the names of those articles and perhaps the user which posted it, I can do something about these fools.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 18:55:28 by Gloat »

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2009, 19:04:34 »

Well if you're cool with that, I might edit a few things when I look at them again..

Mind you, some of the stuff that you've written is just simply not really true or are irrelevant thoughts and assumptions about certain features, so that might include me editing out complete sections, if it's based on wrong ideas or can be misguiding towards readers that have no knowledge of shipsim.

And if you look carefully, you can probably spot some stuff that is copied.. it simply is vstep's vessel info, or that of the company that owns it, mostly..

Just as a tip; try not to write these articles from what YOU think is going on or about how YOU think it is.. try to find source material, vstep info, the real life company's info, and just re-write things in your own words, but only base it on what you know to be true, and can prove. Otherwise some of the assumptions and ideas I read, might lead to people being misinformed if they read this wiki, and they could complain about certain things not being so, on the forum, once they have bought the game.

It needs to be informing, and it needs to be factual. Sure it can be a bit more casual that an official developers wiki perhaps, but for everything you write down, you should be sure that it is so, and have some source to prove it is so.

That way, no one can ever say "but it said so-and-so on the wiki!!"  (And you probably know how much people value wikis, even though they cannot always be trusted 100%)

I'll go through some of the pages lateron tonight, I have other 'duties' first now.. :)

Fred

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2009, 19:12:33 »

Gloat, I'll run to mexico if they come after me...

Gloat

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2009, 19:22:21 »

meet me in Tortuga.

Would you want to become an admin Austin? I would be happy to promote you

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2009, 19:33:02 »

Well, I allso changed a few small mistakes.

And there are still e few ships missing.

Like:
Bugsier II
classic yacht
Marbella Delight
Herkules Atlas
Igor K.

Allso, there isn't a picture from the inland containership, while there is a topic for that ship.
And I ask myself if all the information is 100% correct.

But in general, the wiki looks ok.

Nathan|C

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2009, 19:34:53 »

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2009, 19:42:11 »

Marbella Delight and Igor K are in the wiki, but are not on the main page, I will go add that now.

We still need a page for Erik Raude.

Gloat, sure.

Edit: I am also going to put the ships in alphabetic order on the main page.

Edit: Isn't the boat name North Star, it was a typo of "Northern Star"?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 19:45:56 by Agent|Austin »

Nathan|C

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2009, 19:51:06 »

Sam, that image was taken by me, In SS2006.

I have another image too.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2009, 20:23:34 »

I have finally added my shot of Red Jet 4

Gloat

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2009, 20:30:03 »

I cant seem to upload the logo I designed. I checked the upload:logo page for admins and it had NO USEFUL INFORMATION whatsoever. I have uploaded the logo the way it told me too, but it doesnt tell me how to put the logo ON THE SITE.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2009, 00:04:37 »

Edit: Isn't the boat name North Star, it was a typo of "Northern Star"?

Hi Austin,

Well, apart from the actual name sign on the boat, that says "North Star", everywhere else, in the editor, and all the documentation, it's referred to as "Northern Star".

So I think it's best to stick to "Northern Star", as that's how it is called everywhere in the game ,the editor and in the manuals and such.

Fred

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2009, 00:47:42 »

Hi Austin,

Well, apart from the actual name sign on the boat, that says "North Star", everywhere else, in the editor, and all the documentation, it's referred to as "Northern Star".

So I think it's best to stick to "Northern Star", as that's how it is called everywhere in the game ,the editor and in the manuals and such.

Fred

Ok.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2009, 00:51:34 »

Were you just editing 'walkabout'?  It changed before my eyes.. and I was editing it too.  ;D

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2009, 00:55:06 »

Nope I am in class right now.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2009, 01:01:07 »

Ah okay. Someone else then, perhaps..  ;D 

@Gloat:

I really think you should leave certain bits of info and trivia out, unless you have written proof of these facts being.. well.. actual facts..  I am discovering many mistakes and wrongly assumed ideas in a lot of the pages, now that I go through most of it.. some things are just pulled out of thin air.. since I know them to be completely false.... I'm not trying to be a spoil-sport, but we wouldn't want the people to get misinformed, right? Just here to help.

I'll correct some stuff.. but to prevent that being necessary too much, try to write about facts alone.  No use in some fun trivia, if they are a fabrication, right?

Fred

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2009, 03:14:25 »

I have gone through the pages you guys have made so far and have removed some inaccuracies and re-written certain bits where necessary, to include facts, and exclude fiction.  ;)

Regards,
Fred
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines