Hello Guest July 27, 2024, 00:56:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where does VSTEP draw the line?  (Read 11097 times)

Dave M

• Global Moderator
Re: Where does VSTEP draw the line?
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2008, 23:10:03 »

The next generation PC's will have a processor where the GPU is a part of it. The CPU and the GPU will melt together. The DirectX version which will use this is DirectX 11 (which depends on the new Windows 7)
(..just recently been reading this at Norway's most popular computer hardware news site) ;)

Anyway...when will DirectX 10 graphics come to Ship Simulator...or is it already supported?
Talking about draw the line here if DirectX 10 still isn't avaiable for this game... :P

This is my CPU;

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad  CPU   Q9450  @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs)

So I have 4 CPU's, each one having 2 cores. In effect I have 8 processors?
CPU builders get more and more from each one they design but...

As TerryRussell has said, "at least two of them are laying about in the sun enjoying a lager or two".
It takes 'Windows' to give them a task to do.

The CPU and GPU will not melt together until 'Windows' can handle unlimited memory. In the future it may be able to use all of the processors in a computer but until it can access all of the memory present in a computer then you will have seperate GPU's.

As far as I'm aware DirectX 10 is only fully usable if you have 'Vista'. ShipSim does run under 'Vista' and so can use DirectX 10.

Regards, Dave
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950  @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2008, 11:02:05 »

Nah you just have 4 cores, windows calls them CPUs for some reason, even though some motherboards actually support more than one CPU i think

Dave M

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2008, 21:01:08 »

Hi Person264,
You are right,  :-[
I have just looked at the spec again and I have 4 cores, (it was the Core 2 Quad that threw me).

The comment still stands though. You need an operating system that is able to access all the cores and as much memory as you can put in it, (in my case that is four x 2Gigabyte memory sticks giving 8 Gigabyte in total), before you could do away with GPUs.

Regards, Dave

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2008, 17:18:54 »

The next big step in computing is gunna be quantum computing. At the moment, we aren't really doing anything really radical, everything workings in pretty much the same way (correct me if i'm wrong). Quantum computing has been in the minds of scientist for decades, its just we haven't quite worked it out yet. The discovery of "non-abelian anyons" that work properly is quite a big step forward.

Dave M

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2008, 23:21:26 »

The next big step in computing is gunna be quantum computing.

There have been a lot of 'next big steps' talked about but not many have actually surfaced.

[Memory lane on.]
RISC CPU's, I saw that work!. A 12 MegaHertz 32Bit CPU outperforming Intel's efforts at the time. (Unfortunately it wasn't an Intel CPU and didn't have 'MS' support and so it was ignored).

Computer memory, using one single bit to have three different states, (instead of two), -1, 0, +1. (Same as above). This memory is a bit hazy in 'memory lane' but I know that at the time the developers were claiming that it would mean unlimited memory for your computer.
[Memory lane off]

All of the developements up until now have been limited by the 'backward compatability' that 'Intel' and 'MS' want for their products. This is good news for us at the moment but........ Soon we will hit a barrier where we can't have faster processors because of the heat generated and the power needs of the more powerful CPUs.

Computers are like cars. A car's engine hasn't changed in it's basic operation since it was first invented in the late 1800's, the way a computer works hasn't changed significantly since 'Babbage' in 1834. (A bit over the top but makes the point  ;) .)

dustytrails

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2008, 14:24:53 »

....and traffic on roads,,etc,and they should endorse so the game play more realistic. ;) ;D

firestar12

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2008, 14:47:09 »

....and traffic on roads,,etc,and they should endorse so the game play more realistic. ;) ;D
Hello Dustytrails, This is a very old topic. No need in bringing it back up eh? I shall lock it to insure that doesnt happen again ;)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines