Hello Guest September 22, 2024, 17:33:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PoR bridge  (Read 2015 times)

NathanC

PoR bridge
« on: February 15, 2008, 17:43:41 »

I don't want to be annoying pointing out all the faults, but the PoRs bridge is no-where near realistic in the game.

http://agents.poferries.com/pls/portal/docs/PAGE/VR_TOURS/VR_FILES/EN/INDEX.HTML?linkvar=1&code=huro&location=bridge
Use this virtual tour, select the Hull-Rotterdam route and click "Bridge"

It looks nothing like in the game. Now i know putting all of that un-needed equipment would be a waste of time in the game, but why does the colours on the PoR bridge look like a kitchen?

beechjetkid17

• Forum member
Re: PoR bridge
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 18:58:24 »

i agree...i dont play ship simulator to make my chicken salad ;D
it would be nice if they made it a little bit more realistic

Dan

Vassilis

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 19:45:36 »

If you add the behaviour in turns, the rate of turn ,the rudder problem ......
But  I think the fact for VSTEP is  to  develope and establish a more accurate performance as far as the general profil and charachteristics  of the specific  vessel are concerned .
Of course better enviroment and more realistic colour is always welcomed.

Sail Safely

Vassilis

NathanC

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 19:48:49 »

And another thing, why didn't you guys get the technical data from P&O, surely they would be glad to give out the details to a comapany which was advertising one of their ships in a game? Why not search the web and try to get some data about the PoR?

TerryRussell

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 20:49:58 »

Hi Nathan.

What makes you think they didn't get technical data?

Before everyone jumps on Vstep, you need to be aware of exactly what is involved in 3D modelling. In order to create a ship, the number of individual elements ("polygons") is immense.

Each step, each door, each handle, each window, each railing, each rotating radar dish, each flashing light, each waving flag, each wall, each deck requires a lot of data which your PC must use to calculate what the ship will look like, as it tries to draw it many times each second. As the number of polygons grows, your image will move jerkily. As the number increases further, your PC just won't cope and will crash.

So, it is a series of trade offs. Your PC wants as few polygons as possible, so that it can speedily draw the images. On the other hand, you want as many as possible so that everything looks just like it does in real life.

Inevitably, a designer has to take liberties with reality so that even a medium spec PC will be able to manipulate the data. This is why Titanic has some windows missing and other things. This is why PoR is exactly as detailed as it is.

I have to say that the modellers did an excellent job, within the limitations of computer technology. A round of applause, please!  ;D

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 20:57:12 »

*Aplauds ;D

NathanC

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 08:58:37 »

Hi Nathan.

What makes you think they didn't get technical data?

Because they said in another topic. That good enough reason?  ;D ???

TerryRussell

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 10:00:53 »

Because they said in another topic. That good enough reason?  ;D ???

Yep, if Vstep said so, then that would be good enough!  ;D

Which topic?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines