Hello Guest April 28, 2024, 09:14:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ship Simulator Vault  (Read 4970 times)

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
Re: Ship Simulator Vault
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2010, 19:45:01 »

Thinking about HD videos, what is the average file size of a HD video for say 5 minutes??

I don't have a HD video cam so I'm not sure myself :)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

TNeves

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2010, 19:50:32 »

Hi TNeves,

No the website will not compete with the Creators Forum simply because they will NOT be the same only in that they may share the ability to download missions :)

The bandwidth consumption is something which is not an issue at this stage and has already been taken care of.

I think the method you suggest by using other 3rd party services will start to get sloppy. We'd just be doing what we do now, and have links to loads of other websites, which not only does it get confusing, but you can never guarentee the status and reliablility of these services.

The website will be a central place to share information, which is one of the major features the website will bring. Members will be able to post links to this website, to showcase their new screenshots, movies, missions and otherwise.

The site will also incorporate a login system, with free registration which will ensure that not only will content remain secure, but also to give members a chance to shine and become part of the community with their own 'space'.

Any more questions??? ;D

Using google docs is not sloppy and Google has a great uptime. If you use direct links from google docs, when you click to download it does not load any website, just downloads the file, just like if it was saved in the server. However if you have a service with space for this type of things, great, is one less thing to worry about :thumbs:

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2010, 06:59:00 »

Thinking about HD videos, what is the average file size of a HD video for say 5 minutes??

I don't have a HD video cam so I'm not sure myself :)

For a 6 minutes long 720p HD-quality video, it takes about 814 MB, for a YouTube video I uploaded. :)

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2010, 09:35:54 »

Hi Adam,

I sent out a news letter describing your project a few days ago, from IJTS, so hopefully it'll drum up a bit more support.

I think it's a great idea.

Jack :)
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2010, 11:15:34 »

For a 6 minutes long 720p HD-quality video, it takes about 814 MB, for a YouTube video I uploaded. :)

Thanks for that info JHB that will be useful to determine if HD videos can be used on the site.

As a quick question, who will actually use HD videos?

Hi Adam,

I sent out a news letter describing your project a few days ago, from IJTS, so hopefully it'll drum up a bit more support.

I think it's a great idea.

Jack :)

Hi Jack,

Thank you very much! I've already had a couple of people email me back and say that the project is a good idea ;D
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2010, 11:34:43 »

depending on whether I can fix Movie Maker, I would probably go HD for uploads. I guess Captain Best would too.
Almost never here, try here.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2010, 15:29:22 »

depending on whether I can fix Movie Maker, I would probably go HD for uploads. I guess Captain Best would too.

Well high definnition videos as far as I am aware (and with JHB's help) are very large in terms of file size. Bandwidth is not necessarily a problem, but I am concerned that the site might be trying to run before it can walk if you see what I mean ;)

Videos WILL be a possibility, but HD may have to wait a little while I'm afraid unless members are willing to contribute financially to support the bandwidth and disk space to cope with HD vids.

Hope you all understand, but I don't see it as a major problem anyway :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 15:32:20 by CaptainSpencer »

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2010, 22:05:37 »

cokey dokey ;)

Shame I don't have a credit card.
Almost never here, try here.

jacksos101

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2010, 06:47:07 »

Sounds like a great idea. : )

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2010, 11:46:42 »

Thanks Jacksos101 :)

TNeves

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2010, 14:29:32 »

Guys, don't forget that the size of a HD video depends on what codec are we using. Take a look at matroska, one of the most used in HD ripping, and stuff like that.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2010, 15:58:13 »

Well that of course plays a part, and the videos length amongst other things. But this is something we can work on at a later date.

Is there anything anyone would like to see as a feature on the website?

If you have an idea, post it here!!

capn_cal

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2010, 00:45:12 »

that sounds cool  ;D  ;D
i don't know what to say on here so i'm typing what i'm typing now because i can't think of what else to type

DarkChestOfWonders

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2010, 01:44:34 »

What ever happened to this, Adam? You seemed to have high hopes for it. :) ???

Tomaten

• Custom Mission Managers
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2010, 07:07:08 »

And I like the idea! :)
We're the cool group  8)
Tuuuuuuut Tuuuuuuuuuut!
Also known as Tomaten 2006 from the old Ship Simulator 2006 forum.[/c

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2010, 10:21:10 »

Hi all,

Unfortunately VSTEP turned this idea down. So unless you are all prepared to start a petition to VSTEP then this idea will not be going ahead  :'(

Sorry guys, we all thought it was a good idea, but VSTEP didn't   :-\

Tomaten

• Custom Mission Managers
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2010, 10:28:48 »

:'(
We're the cool group  8)
Tuuuuuuut Tuuuuuuuuuut!
Also known as Tomaten 2006 from the old Ship Simulator 2006 forum.[/c

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2010, 09:27:24 »

Hi all,

Unfortunately VSTEP turned this idea down. So unless you are all prepared to start a petition to VSTEP then this idea will not be going ahead  :'(

Sorry guys, we all thought it was a good idea, but VSTEP didn't   :-\

Hi Adam,

I'll send you a message...I have an idea.

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines