Hello Guest July 27, 2024, 15:29:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ship Simulator Great Lakes Edition  (Read 18196 times)

bulkcarrier

• Forum member
Re: Ship Simulator Great Lakes Edition
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2008, 07:45:09 »

Yes, dredging is an ongoing thing.   Here are a few I took of the Mississagi, outbound on the Saginaw River in July, passing through the Lake States Railway swing bridge.  Hope you enjoy!

Best Regards,

Galen

"Sarnia Traffic..The American Valor..Up at 1 & 2, 4 and a half hours to Harbor Beach"

NIN

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2008, 20:09:28 »

Do they dredge the rock cut?

I think its a good idea, unlike most people who think these are only knee deep ponds that we use for "playgrounds" I have not been to any European ports so I don't know how difficult it is to navigate them. The lakes have many challenges, from strong currents, to narrow rivers with bridges, to extremely narrow rivers with  tight turns. There are also locks and tight channels. Now a 1000ft boat in Rotterdam needs how many tugs? The 1000ft ore carriers navigate without the need of tugs. its only an idea, I'm sure flight sim didn't have the full world available at first.

Heres some shots of the mail boat in Detroit.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2008, 20:34:23 »

I still don't know that side on that ship it the front... ^^

NIN

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2008, 23:46:25 »

what?

davepusey

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2008, 00:03:52 »

The pointy end is the the front!
Dave Pusey
Sherpa Captain

jumbo_nth

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2008, 22:46:09 »

I suppose doing the Great Lakes would be a huge amount of work. Basicly I think the most interesting part (and scenic) is from Montreal through the seaway into the first lake (Ontario if I recall correctly). In my opinion this would only make sense if we can get the locks working.
Next the Welland canal with even more locks is not as nice a scenery but would get you into the second lake.

Our ships (altough not the Jumbo Javelin (she's too big)) regulary go all the way upto Duluth and Thunderbay for the refinery equipment used on the oilfields and tar-sands.

alg0912

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2008, 03:33:57 »

It should also include the Windoc and the Allenburg Bridge. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Wn2RDzsvg

bulkcarrier

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2008, 00:58:19 »

I suppose doing the Great Lakes would be a huge amount of work. Basicly I think the most interesting part (and scenic) is from Montreal through the seaway into the first lake (Ontario if I recall correctly). In my opinion this would only make sense if we can get the locks working.
Next the Welland canal with even more locks is not as nice a scenery but would get you into the second lake.

Our ships (altough not the Jumbo Javelin (she's too big)) regulary go all the way upto Duluth and Thunderbay for the refinery equipment used on the oilfields and tar-sands.

Jumbo Vision is in Duluth as we speak...  Wonderful vessels.  I greatly enjoy the Jumbo Javelin in SS08.  You folks at SS and Jumbo did a GREAT thing providing us with it.  I will always be a customer here!

Best Regards,

Galen

"Sarnia Traffic..The American Valor..Up at 1 & 2, 4 and a half hours to Harbor Beach"

Goldens2

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2008, 05:21:45 »

I'd fully agree with you as I live along this section of the great lakes. I've seen a couple of your ships go through, however I can't seen to recall the name of the ship.

~Jake
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
                 ~Wayne Gretzky

This applies to Photography too!

DECKHAND96

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2008, 06:22:57 »

I would like to see some great lakes ships and ports like the Arthur M. Andrson, the Oglebay Norton,and the Paul R. Tregutha and ports like duluth, thunder bay, and Sault Ste. Marie.

davolson

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2010, 03:26:03 »

Time to reopen the discussion on a Great Lakes Edition or Ad on.   hmmmm... most of north American users are probably NOT in NY or San fransisco  but quite a few, as well as our canadian friends have greater familiarity and interest in the Great Lakes.  I'd keep it in mind.
Capt Dave
USCG Six pack Capt. Great Lakes. (ret)

Intel Core i7  Q720  1.6GHz 4GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M 2773 MB

cptnchris

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2010, 03:40:24 »

Im in Missouri, with not major water systems (except rivers, but im in the southwest corner of boring-ness), but a Great Lakes addon would be pretty sweet. It would take alot of work, but It would be very cool  :thumbs:

Chitch

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2010, 00:34:41 »

Nice pics!!  I live south of Lake Ontario, and if I want to do the Great Lakes, I have to go to (gulp) Virtual Sailor and use their Great Lakes addon.....not my favorite selection (VS), but it's better than not being able to at all.

VS leaves a lot to be desired when you put it up against either SSE or SS 08...ship handling is pretty....unusual, but again, if you want to sail the Lakes, then that's about your only choice....costs $30 (US) to d/load from their site.  The Lakes addon is a free d/load as are a couple of Lake Boats.

Jim
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines