Hello Guest September 22, 2024, 17:38:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BERTHING AND SINKING ??  (Read 2476 times)

Vassilis

• Forum member
BERTHING AND SINKING ??
« on: February 13, 2008, 21:07:22 »

Hello Friends ,
Trying to do a stern berthing with no wind  something strange is happening .
I enter in harbour and I plan to make a stern berthing in a dock in the port side of the  vessel .
Now what i would  do in  the reality  is a simple manouvre using the anchor.
So when the bow is abeam of the mooring point  I cast the star anchor  ,the engine is slow and the rudder is starboard . In this  way the vessel should start an accelerating turn to starboard because as the anchor is streching  sternward the bow of course normally  turns to starboard . Then I  would cast the port anchor and with the right handling I would  suport and adjust vessel's turn to starboard . Then the  engines astern and the mooring  would follow with the  after backspring and the sternline .
Okey in my situation  in SS when I cast the anchor the ship is sinking immediately turning to the port side!

I am not a pro so if a captain is willing to give a guidence what  basically  is feasible in this simulator would be great!
Sail safely
Vassilis

Captain Darling

• Forum member
Re: BERTHING AND SINKING ??
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 21:32:41 »

Which ship are you in? also which enviroment are you in?
Regards,
James

Vassilis

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 21:40:49 »

Hello James ,

Mainly the POR in Rotterdam and Hamburg but I face this issue with other vessels as well (Vermaas )

regards

Captain Darling

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 21:49:38 »

Hi,

I dont use the anchor to turn the vessel easier :P there has been a few bugs with the anchors ;)

Whereabouts do you berth the POR in hamburg? i thought there wasnt any linkspans there? ???
Regards,
James

mvsmith

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 21:55:38 »

Hi Vassilis
Here is a link to a topic where the Mediterranean Moor is discussed:
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,4690.msg47722.html#msg47722

Anchoring often presents problems.

Regards,
Marty

Vassilis

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 22:01:28 »

Hello ,
I am trying to figure out what is possible to do with this simulator . My intension is  not to play but  to use the sim to  practice the procedures  as accurate  as I could .  Some things are not so realistic  to me  as far as the behaviour of the vessels are concerned .

Vassilis

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 05:45:23 »

I FIND if you are doing any speed ==2 /1-5 knots the vessel will list once past anchor
                                                                                 Eric                                         

mvsmith

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 07:06:24 »

Vassillis,
Dropping the hook with any way on the ship can put her on her beam ends or turn her upside down.
Marty

Vassilis

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 14:07:48 »

Hello Marty,

Do you mean in the reality or in the Ship Sim ?

Anyway I think that is a very basic manouvre using the anchor in the Med Mooring .
It's  a lack of realisme if a vessel like POR turns to sink with 1 knot speed becaused the anchor is casting .

With all the respect to VSTEP I think the  most  important element to achieve is the accuracy of  the ship handlings .
i.e If the ROT is 5% with 5knots and hard rudder ,and if you are dealing  problems to sink  the vessel immediately using the ancors how is possible to manouvre and moore ?

I know that in the forum there are masters that they could give an answer
The fact is that trought any simulator practice and learning is the prime concerne  for a serious simmer.

regards to all
Vassilis

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 15:52:51 »

Vassilis,
In this simulator (but not in real life) if you let go the anchor of a ship it will ONLY go straight to the bottom, it is not possible to pay out cable as in a real situation. In order to carry out the mooring process you wish to do, you must place the ship where you want it and THEN let the anchor go. If it is not quite where you want to be, then pull up the anchor and let it go when you have the ship in the right position. Like any other simulator, it is necessary to use a bit of imagination to make it perform the way you require. Any  kind of motion on the vessel when you do anchor will cause it to heel over or even sink because of this.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Vassilis

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 17:16:45 »

Hello Traddles ,

thank you very much for your answer to my post.
I agree with you for the imagination and maybe for the improvisations to solve this problem in the simulator .  I would modestly say that in a simulator enviroment is very basic matter the percentage of accuracy and realisme you can get . If it is a game to enjoy that's perfect to me but if it is a source of practicing and learning procedures then surely something is maybe missing .
it depends how you see it ....
Definitely it is  a great product with expectations .
 Please feel free to tell how you think about that.
Sail safely

Vassilis

mvsmith

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 17:18:52 »

Vassillis,
If you are looking for a high degree of accuracy in a ship simulator, you have come to the wrong place. Given the resources, time, and economic constraints, VSTEP have done a remarkable job with what has never been advertised as anything other than a game.
The developers keep refining the ship dynamics and try to make the simulator as realistic as possible, but there will always be compromises to be made.
If their market was restricted to only professional seamen, they would follow Auran into receivership.
Regards,
Marty

Vassilis

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 19:14:37 »

Marty ,
You are right maybe what I  am asking is hard to achieve in this simulator .
I know that VSTEP did a great job making this programme .
Maybe some things could be improved in the future but I dont know if it is technically  feasible or not .
Anyway the higher the goal  you plan the better  the result you get ....

Appreciate your help

Sail Safely

Vassilis
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines