Hello Guest September 21, 2024, 15:08:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rope  (Read 1200 times)

naauriis

• Forum member
rope
« on: September 29, 2008, 22:01:16 »

hi do you now why when you take tow line from tugboat to other ship and when you start work with full speed the rope begin to get longer and longer so when I take 25m long rope after 5-10 inits rope is 50 or 55 metres long
ships moddeler

TerryRussell

Re: rope
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 22:36:46 »

Hi naauriis.

This belongs in "General Discussions". I'll move it there for you and you're more likely to get a reply.

Please don't post anything in the "Ship Simulator 2008" area, except Technical Support requests for the demo version.

Thank you.

I suspect the reason you're havng this problem is that you have an older version of Ship Simulator installed. The updated versions don't seem to display that tendency.

But bear in mind that in real life, the ropes will stretch if you try to drag a ship too hard. It's just that the ones in the simulator don't snap!

You can get the updates here:
http://www.shipsim.com/downloads/patches.php

You can download my flowchart that givs you the correct order of installation of the updates from here:
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,7737.0.html
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 22:39:13 by TerryRussell »

Jayshum

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 23:30:02 »

Hi Terry.

I have the lastest patch installed (all correct, working fine as well), and this still occurs, especially in the Bugsier when over 50% throttle is applied.

eviss

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 23:51:46 »

Hi all,

I had that experiance sometime ago, as I remeber correctly. (Bugsier2 vs Ocean Star) :o

The reset of the situation / mission / game was the solution, I believe.

Retry again after restart and you'll see it works then !  ;D

vr. gr. / kind regards Erik

(version 1.4.2 / build 1038 / all correct, working fine as well)
THX SF!
Redfox
"Dover-Calais in the same environement !"

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 00:21:42 »

Hi Terry.

I have the lastest patch installed (all correct, working fine as well), and this still occurs, especially in the Bugsier when over 50% throttle is applied.

This is a good point brought up here, it happens to me to for bugsier, and some of other vessels, i think the simulator should allow the rope to snap in half and part of another realistic feature, and if you wish to re-use it again you would have to wait 1 min for the rope to be replaced(like a loading bar(transparent), same with the mooring line to, it may bet annoying a bit but if you want realism, this game will have it.

I'm all about 100% realism,
Third Mate :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 00:23:31 by Third Mate »

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Jayshum

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 18:35:40 »

I'm so much bothered about the rope snapping (I'd much rather have the winch working ;)), but I'd like to have this problem fixed in a future patch.

Eviss, I'll try that next time I'm on.

TerryRussell

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 19:31:35 »

It may be graphics related as well. Since the 1.4.2 patch, I haven't found the problem any more. But I just tried it on my server PC, which has a lower quality card, and it does stretch a little. But nowhere near as much as it used to.

As I said above, they stretch in real life if you apply too much pull. If you want realism, keep the power right down. No tug would aply that much force to a hawser. You'd kill someone when the haswer snapped or the deckplates came away from the ship!

Jayshum

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 23:56:59 »

Oh I play as realistically as possible!

llamalord

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 00:17:39 »

I know all about tugging slowly, ::)

On my lake I had to tow a Jetski in trouble and I pulled the jetski down into the water the second my boat went into gear. :D

We might be laughing but the Jetski-er had been dry until then. ;)
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

www.llamalord
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines