Hello Guest April 27, 2024, 18:37:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What can happen if I have this Ship Simulator downloaded on two PCs?  (Read 4206 times)

andrewthebestes

• Forum member

Just wondering (I have got it on ONLY one PC).

Shipaddict

• Forum member
Re: What can happen if I have this Ship Simulator downloaded on two PCs?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 21:09:14 »

Should be able to have on two.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 21:14:40 »

Actually nope.

The license agreement gives you the right to use the game for ONE user, on only ONE pc.

So it's not allowed to have it on two, and what would happen, is a ban from the forum, possibly MP aswell, and having one's license key blocked, perhaps aswell.

In short, not good.  :)

Regards,
Fred

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 21:16:06 »

Fred, the moderators are saying this now but when the server software came out it was agreed we could run ship simulator on one computer and the server on another to reduce lag. I asked DJM and he said that was allowed. Can I PM wout or mark and ask them?

andrewthebestes

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 22:12:28 »

Actually nope.

The license agreement gives you the right to use the game for ONE user, on only ONE pc.

So it's not allowed to have it on two, and what would happen, is a ban from the forum, possibly MP aswell, and having one's license key blocked, perhaps aswell.

In short, not good.  :)

Regards,
Fred

Oh, Tnx!

Capt.Bluebeard

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 09:13:42 »

Just wondering (I have got it on ONLY one PC).
I haw two ship sim 08  and run the server on 1 of them then you can reg the second key in a new profile and run on two PC. That are the only way to do it allowed 1 ss license one pc bay a new game for the PC2 and run server from that you only us as a server PC
TJK

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 09:17:04 »

Fred, the moderators are saying this now but when the server software came out it was agreed we could run ship simulator on one computer and the server on another to reduce lag. I asked DJM and he said that was allowed. Can I PM wout or mark and ask them?

Well, this is based on the EULA and as far as I know this has never really changed either. You can ask Mark about it if you like, but Wout isn't around much because he's really busy with his real life duties at the moment.

Andrew wasn't really refering to the server software but the game, and you cannot by law have the game on two machines. So unless they change the EULA you'd be violating that. If exceptions have been made, then I just haven't been told or seen it, but then again, I don't always hear or see everything of course. (Life gets in the way)  ;D

Oh, Tnx!

No problem!

Regards,
Fred

Capt.Bluebeard

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 09:20:08 »

HI AA
I think you misunderstood Carl their, hi sad you can run the server from another PC not the game to, but if you bay a new ss08 and run the server from pc 2 it's easer to set up the server
TJK

andrewthebestes

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 09:20:52 »

Wow! Is having it on two PCs against the law?

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 09:27:16 »

I have just messaged Mark about this dispute.

I will post the reply here when I receive it.

Thanks,
Austin

Capt.Bluebeard

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 09:34:37 »

Wow! Is having it on two PCs against the law?
Yes that is, you most also haw to licenses

Captain Darling

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 16:59:08 »

DJM also told me this too..

HI AA
I think you misunderstood Carl their, hi sad you can run the server from another PC not the game to, but if you bay a new ss08 and run the server from pc 2 it's easer to set up the server
TJK
Its hard to misunderstand Carl, and the message wasn't hard to understand either.. It was rather clear to me.
Its easier to get the wrong end of the stick when you get told by members on the forum than Moderators by PM. ;)
Regards,
James

andrewthebestes

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 17:19:50 »

Yes that is, you most also haw to licenses

oh, okay.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 17:30:18 »

And then now...  (spooky music)   ..the conclusion!   ;D

Officially it is a violation of the EULA to install Shipsim on more than one pc.

But..

If you only use a second installment on another pc to run the server software and make (a) server(s), then an exception is made.

However, ONLY for this use. If you are caught online with two players on the same license (Maybe a friend comes over and you play on two machines, maybe your little brother uses it frequently, or whatever..) you are in breach of the rules. Only one person may use the game to play, the other pc must ONLY be used as the server.

Using both games to play, and getting caught, will most likely result in ban(s) plus getting your license key blocked.

I think that's cleared it all up nicely.

(Thanks for that, Mark!)

Regards,
Fred

Captain Darling

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 17:36:45 »

And then now...  (spooky music)   ..the conclusion!   ;D

Officially it is a violation of the EULA to install Shipsim on more than one pc.

But..

If you only use a second installment on another pc to run the server software and make (a) server(s), then an exception is made.

However, ONLY for this use. If you are caught online with two players on the same license (Maybe a friend comes over and you play on two machines, maybe your little brother uses it frequently, or whatever..) you are in breach of the rules. Only one person may use the game to play, the other pc must ONLY be used as the server.

Using both games to play, and getting caught, will most likely result in ban(s) plus getting your license key blocked.

I think that's cleared it all up nicely.

(Thanks for that, Mark!)

Regards,
Fred
Thanks Fred and Mark for your conclusion on the matter. :)

Most appreciated. :)
Regards,
James

Capt.Bluebeard

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 17:37:04 »

Are that for NH and all the ship in shipyard ships to
TJK

Captain Darling

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 17:37:30 »

TJK
I would think so. ;)
Regards,
James

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 17:41:23 »

TJK

Yes, I'm sure it is. Since they are also part of that same installment on that second pc when you have them in the game. As long as no one else uses that second installment to play, it doesn't matter which version of the game it is and how many addons it has. It's just the server then, and you'd need those ships there to host with them.

Fred

TerryRussell

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 19:31:54 »

Thanks, Fred!

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 19:35:41 »

It's my pleasure!  :)

Capt.Bluebeard

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 00:37:17 »

Yes, I'm sure it is. Since they are also part of that same installment on that second pc when you have them in the game. As long as no one else uses that second installment to play, it doesn't matter which version of the game it is and how many addons it has. It's just the server then, and you'd need those ships there to host with them.

Fred
Fred way not tell this earlier then i had saved some money  ;D but thanks for the clear answer my friend ;)
Tore

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008, 08:28:07 »

Fred way not tell this earlier then i had saved some money  ;D but thanks for the clear answer my friend ;)
Tore

Heh.. I would have for sure, if I would have know.   :'(  :P

And you're welcome.  :)

TerryRussell

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2008, 19:45:11 »

Tore

As I remember, Carl did give you as big a hint that he could, that you should wait until the Vstep Team had worked out the details. But as no-one asked about it after that, I guess it got "put on the back burner".

Capt.Bluebeard

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2008, 20:03:04 »

As I remember, Carl did give you as big a hint that he could, that you should wait until the Vstep Team had worked out the details. But as no-one asked about it after that, I guess it got "put on the back burner".
Maybe you haw right there Terry.A big black haul i think or Alzheimer light ;D as wee say in Norway. and now you say it i remember Carl say that ;) in a post somewhere
Tore ;)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines