Hello Guest April 27, 2024, 11:20:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: no tutorial  (Read 1405 times)

Canuck

• Forum member
no tutorial
« on: December 25, 2008, 22:22:14 »

Hi, I'm new to this program, so please bear with me.

My firt problem that I've encountered is trying to run the tutorial.  It says in the manual that came with the disk that there is a tutorial located at Start > Programs > Ship Simulator 2008 > Tutorial.  This file does not exist.  I have checked the contents of the file and there is no sub-file 'tutorial'.

My next problem is, I've gone to your site and tried downloading the patches, it appears that the links  given no longer work for the version I have.  Which brings up another problem, I just bought this program Dec 2008.  First, I couldn't find the version of the game, but when I tried to download a patch, it informed me that I have version 1008 (I think it was 8 but defiantly 100?) and that the patch was not the right one.  The patches for upgrading from 1 to 1.4 as I've said don't work or download.

My big disappointment is I paid good money for what I thought was a new updated version from a retail store, full price, and it's not.

My PC is new and more that meets the programs requirements.

What is the solution to my problems please.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
Re: no tutorial
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 23:10:07 »

Hi Canuck, welcome to the forum!

I can understand your dissapointment, but we'll figure this out, no doubt.

Let's determine what version of the game you have, first. You can see the version number, when you go ingame, and check the lower left-hand corner, of the main game menu.

There should be a version number and a build number.

If the game is below v1.3, you need the biggest file, the 1.x to 1.4.2 patch. if you have tried the wrong one, it would indeed tell you the version is wrong.
If the game is V1.3 or above, but not 1.4.2 itself, then the 1.3 to 1.4.2 patch applies. Did you perhaps try this patch instead of the bigger one?

I reckon you don't need a link since you know of them, but anyway you can get them here:
http://www.shipsim.com/downloads/patches.php

They should work for any version, no matter where you got it. (legal versions that is, ofcourse.) But you need the correct one of course.

The tutorial you speak of is unknown to me, perhaps this was referring to the mission editor manual, or the main manual, I'm not sure.

This flowchart might help you with your install, it tells you what to do and in what order:
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php?topic=7737.msg111980#msg111980

Futhermore, If you like to have full acces to the forum, and to all the online content of the game, I'd recommend you to register your license key on the forum. That way you also have acces to the technical support forum aswell.
To do this, go to your profile, and scroll down a bit, untill you see the license key registration section, the rest is self explainatory.

I hope this helps, let me know if it still won't go, even if you have the right patch and the right installation order as laid out by the flowchart.

Regards,
Fred

* edit - typo
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 23:12:41 by Mad_Fred »

Canuck

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 23:55:56 »

Hello Mad_Fred,

Thank you very much for your speedy and excellent advice.  From your instructions, I discovered I have Version 1.3 Build 1018 and not the one that the pop-up said I had.  From there, I was able to download the correct update (don't know why I wasn't able to download from there before) and further I registered my copy.  As a bonus for registering, I was given a free download of Jumbo Javelin which I also have done but not installed ... learn one program at a time!!

As far as the tutorial, in the SS 2008 manual that comes with the program, page 12, Example Mission it states 'In the following image sequence, we will show you how to complete the mission objectives, called Waypoints, of this mission.  A video tutorial of this mission is also available.  A link to it was installed with the game and can be watched with Start - Ship Simulator 2008 - Tutorial.'  This is the tutorial I was speaking of.  What I was hoping to find was a tutorial that explains what the various instruments do and how to use them.  Do you know of a tutorial which covers the instrumentation, it would be of great assistance.

Thank you very much for your assistance, I can't wait to get involved with SS.  My poor old dad must be turning in his grave, he was in the RAF and RCAF and didn't have too much time for the sea!!

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 01:15:25 »

You're very welcome!  :)

I must say that I'm not sure how much difference there might be between our versions of the game, but my manual's page 12 seems to be different from yours.

I guess it's just because of the Europe - Northern America differences.

I have found what you mean though, it's in my manual on page 7. And indeed, I do not have it either. I'll see if I can find an answer to that.

As for the Jumbo Javelin. That's not a program in itself, but a free new ship to put in your SS08 installment. You can just run the executable, and it will update your game automatically. You'll have to register the key you were given, and you'll have this great ship to play around with as a bonus.

Regards,
Fred
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 01:18:28 by Mad_Fred »

mvsmith

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 02:11:17 »

Hi Canuck,
Welcome to the simulator and to the forum.

I just watched the video tutorial; frankly, you don’t miss much. It is mostly an animation of the first part of the manual. It does not explain the instruments or the controls in any detail.

If you don’t find it listed in the Start menu, you can look in the installation folder:
Right-click the desktop icon for Ship Simulator 2008, and then click the Properties button.
Click the Open File Location button to see a list of the files that were installed.
If you click the header of the Type column, it will group all the manuals (.pdf) together—as well as all the videos (.wmv).

Now that you have access to all the forum boards, you can find many topics or posts dealing with the controls for the various vessels. The best way to learn what they do for a specific vessel is to take it out in Free-roam and experiment.

At the top of the Missions board is a link to the Mission Editor Tutorial (PDF) and to INFO1 (PDF). The latter gives instructions for specific objects such as the Container Crane and the VS propellers on Red Eagle.
The Mission Editor Tutorial also explains how to do certain tasks, and how to cope with the various waypoints you encounter in a mission.

If you have specific questions about an instrument or control, you can ask it in this topic that you have started—a moderator may move it to another board such as Missions or Technical Support.
You can also send a PM to me with any questions.
Enjoy the simulator.

Regards,
Marty

Canuck

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 04:12:15 »

Marty and Fred,

Thank you both very much for your help and words of encouragement.  I will try and work through the advice you've given and will call upon your help as needed .. I don't want to be a pain in the aft quarters!!

I am an administrator/moderator of a computer help site and can appreciate the time and dedication you obviously give here .. thank you.  On the site that I'm involved with, we have an option of giving a recommendation to those who have helped solve problems .. be assured, that if there was the same option here, you would both be receiving such recommendations.

;)

« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 04:16:52 by Canuck »

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 05:00:58 »

My pleasure, and thank you aswell, for those kind words!!   :)

Don't hesitate to ask whenever there is a question on your mind, you won't be a pain, I assure you.

Happy Sailing!

Regards,
Fred

TerryRussell

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 10:31:39 »

Good mornng, chaps! (or is it evenng for you, Marty?).

Canuck, I thought the following list might be of use. There is a huge amount of information on the site, although it is often buried under a pile of less useful posts. As you gain experience, you will encounter all sorts of quirks about which other people have posted questions and received answers.

You can probably find the answers more quickly than any of us can type the answers, using the search function. But if not, please feel free to ask, as Marty and Fred have said.

To make things easier for you, here are some links that you may find useful:

The Help Page.  To assist you with forum posting, and the more advanced features on the forum -
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php?action=help

The Forum Rules.  To help you make informed decisions regarding posting - http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,26.0.html

The Posting Guidelines.  These will help you determine where to post about a specific subject -
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,11578.0.html

The Search function.  A very useful tool to help you find the answer to that elusive question -
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php?action=search

The Tutorials board.  Check here for guides that cover common questions -
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/board,35.0.html

The Technical Support boards.  Got a problem with your game?  This is where you need to check first.

Ship Simulator 2008 Technical Support -
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/board,5.0.html

* Please note:  To access Technical Support, you will need to register your Ship Simulator licence key into your forum profile.  If you're not sure how to do this, please check the General FAQ's (see below).

The FAQ's and Announcements board.  Check here for answers to commonly asked questions.  Also a useful source for the latest information regarding

Ship Simulator development - http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/board,1.0.html

PS I infest "Tek-tips" (a computer/IT help site) a lot, and there you can award a "star" to helpful posters. I guess that's the sort of thing you meant?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 10:33:11 by TerryRussell »

Canuck

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 18:34:35 »

Thanks Terry for the additional help, I will add some to my Bookmarks as I'm sure they'll be needed, I really appreciate this.

Yes, similar type site I'm at, it's Help2go, a free computer help site, if you take a look, you'll note a friendly atmosphere as you have here.

Have a great day gentlemen  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines