Hello Guest April 29, 2024, 20:17:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to manouver a boat/ship/canoe  (Read 22331 times)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
Re: How to drive a boat...
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2007, 22:21:47 »

I'd be like 'Left a bit, right a bit, straighten her up.....BANG!!'  :P

Oh right. So you were once the skipper of the Pride of Aquitaine?

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2007, 22:24:08 »

Oh right. So you were once the skipper of the Pride of Aquitaine?

Stu

I don't even know what that is lol

I've just decided on a new name for myself, for when Multiplayer is released ;)

DJMindThatBoatWhatBoat[SPLAT]

So, watch out when I'm on the water guys, you thought 'Jaws' was bad, you ain't seen nothing yet :P
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2007, 22:26:53 »

I don't even know what that is lol

I've just decided on a new name for myself, for when Multiplayer is released ;)

DJMindThatBoatWhatBoat[SPLAT]

So, watch out when I'm on the water guys, you thought 'Jaws' was bad, you ain't seen nothing yet :P
The Pride of Aquitaine was a lovely ship. Far too big for her oiginal Ostende-Dover route. 31000 tonne. Proper deep sea canoe. Now operates with LD lines and is leased from Stena.

I like your new name. I will remind you of that post and I expect you to use it now!

Have to laugh at that ship. Mr Stena bought it for Mrs Stena... For an anniversary present... WHat the hell happened to a new toaster or microwave etc or romantic holiday. He buys her a SHIP???

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

kerdezixe

• Forum member
Re: How to manouver a boat/ship/canoe
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2007, 23:00:36 »

No James, you carry on with your research.

I'm fascinated by this. People keep comparing rudder/props to the airflow over aircraft wings... Well, I'm half way through getting my pilots licence, and the theoretics of flight (and the learning to fly) is much less complicated than manouvering a 30,000 tonne ship to within 1/4 inch of the berth.

Anyway, we're getting away from the media part of this forum. I for one am fascinated and I'm sure others will be.

Stu

I do believe that driving a small plane is easier than drive a huge boat ;)
I don't know plane and boat in Real Life, just tried simulation. But i have some experience in RC plane and simulation.
I know some theory too, i have the "user manual" of an A320 Airbus Plane.
Simulation, plane or boat, are far from reality.

Huge plane are not that hard to pilot, because they are heavily assisted by computers. The computers on modern plane won't let you do anything dangerous. In fact, a commercial plane could fly alone, without human. (yes, landing too !!)

Let's talk about the theory for flying and landing a huge plane with one dead engine and, suddenly, driving a boat will seem really easy :)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
Re: How to manouver a boat/ship/canoe
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2007, 23:12:09 »

I think that to say a commercial aircraft can fly and land itself without human interaction is a little over simplified.

It is true to say that ILS has evolved into automatic landing. But few planes are equipped. It was actually a DeHavilland project back 40 years ago, so you have to give them time...

The computers help the pilots navigate and will even interrupt control movements it thinks are dangerous. I understand that many pilots distrust these computers and override them routinely.

It has also been suggested that computers don't rect correctly in an emergency. I'm sure they will get better. Have a look a youtube. the first airbus automatic landing... it crashed. The computer failed to manage engine throttle correctly.

Stu
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines