Hello Guest September 20, 2024, 07:20:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exceptionally low tides in the Solent?.  (Read 4086 times)

Brian Walker

• Forum member
Exceptionally low tides in the Solent?.
« on: January 01, 2008, 14:16:08 »

Well i reckon it can't be done!. I've been on line a few times and witnessed tankers coming a cropper, going aground trying to turn the Bramble Bank in particular, so i took the safe option today and came in from the West on 'free roam'.  All was fine until approaching the presumably, NE Gurnard bouy.  Anyway i was in deep channel with 17 metres of wet stuff beneath me, when all of a sudden i took on damage after apparently running aground.  I was stuck.

living at Calshot and often popping down for a bit of ship spotting, i've yet to see ships of any size experiencing such problems. I can only assume that VSTEP have programmed either the Solent water too
shallow or the big ships draught to deep.  Either way, i think Fawley is heading for an oil shortage *chuckle*.

Incidentally, any real life seafarers out there know what the actual draught  of tankers should be, fully laden?.  Regards, Brian

Bottman

• Global Moderator
Re: Exceptionally low tides in the Solent?.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 14:39:29 »

Hi Brian,

you are right! All environments are programmed with the lowest possible tide and the maximum draught of the vessels. Unfortunately that will not change before the developers have implemented the tidal influences and/or a kind of a ship editor for fine tuning of the draught and other specifications.

Cheers
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 15:05:59 »

For a list of tankers, you can also look at
http://www.tankersinternational.com/fleet_list.php?type=1&order=year_up
or for some links and characteristics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanker_(ship)
Regards,
Luc
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 15:07:58 by LucAtC »

Brian Walker

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 15:39:17 »

Gordon Bennet!.. That's English for 'I say, that's incredible!' Luc *smile*.  I just looked up that first site. That means all tankers need at least over 60 feet of water under 'em.  When the tides out here at Calshot, you can practically walk across to Cowes.  looks like the next ship download from VSTEP is going to have to be a dredger,right?.  Cheers, Brian.

LucAtC

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 15:54:01 »

Hello Brian,
Yes, you are right, there was also a discussion about Calshot
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,1671.0.html
but it is not impossible that since then depths could have been modified in ShipSim, cheaper than designing/building a dredger (but less interesting, of course).
Good luck with your shipspotting. You certainly know this site too?
http://www.ais-live.co.uk/AIS%20Live/aissolent.html
Regards,
Luc

Brian Walker

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 16:42:06 »

Hello Luc, yes i have that AIS site on my fav list, though i am not primarily a ship spotter but one of aircraft.  The data on that AIS site is similarly transmitted by aircraft, and is refered to as S Mode.  I have a reciever and prog called SBS1 by Kinetics Aviation that allows a virtual radar on my pc. On spotting a particular aircraft approaching on screen, i can then go into the garden with the binos and see the real item.  Radio communication can accompany this, but due to laws in this country prohibiting this, i of course wouldn't dream of listening *smile*.  Bit off subject, but i thought it may interest you.  (Type, heading, speed, height and call sign all displayed.  And owner, when i update from 'gatwick Aviation' data base).

LucAtC

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 17:08:29 »

Thanks, it is indeed a very interesting thing, and I didn't know there was such a black box receiver for aircraft transponder decoding available. Rather expensive at 750 euros, but I can understand that aircraft spotters cannot miss it. When will such receivers exist for public busses or trains?
Regards,
Luc

Brian Walker

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 18:44:51 »

Hello Luc, As a Radio Ham i could, if i could afford it, connect a gps reciever to my transmitter and send  my vehicle position over ham frequencies for other hams to view on their pc map at home.  The map software is called Ui-View (Free download) and a TNC with suitable reciever is naturally required at the recieving end (144.800 Mhz Narrow FM). The Kenwood TM-D71E is a radio with 'APRS', as the program is called, capability, having a built in 'TNC' (Terminal node controller)

It therefore follows that owners of public transport, or any business come to that, ie taxi's and truck firms who are in radio contact with their fleet can do something similar, and probably already do so.  Drifted a bit off topic there, but at least drifted is a nautical term *chuckle*.   Regards, Brian.

Brian Walker

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 18:52:01 »

Oh by the way, on the original topic.  The server chucked me out of the solent AGAIN Grrrr, so i tried the container ship from the Needles approach all the way to birthing at the container terminal at So'ton with no grounding, in free roam.  Well i say birth.  I made it to about five feet from the dock, which isn't bad with no tugs around, right?.  Some of those AI ships came a bit close up channel though.  Regards, brian. 

LucAtC

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 19:09:33 »

Indeed, I read somewhere that truck firms can follow their fleet, but I thought it was linked through sat phone data, or cellular. Your free roam mission is a nice one, and would be more pleasant with other players. Well, one of these days, the question of servers will be solved.
Regards,
Luc
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 19:14:58 by LucAtC »

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 01:25:38 »

I once ran aground Red Eagle on a sandbank called the Swashway near Portsmouth because of low tide. :o   I never knew tides were set to 'low' in SS2008 until I read this thread.

I was following the route which Red Funnel Line's competitor Wightlink use during high tide. The sandbank passage is safe to proceed during high tide but when there is low tide the Wightlink ferries has to take an alternative (and longer) route to the deeper channel towards Portsmouth.

http://www.wightlink.co.uk/kidszone/across_the_solent/navigating_the_solent.htm

If VSTEP is going to fix the tides, might I suggest they set the tide somewhere in the middle between low and high tide? I'm not sure if having a tide which goes up and down as you play would be practical as I would imagine it'd take a lot of graphic card & CPU juice just to do that.

Kev
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 10:55:37 »

That's what I'm praying for... ;)

But it would much better, if we got real tides, as announced for a later version!

Regards
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!

steveboston

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 15:58:29 »

Blimey Guv'nor! (thats another British expression meaning 'Struth') This 'low tide' business explains a lot! Why didn't VSTEP go for high or at least half tide to start with? That's like a flightsim giving us 200foot viz and 900ft cloudbase  as a starter until/unless they can be bothered to make variable weather.

This also explains the impossibility of getting into Portsmouth in anything bigger than a rowing boat. (The last time I looked (October) there were some almighty great warships and cross channel ferries in there floating about easily. Also - now I haven't checked this on v1.3 yet - but I did once post a whinge that the starting point for the Titanic in So'ton was wrong (bet they can't correct it for lack of water).

By the way Brian I like all that equipment you have - cool! Sounds a bit like my mate Dave who keeps a small caravan at our airfield. It bristles with more aerials than a Russian Spy Trawler!.
Somewhere over the rainbow,
weigh a pie.

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 16:10:27 »

Why didn't VSTEP go for high or at least half tide to start with?

Hi Steve :)

I think the simple explaination to that question is that they just plotted the depths they found in the charts... they're programmers - not sailors.  ;)

I think it will be too huge a task to correct it now, but believe it will be fixed in the next SS.

Regards
groennegaard

ozziesailor

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 12:00:27 »

i think u should be able to see underwater like silent hunter series that way u can check ur depth or why u are claiming damage for no reason. plus it would look so cool to see the boat under the water level

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 12:05:15 »

The much better and more realistic way would be an echo-data-log to see the surface of the ground, or a kind of a sonar. There are not many vessels equipped with underwater bull eyes, guess?  ;)

Cheers
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!

steveboston

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 13:16:12 »

I take your point Groennengard but:
As for fixing the problem - could this  be done without a huge rewrite at VSTEP by running a piece of code or somesuch in all the environment databases to add (say) 2 meters depth to every point on their mathematical seabed polygon (or, if easier, raise the surface and land points)? If that tested OK then they could patch us.

I hasten to add that I ain't no expert, just an innocent bystander with limited knowledge of a similar thing in the flightsim world, with ground terrain heights.

weigh a pie.

steveboston

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 13:20:14 »

P.S. Sorry Groennegaard sir - I am useless at getting people's names right!
weigh a pie.

LucAtC

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 13:22:07 »

To monitor and record depths, a forward looking sonar would be nice, so as not becoming stuck because of low tide.
Also wondering if anyone still knows the indestructible german BEHM echosounders/paper recorders, supplied with a 24VDC to 220VAC 50Hz vibrator, working like a Tirill regulator. Each magnetostrictive plate had an 8" diameter... I don't remember if the tubes and valves were heated by candles, gas or electricity.
Regards,
Luc

mvsmith

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 14:53:21 »

Luc,
I’ve never seen the BEHM, but have spent many hours staring at Precision Depth Recorders by Gift (favored by SIO) and Alden (favored by WHOI). The ‘ducers were 8-inch or even larger. R/V Melville had them mounted in the bulbous bow, which also had viewing ports and was accessed by a trunk with watertight hatch. One could replace the transducers from inside the bow by closing the hatch and pressurizing the compartment.
Regards,
Marty

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 15:08:26 »

As for fixing the problem - could this  be done without a huge rewrite at VSTEP by running a piece of code or somesuch in all the environment databases to add (say) 2 meters depth to every point on their mathematical seabed polygon (or, if easier, raise the surface and land points)? If that tested OK then they could patch us.

Hi Steve :)

My name is difficult to spell - don't worry about it!  ;D

I don't know exactly how these depths are set in the scenarios and how they are linked to the collision model. All I know is that Bottman, Sturmfahrt and Rooster24 have tried to get the developers to fix this low tide several times (and long ago). If it's an easy fix, they use to do it right away, but this issue hasn't been fixed yet. Probably it isn't as easy as it looks.

Regards
grønnegaard
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines