Hello Guest July 06, 2024, 22:17:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows XP Service Pack 3  (Read 13054 times)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2008, 00:24:50 »

Did you see on the bbc news website about the auction of the worlds worst poetry-

some clever sod had in the comments section that the poet WASNT the worst and we all know the worst poet is paula nancy millstone jenings.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2008, 00:25:47 »

*Cough* Service Pack 3 topic :P
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2008, 00:28:11 »

Yes, sorry DJM. :-[

Can I ask though, does SP3 come with added Marmite?  ;D

OK Back on topic.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2008, 00:28:51 »

Right, where's my gun :P

We should start calling you Mr. O/T ;)

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2008, 00:30:26 »

We should start calling you Mr. O/T ;)
That's an improvement over some of the names lately... :o

TerryRussell

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2008, 00:43:18 »

Well, how about "Cuddlywuddlykins"? That was one a girlfriend used to call me (and still does).

There isn't a smiley icon with a wincing expression, is there?

By the way, SP3 is worth installing. It does seem to bring a little improvement in speed.

TJK

« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2008, 01:03:42 »

Well, how about "Cuddlywuddlykins"? That was one a girlfriend used to call me (and still does).

There isn't a smiley icon with a wincing expression, is there?

By the way, SP3 is worth installing. It does seem to bring a little improvement in speed.
Maybe you can  use some of this Terry

goto this address and you haw 1000's of smiles http://planetsmilies.net/
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 01:08:18 by TJK »

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2008, 09:34:14 »

As mentioned before, SP3 apparently may cause problems on some computer-systems, as described in this article I just came across..  Don't know if there is a patch for it yet..;)

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9086118

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2008, 10:00:06 »

Some serious issues there saltydog :o

I noticed another article on that site, relating to Symantec products too, not a good situation at all ::)

Thanks for the link ;)

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2008, 11:38:26 »

I've now updated my first post in this topic, with a warning :)

TerryRussell

« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2008, 19:45:47 »

I've installed SP3 on eight different PCs now, ranging from Laptops to Desktops, 1GB processors with 2GB Ram up to Quad core 4GB RAM. Norton 2003, 2004, 360, AVG 7 and AVG 8. Not had any problems yet.

I have had a couple of clients report problems, but each time, it turned out that the problem was caused by some other underlying problem (disk errors and "iffy" RAM).

By and large the SP should work OK for the vast majority of people. That doesn't help if you're one of the tiny minority of course...

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2008, 19:55:57 »

Same here Terry.  I've installed Service Pack 3 on this PC, and my server without any problems ;)

2 members of my family have also installed it, same result :)

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2008, 01:12:11 »

I think I'll just wait for Microsoft to "flip the switch" for the automatic update.. ;)

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2008, 09:59:42 »

A sound plan saltydog ;)

TerryRussell

« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2008, 17:42:37 »

I think I'll just wait for Microsoft to "flip the switch" for the automatic update.. ;)

That process is already under way. As usual, the English / American language ones go first and the other languages get updated over the following weeks. It should be with you soon!

Tom91

• Forum member
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2008, 10:38:59 »

Running SP3 no problems  ;)

Mad Bossy

• Forum member
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2008, 10:42:48 »

Dito   :)

Captain Best

• Forum member
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2008, 19:16:31 »

mee to. i did install i a few weeks ago ;D

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2008, 01:45:41 »

I can say the same.

Running Vista Ultimate no problems.  :P ::)

TerryRussell

« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2008, 20:17:07 »

And just to break the jolity, my wife installed SP3 on her Rockwell Gaming Laptop and it screwed up completely!  ::)  :'(

There is a bug with Laptops particularly (although it could affect other PCs) which can mess up the biosinfo.inf file. When that happens you can't even get to safe mode.

I had to boot it using a special version of Unix that I've developed that can access NTFS and bypass all the security settings. I then had to do a sector edit and hand-insert the missing file. Then we had to re-install Windows XP as an over-write function.

The vast majority of people in this situation would have had to wipe the machine, loose everything and reload Windows. Not good.

So, SP3 can cause problems. The other 10 machines I've done it with were OK.

I did some reasearch and Microsoft have a page in their knowledgebase that sort of relates to this. It looks like you should manually disable your antivirus when installing SP3 to avoid this problem. I'm not going to test that, though. It took hours to fix it the first time!

Tom91

• Forum member
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2008, 19:38:31 »

Hi terry when this happened did it happen straight after installing sp3?Recently my computer (after i cleaned out the fans etc)powers up but doesnt boot theres no bleep and no picture (its not the monitor or the graphics card ive tried swapping them) I installed sp3 a while ago so could it have messed up my BIOS?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 19:41:51 by Tom91 »

TerryRussell

« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2008, 19:43:52 »

No, this was when restarted after the installation, it was immediately dead. All of the problems relating to SP3 seem to show immediately.

In any case, there's no way that a Windows update would stop you getting to the BIOS start up sequence (beeps, lots of writing on the screen etc before the "Starting Windows" sequence)

When you cleaned the fans you very probably moved a card or a memory chip by accident. It is almost always down to something coming loose.

If you know what you're doing, try pushing them down into their slots (carefully). If you're not absslutely sure, get someone who does know to do it for you. Don't risk it otherwise, as you might permanently damage your PC.

Tom91

• Forum member
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2008, 19:46:11 »

i tried swapping out the 7600gs for my old 5500 card and still the same.Tried just 1 stick of memory still the same so im pretty stuck  ???I also made sure i was touching the case BEFORE touching any components in the pc everytime so its unlikely anythings been fried by static
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 19:49:06 by Tom91 »

TerryRussell

« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2008, 19:51:18 »

ONLY IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING: Try taking the memory sticks out completely (observe proper anti-static precautions whenever you touch anything inside the PC, of course).

If the PC beeps, then you've found the problem. Try reinserting carefully.

If that fails, it's probably worth taking it to a computer shop and getting them to wiggle things around for you.

It is possible that something came loose and its blown some other component. Could be anything from processor downwards. Could even be a missing voltage from the PSU if something got shorted out.

Sorry.  :'(

Tom91

• Forum member
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2008, 19:54:11 »

Okay yeah im pretty sure its busted but thanks anyway.Im building up a new PC now anyways so w/e lol
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines