Hello Guest April 26, 2024, 05:09:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The New Flagship for SS2008?  (Read 16882 times)

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
Re: The New Flagship for SS2008?
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2007, 22:29:00 »

As much as I like this class of vessel, I do not think they have enough historical recognition or game, as does the Queen Mary, the Queen Elizabeth, Titanic, or even the Normandie . . . 

One reason I keep pressing for the Queen Elizabeth or the Normandie is they are both major icons that ship fans have heard of. I personally favor the Normandie out of the two because she does have a bit of a futuristic appearance, with her sleak, minimalistic, chic body style . . .  I think in terms of exterior she does a better job of holding her appearances with modern, present day vessels than any of the US Lines or Cunard vessels.

Here is an interior shot of her bridge, her exterior, and a link to a page that briefly describes her.

http://www.geocities.com/swsodspickly/normandie.html
-Dave

Moderator, Ship Simulator Official Forums
Founder, The Ship Simulator New Vessel Design Group
Designer - Print, Branding, Fashion, Identity Systems

The New Vessel Design Group - Bringing gamers ideas to Ship Simulator

rvm3192

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2007, 00:19:07 »

I agree with you, if any ship should be the next flag ship it should be the Normandie. But if not I think the Andrea Doria would do just as well
bon voyage! :)

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2007, 00:44:49 »

A long long time ago, in a ocean not too far away, the SS United States was the most shining cruise liner on the North Atlantic, and as young boys (well, already older than some...), we followed her crossings with enthusiasm.
Normandie had suffered a sad fate in New York together with a dubious reputation, because it had been seized by the US, desacring her. The SS United States was competing with the Queen Mary and the Queen Elizabeth, (Queen Mother, not Queen Elizabeth I). 
Queen Elizabeth was surely the biggest, but the quickest was the SS United States, small, but nicier, more modern and not so snob with her 2 funnels. In these days, speed was more important than size, and nationalism  was not at its highest.
If it pleases you more, I support the Queen Elizabeth, while regretting that the SS United States disappeared from the memories.
Regards,
Luc

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2007, 01:02:41 »

Luc;

I have had always great enthusiasm for the SS United States. As a matter of fact, I coordinated with the government to try to put together a non profit to rescue the fine ship, but was thwarted by her now former owners. True, the SS United States gleamed of national pride, speed, and technological ability not found in other liners . . . However, I have to say that I feel she lacks the glamour and excitement of some of her larger counter-parts. She is from an era where liners got slimmer and lower to the water, and faster. She was unique in all senses, however, I just cannot look to her as one of the queens of the Ocean Liner era. She was, however, far superior to many other out there at the time. ;)

I hope to see her come into the game someday, though. It would be fun to take her to her record breaking speed of 38.86 knots - when she stole the blue ribbon from the Rex. ;D
-Dave

Moderator, Ship Simulator Official Forums
Founder, The Ship Simulator New Vessel Design Group
Designer - Print, Branding, Fashion, Identity Systems

The New Vessel Design Group - Bringing gamers ideas to Ship Simulator

rvm3192

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2007, 04:29:28 »

A long long time ago, in a ocean not too far away, the SS United States was the most shining cruise liner on the North Atlantic, and as young boys (well, already older than some...), we followed her crossings with enthusiasm.
Normandie had suffered a sad fate in New York together with a dubious reputation, because it had been seized by the US, desacring her. The SS United States was competing with the Queen Mary and the Queen Elizabeth, (Queen Mother, not Queen Elizabeth I). 
Queen Elizabeth was surely the biggest, but the quickest was the SS United States, small, but nicier, more modern and not so snob with her 2 funnels. In these days, speed was more important than size, and nationalism  was not at its highest.
If it pleases you more, I support the Queen Elizabeth, while regretting that the SS United States disappeared from the memories.
Regards,
Luc

I went throught my mind and the S.S. United States passed without myself seeing it. That is another ship that would just be perfect to pick
bon voyage! :)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines