Hello Guest September 29, 2024, 00:21:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: World Wide Travel  (Read 5167 times)

Rotary

• Forum member
World Wide Travel
« on: June 09, 2007, 22:31:05 »

Hello,

I recently bought Ship Simulator 2006 and I realize that there are only certain areas in the map you can maneuver to. If anyone played the Flight Simulator, that game is so realistic that you can fly anywhere in the world. I am not comparing both games to each other but I hope that the new SS2008 would allow the players to sail anywhere in the world without boundaries. Cheers!

Rotary

Captain Davies

• Forum member
Re: World Wide Travel
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 22:48:25 »

Sorry, not this time.

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 08:31:54 »

How do you expect a game which has been going nearly a year to do that?! Sorry, we will have to wait a bit longer...! ;D

Best Regards
Shipaddict ;)

Captain Kool

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 15:02:08 »

Microsoft - Multi billion $ company,
Vstep - Million dollar (if that) company see the difference?
Microsoft can afford a team of hundreds of programmers and designers etc.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 00:29:17 »

I think you are missing one important point.

Most of the land in flightsim is generated by reference to satellite photos and DEMs (digital elevation maps) with only certain areas (that you will see) detailed to any great extent. In most cases the terrain is auto generated.

In ship sim the need for accurate coast line would make your request impossible, even for a big company like micromush.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Britannic

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 12:05:35 »

;D Micromush- love it!

Anyway, isnt the wholoe point of a ship sim as opposed to a flight sim that its about how you drive the boat, appreciate its dynamics and enjoy the ride/ etc. SS08 sounds like its gonna have MORE than enough to satisfy sailing. i know the point in history was to sail to explore, but unless Vstep unleash a loada unimaginable islands and turn the game into a crocodile hunt with dinos thrown in, the point in sailing around the globe seems somewhat moot, especially as hardware would shoot up if you tried something like that.

Just saying is all. :D

When Ive finished Media college Ive got many desired jobs, one being; Simulator making!

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 18:51:00 »

My idea for this issue:

http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,430.msg4035.html#msg4035 (http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,430.msg4035.html#msg4035)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 19:14:19 by Captain Davies »

CG Rocker

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 19:16:27 »

I remember when "Micromush" flight simulator first came out they only had certain areas you could fly in. Even they didn't have it where you can fly all over the world in the first editions.

chrism

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 19:57:02 »

Flight sim goes back to 1995 or 1994, its 13 years of design on terrain. and its mostley because its microsoft who has the resources to do a thing like that. and its just boring seeing water and no end, its nice seeing the land and manuevering around it. and as Stuart said with the satellite, its just a bunch of trees placed here and there :P
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 19:59:10 by chrism »

muns

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 23:09:10 »

Microsoft Flight Simulator has evolved from its origin as SubLogics Flight Simulator (originally on the Apple II) in 1979!!!!!!

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 03:11:38 »

Ah, I wondered what happened to the famous/infamous sublogic.

Very advanced for its day if I remember- but hard to get hold of.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

muns

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 07:43:33 »

subLOGIC was bought by Sierra in 1995. The subLOGIC name is no longer used; related products are released under the Dynamix label also owned by Sierra.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 01:10:13 »

Thanks for that. I remember the 737 simulator. VERY advanced for its time!

Stu

Britannic

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 18:20:11 »

Aye- I got 'a game called 'Falcon' on a 5 inch floppy. (command line app)Tried to run it on an old BBC computer. If i recall corectly, it crashed and wouldnt load. ::) ??? :o
When Ive finished Media college Ive got many desired jobs, one being; Simulator making!

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 10:14:37 »

Hello,

I recently bought Ship Simulator 2006 and I realize that there are only certain areas in the map you can maneuver to. If anyone played the Flight Simulator, that game is so realistic that you can fly anywhere in the world. I am not comparing both games to each other but I hope that the new SS2008 would allow the players to sail anywhere in the world without boundaries. Cheers!

Rotary

you must be joking my grandkids very old before you can sail to every port planet (i'm only 17 before any says i allready have grandkids)
my collecton of ship sim pics
http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm9/pauljanaway1/

huang yu po peter

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 07:25:42 »

I think you are missing one important point.

Most of the land in flightsim is generated by reference to satellite photos and DEMs (digital elevation maps) with only certain areas (that you will see) detailed to any great extent. In most cases the terrain is auto generated.

In ship sim the need for accurate coast line would make your request impossible, even for a big company like micromush.

Stu
I agree, FS terrians look banzai. But i think world wide terrians in shipsim will be a good idea!

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 08:58:00 »

If the whole world is going to be included we talk about thousands of ports, millions of navigation and sea marks that is going to be placed according to real nautical charts + dozens of landmarks, cities, towns, facilities, bridges etc. I wonder if you have any idea how long it will take to make that wish come true...
Besides of this the game engine will also have to be re-programmed so you have "seamless" world travel from one place to another without getting a "loading scenario" screen with a loading bar.

And if the sim is going to be more friendly for night navigation in the future then that just add a new mass of work. But who knows...Microsoft can always start to look this way when they now have a Train Simulator that is based on the FSX engine. I can imagine that they in the near future CUD make a ship simulator on the same engine. But they would have to collect a lot of information for all the ports. Because I think it's more ports and harbors in this world than airports.
My music: www.jhbrende.com (http://www.jhbrende.com/)

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 10:34:00 »

at a gess i would say we will never get all the port we probley will not even get all the major port for over 20 years
my collecton of ship sim pics
http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm9/pauljanaway1/

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 12:20:04 »

at a gess i would say we will never get all the port we probley will not even get all the major port for over 20 years

Well VSTEP will have to hire more people I guess since 20 years sounds much ;D
My music: www.jhbrende.com (http://www.jhbrende.com/)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines