Hello Guest September 20, 2024, 05:30:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Elbe, Steering Wheel.  (Read 4869 times)

orcades

• Forum member
Elbe, Steering Wheel.
« on: September 09, 2008, 08:41:16 »

Hello all,

I have just tried the 'Elbe' and there seems to be one glitch with the graphic for the steering-wheel, on my copy when I apply starboard helm, the steering wheel graphic turns to port i.e. anti-clockwise.

Regards,

RJK

• Forum member
Re: Elbe, Steering Wheel.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 12:55:33 »

My steering seems fine. The only thing I've noticed so far is the engine telegraph makes no sound. The Furie makes the bell sound you would expect but my Elbe is silent. I don't know if it's supposed to have sound or not, but if that's the only problem I can live with that. Beautiful boat though. Worth the wait as far as I'm concerned.

Russ K

gusten

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 14:32:32 »

I have the same in my computer with steering wheel  at the Elbe.

Gusten

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 14:49:19 »

My steering seems fine. The only thing I've noticed so far is the engine telegraph makes no sound. The Furie makes the bell sound you would expect but my Elbe is silent. I don't know if it's supposed to have sound or not, but if that's the only problem I can live with that. Beautiful boat though. Worth the wait as far as I'm concerned.

Russ K

Guess the ELBE has a direct engine steering for the diesel, the FURIE not. So there is a need for the steamer to give twice an optical and an acoustic signal for the engine crew and back to the helmsman/master. Same for the TITANIC by the way. Well, it would be quite nice, if some of the modern vessels (perhaps the ELBE...) will have the sound of the pneumatic engine steering, which means a whizz through the air, when changing the engines speed.

Oh - and the wheel should turn correct. As one of the developers told me, our eyes are not fast enough to see it correct.. ;)

Regards
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

TerryRussell

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 16:29:47 »

The steering wheel does turn correctly, but to expand on what Bottman said, it is like the Wild West stage-coach wheel in some films. Sometimes they look as though they are going backwards because of "strobe effect".

Same with the Elbe wheel on some PCs. It looks fine on mine, but on yours it may appear backwards sometimes.

orcades

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 16:52:27 »

Ok, thanks for the replies, I guess I'll have to live with it.

Cheers,

gusten

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 20:37:34 »

Ok thanks for the replies.

Gusten

RJK

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 20:46:40 »

Gusten,
I looked at the models on your website. Very nice, you must have a lot of patience. I like your son's fishing boat model too.

Russ K

firestar12

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 21:26:39 »

Guess the ELBE has a direct engine steering for the diesel, the FURIE not. So there is a need for the steamer to give twice an optical and an acoustic signal for the engine crew and back to the helmsman/master. Same for the TITANIC by the way. Well, it would be quite nice, if some of the modern vessels (perhaps the ELBE...) will have the sound of the pneumatic engine steering, which means a whizz through the air, when changing the engines speed.

Oh - and the wheel should turn correct. As one of the developers told me, our eyes are not fast enough to see it correct.. ;)

Regards
Lol. He made that up so you would think there was nothing rong with it. lol.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 22:06:32 »

Russ K

So you guys complain about the noise and now you complain about no noise!

RJK

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 23:01:30 »

So you guys complain about the noise and now you complain about no noise!

Don't really know what you're talking about when you say "complain about the noise" but if you read my post above carefully you'll find that it was an observation not a complaint.

Russ K

Jayshum

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 23:13:19 »

I think the Elbe is lovely. The only problem is, her Captain's quarters are quite the 'lobster pot'. I can walk in there, but can't walk out!

Not something that bothers me though.

firestar12

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 23:32:08 »

I think the Elbe is lovely. The only problem is, her Captain's quarters are quite the 'lobster pot'. I can walk in there, but can't walk out!

Like Davy Jonses locker right?!

UrbanCaveCaptain

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 00:25:14 »

She's a beatiful ship! I just wanted to point out that in "walk" mode the deck wheels are visible but in both orbit (external) views the wheels aren't there! The posts that hold them are but no wheels. Anyone else having this problem?

Yeah, the Captains quarters are your prison. lol Easy enough to reset the view though. ;)

Third Mate

• Forum member
Re: Elbe, completely new engine sounds
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 04:01:47 »

Regards

carrying on from bottoman's post,

Im going a little off topic here, because i though it was not very urgent to start a new one... anyway i do not own a copy of Elbe yet, but when i looked at the video i noticed that it has the same engine sounds as Farimouth Shepra, according to my calculations she should have  completely different engine sounds or engines, is VSTEP trying to "cut" corners by using a similar engine sound for this new vessel that has a tug's job or is a tug? Because i know by fact that for some reason that vessel will defently have a much different engine noise, just don't have the evidence to prove it at the moment. But i can tell you this it has been done with the pushboat to because i saw a video of a pushboat once and that sounded much different.

But on the other hand i am very excited to get Elbe i saw a few new things ;), oh and here are some pics of elbe in real life http://news.webshots.com/album/563592523uoofpj - i think that's the "right" Elbe
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 04:10:40 by Third Mate »

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

orcades

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 14:25:13 »

I tried the 'Elbe' again to see if I was perhaps mistaken, but I still seem to have the outer part of the steering wheel turning anti-clockwise when turning to starboard. Bizarrely the inner part of the wheel sometimes turns the correct way.

Just for the record my graphics setup is two ATI 4870s in crossfire mode, not sure if that has anything to do with my graphics glitch.

Slightly off-topic, but the sound effects are dire in this model, and I doubt very much that this tug would've had/has an engine that revs to 1000rpm, I would've thought somewhere about 400rpm would be more realistic, with a nice exhaust note.

mvsmith

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 14:47:34 »

Orcades,
As has been explained, a stroboscopic optical illusion makes it appear that the wheel turns in the opposite direction. Your own observation that the inner wheel appears to behave differently bears this out.

You could, if you are really curious, try turning the wheel with the mouse. This will confirm that the wheel does turn in the correct direction. Also, by spinning the wheel at different speeds with the mouse you can observe the stroboscopic effect in detail. At some speeds it will appear to turn in the opposite direction. 

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 15:57:21 »

It would have been a good compromise to reduce the rudders speed, both the helm and the rudder itself. But I couldn't convince the developers to do me the favour. Now they are both way too fast, here and on almost every other vessel.. :-[

Regards
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!

mvsmith

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 16:44:30 »

You are right, in most cases, Michael.
Imagine the complaints, however, if Titanic’s rudder took the full 30 seconds to go hard over. There is realism, and there is too-real realism.
I would actually like to see Titanic with her slow rudder because she would be an interesting challenge to handle, even though my T2 mission would have to be re-done in order to make it possible to complete.
Regards,
Marty

I wonder why, if one is steering with the keyboard, one is paying any attention at all to the motion of the wheel. The rudder response is shown on the HUD.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 16:53:27 by mvsmith »

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 18:44:17 »

Well, it is just strange to see for example the giant rudder of the LATITUDE jumping from hard to hard without batting an eyelid. ::)
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!

orcades

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 18:44:40 »

mvsmith and Bottman, thanks for the replies, I think I understand what you're getting at. I guess I wasn't prepared for rudder to go from hardover to hardover, so fast you can't see the wheel. I wish my day-job ship had rudders like that!!!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 07:43:13 by orcades »

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 18:56:13 »

I agree - and I hope, my head and my hands are off the wheel when it starts turning that wild! ;D
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!

gusten

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 20:12:58 »

RJK Thank you for your kind words about my boats, yes I have lot of patience and it takes time to make details.

Gusten

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 21:12:20 »

Hello,
About that wheel, the information bar shows the order given by the controls, not the position of the rudder, (SollWert <-> IstWert). If the version of the Elbe dynamics is the original one, the time from hardover to hardover was set at 7 sec. That of Titanic 2 is 17 sec.
To get a normal speed, one would have to use the mouse (and turn slowly) or use the keyboard in small steps...
Regards,
Luc
Edit: For Latitude, it is 37sec for the 2 x 45deg, so 28 sec for 2 x 35 (or is it 30 to 35?), just at the maximum value
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 21:26:56 by LucAtC »

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2008, 21:26:48 »

Hi Luc,

I know that. But the impression is quite different to the well performed dynamics. You can see the rudder moving very fast, that's a fact. ;)

Best regards
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines