Hello Guest September 20, 2024, 00:33:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Difficulty in registering to download product  (Read 2162 times)

tusler

• Forum member
Difficulty in registering to download product
« on: March 31, 2008, 11:34:13 »

I decided to download the upgrade to Ship Simulator 2008.   Unfortunately, I seem to be getting problems.   The form to give my details presented me with all the boxes in a cream colour, and I could not see what I had typed in them.   It was possible to see afterwards the contents of the box by running the cursor over it, when the lettering became visible in white on a blue background.   So I have attempted to register.   When I try to register I am told that the registration email has been sent to my email address (which is correct).   I have tried this process three times now and still not received the email.

This registration process is even more difficult than handling the fast ferry!

Robert

Posting this message had the required effect - the validation messages promptly appeared in my in tray.   Now to see if they work!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 11:35:48 by tusler »

Paul_VSTEP

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Forum member
Re: Difficulty in registering to download product
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 11:47:30 »

Tools like google toolbar (and it's autofill function) have been known to change the color of a textbox to pale yellow/cream. The textboxes should be gray (with white text). That's a client side issue.

If your activation mail isn't sent to you (for whatever reason, like getting stuck in some spam filter) you can manually resend the mail on the following page: https://www.shipsim.com/secure/activation+request.php

tusler

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 18:16:28 »

Well, I succeeded in registering an account and yesterday placed an order for New Horizons.   I was informed by the system that I would receive an email giving me the code to authorise the download, and another containing a code for installing the system after downloading.   I have received neither of these emails.   Does anybody have any information about how long this takes - is it a manual process, or is it automatic?

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 18:17:29 »

Well, I succeeded in registering an account and yesterday placed an order for New Horizons.   I was informed by the system that I would receive an email giving me the code to authorise the download, and another containing a code for installing the system after downloading.   I have received neither of these emails.   Does anybody have any information about how long this takes - is it a manual process, or is it automatic?

Have you checked your spam folders? Perhaps your email made it there by accident. Don't worry, they should come within time :)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

tusler

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 14:58:29 »

To my surprise I went to my purchases on the home page and there was all that I needed to download and install New Horizons.   I have even completed one of the missions!

There was still a link to 'download information' which did not work!

This company has a remarkable base product which is spoiled by sloppy work around the fringes i.e. administration, internet trading, and untested missions.

Robert

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 15:26:46 »

Hi Robert,
There are, in fact, no untested missions in the game. All have been rigorously tested before being accepted for publication. There are a couple of missions which were OK in version 1.1 but became impossible to run in version 1.3, (see the posts on this subject) but now these missions are playable in version 1.4. Vstep are actually very particular about the testing process, and have a quite large (Unpaid) team of testers who spend many hours trying to make certain that all missions are good and playable. Many of the problems reported on the forum are due to computer hardware problems or other software interfering with the game. 

Angus.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

tusler

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 18:24:19 »

Thank you Angus.   I withdraw the term 'untested missions' and replace it with 'missions that don't work'.   Telling me that this is fixed in 1.4 does not help because 1.4 is not available from the web site.

I can only tell it as I see it as a Chartered IT Professional!

Robert

TerryRussell

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 20:22:03 »

Hi Tusler.

New Horizons IS V1.4.

However, in another thread Bottman acknowledges that there some issues with a couple of the Padstow missions. These were caused by some last minute improvements to the harbour which then adversely affected those missions. They don't seem to affect everyone, but if you approach a couple of waypoints from "unusual" angles you might miss a hidden trigger.

Other than that, I'm not aware of any mission related problems. I don't know from practical experience if all the missions work OK, as I haven't checked many of them.

I am busy writing new ones (just finished testing 8 new Solent-based missions, all tested on V1.3 and 1.4) which takes a fair bit of time, plus some other stuff.

tusler

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 23:20:06 »

Thank you, Terry.   I will try them again.   Does this mean that people who don't spend more money on New Horizons don't get the bug fixes?

Robert

TerryRussell

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 07:52:03 »

Thank you, Terry.   I will try them again.   Does this mean that people who don't spend more money on New Horizons don't get the bug fixes?

Robert

I think there are plans for a "bug fix only" upgrade at some stage, but that's only gossip. I don't know when or if for sure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines