Hello Guest September 18, 2024, 14:32:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I don't understand this??  (Read 2809 times)

NathanC

I don't understand this??
« on: June 04, 2008, 06:20:09 »

Why on this forum, as soon as a Virtual Sailor topic is made, it's almost instantly locked, but making a topic for any other game is ok? Look how many i found

http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,7995.0.html
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,4087.0.html
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,5764.0.html
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,6021.0.html
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,5278.0.html

Is there something about these games or the others i found that's special? VS gets locked so quick but any other topic about other games are fine ???

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
Re: I don't understand this??
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 06:23:54 »

Well..  VS is the competition. And normally there would be mutual respect amongst forums of "rival" games, right?

But have you talked about SS much on the VS forum?
I tried, and got nothing but a flamewar, and later, a ban.
I'm told SS is a No-No subject there... And that's just not very nice, in my book.

So, and I only speak for myself, I think the lack of respect for Shipsim on their forum, might make some of us a bit biassed towards VS topics on ours!   ;D

Fred

NathanC

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 06:31:43 »

ok, but what about the other games, like Ports of Call, thats a rival game?

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 06:39:48 »

Not really. I don't really know that one to be honest, but I thought that was not really a simulator, not like SS or VS are.

Plus, they don't bash SS on a forum, at least again, not that I have heard of.   ;D

Fred

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 12:33:57 »

i just watch the vid for Ports of Call and it look like that cargo ships is doing 80kn+ and it stops dead and start up so fast only one thing i can say the ships do have lights and so do the ports
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 12:37:28 by pauljanaway1 »

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 22:08:35 »

I understand both parts here, when i say both parts i mean for and against posting topics on other games. In a sence i do not see any harm in general questions about other games but i do understand the fact that they are rival games but to me it dosen't make a difference. I also made a topic asking about whether virtual sailor did a disk edition rather than a download and it was locked straight away, i found it a bit annoying to be honest because at that time i was moving house, remember? and at that time i didn't have an e-mail address, so that meant i couldn't register on the virtual sailor forum to ask about my question. And i did ask a moderator about this and eventually my only choice was to set up an e-mail account with google mail just for a simple question that could be answered on the forum here! and i am a regular player here and i do spend much time on SS08 so i feel that a general question from me or any other player should be answered regardless of what game the person in question is asking about. Also, i can't recall there being any mention of asking questions about other games isn't allowed in the forum rules? (correct me if i am wrong)

I can see where Nathan is coming from with this topic, no disrespect to the moderators or anything like that, we are just interested to know why. :)

here is the topic i made: http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,7401.0.html

Kind Regards
IRI5HJ4CK
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 22:14:48 by IRI5HJ4CK »
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 22:25:43 »

It's simple, go on the VS forum, and ask a question about Shipsim. And see how they react to that.  ;)   ;D

But seriously. We can't answer a lot of the VS questions here, as we're not the VS forum.
Sure, some easy questions can be answered as a lot of people here probably have VS too.
I personally don't mind general questions, but I frown upon VS screenshot or video galleries. They simply don't belong here and neither do bigger question, mostly of a technical nature, for example.

For me, I'd say it's mostly the rude behaviour I experienced on their forum agaist all things SS, that makes me think/say: "let's shut down most of the irrelevant VS content here, as it is not about SS". But again, I can only speak for myself.

And you can of course visit their main website without an email adress, and there's probably enough info to answer that question you had right there on their site aswell. I mean, that IS where you buy the game from, so in the case of "does it come in a disk version", the answer should be there. If there was no mention of it, it doesn't!  ;D

You didn't have to go through the trouble of making an account, or asking here, even, if you had just gone to their products page and had noticed the lack (or presence) of a disc version. I mean, if it's not mentioned in the "how to buy" part of an official site, it's probably safe to say it doesn't exsist.  ;D

But that's just my 2 cents..

Fred

NathanC

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 06:11:41 »

Locking all the VS topics straight away, but leaving other game topics like FSX open, make me wonder if VSTEP is embarrassed to have topics about a VS on there forum?

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 07:40:11 »

Locking all the VS topics straight away, but leaving other game topics like FSX open, make me wonder if VSTEP is embarrassed to have topics about a VS on there forum?

I don't think so, but this is the official Ship Simulator forum and we are meant to discuss Ship Simulator. Comparing SS to other games including VS is all right, but what we have seen here is an increase of specific questions regarding VS. Those questions aren't related to SS at all and they should be raised in the VS forum instead.

If you have a problem with your Linux, you don't seek a solution in a Microsoft forum, do you?

Regards
Jacob

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 13:49:20 »

And remember, VSTEP is not locking them, it's us, the mods..  ;D

And we're not locking all VS topics right away either. If there is a valid reason for a topic about VS, we'll leave that be of course. But some people keep posting screenshots, video's and irrelevant questions that our staff cannot answer. Sure some members may be able, but VS discussions basically belong on the VS forum. As I said, you wont find many SS discussions there either! So do you ask about SS on that forum too? If so you must have noticed the same thing I have.. right?

Other games that are not a direct 'competitor' are different. And this is not just the case here. Try looking for Lock-On discussions on a Falcon 4 forum.. or rFactor discussions on the LFS forum..  Etc. You'll see a similar thing.

As Groennegaard says, for specific questions, go to a specific forum. That's where you'll find help.
We've closed down topics about other games too, if and when they got too specific to be relevant.

The last thing we need is fanboi-ish discussions about which is better or nicer or cheaper or whatever. I've seen such discussions escalate to nasty proportions on - for example - forums like the above mentioned. And I don't think we really need that here. We haven't had any so far, and that's a good thing in my opinion.

So once a fair question about the competitor game is answered, or links have been given to help someone out, the topic is irrelevant and in my opinion has no purpose to be left open, really. But hey, that's just what I think. And if a question or topic is to specific, then again indeed, there is a better place for that on the VS forum.

Regards,
Fred

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 14:16:25 »

i just had a look at there forum and it is a free hosting forum. it is not very good ours is a lot better.

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 14:48:44 »

Try mine...Or ask me. I know a lot about VS ;)

|
|
|
V

NathanC

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 15:01:39 »

I don't think so, but this is the official Ship Simulator forum and we are meant to discuss Ship Simulator. Comparing SS to other games including VS is all right, but what we have seen here is an increase of specific questions regarding VS. Those questions aren't related to SS at all and they should be raised in the VS forum instead.

If you have a problem with your Linux, you don't seek a solution in a Microsoft forum, do you?

Regards
Jacob

*Sighs* But what about the other games, like FSX and Ports of Call - read my message again, i asked why that VS topics were locked and other games were not, is VSTEP embarrased about VS?

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 16:03:46 »

I hate their forum. I think it is unprofessional. That's why I didn't register.

Well..  VS is the competition. And normally there would be mutual respect amongst forums of "rival" games, right?

But have you talked about SS much on the VS forum?
I tried, and got nothing but a flamewar, and later, a ban.
I'm told SS is a No-No subject there... And that's just not very nice, in my book.

So, and I only speak for myself, I think the lack of respect for Shipsim on their forum, might make some of us a bit biassed towards VS topics on ours!   ;D

Fred

Agreed, lets lock every VS topic here! ;D

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 17:02:28 »

*Sighs* But what about the other games, like FSX and Ports of Call - read my message again, i asked why that VS topics were locked and other games were not, is VSTEP embarrased about VS?

I answered you in my previous post.  :)

So no, VSTEP is not...Why would VSTEP be embarassed about VS?  They have a better sim, better support and a better forum here.  ;D

Fred

precar

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 00:18:20 »

Deleted my post as not important.

Barry
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 20:31:03 by precar »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines