Hello Guest September 20, 2024, 00:33:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Patches?

version 1.2
- 3 (23.1%)
version straight from v1.1-v1.3
- 10 (76.9%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie needs advice?  (Read 1810 times)

mikenescot

• Forum member
Newbie needs advice?
« on: January 01, 2008, 23:34:23 »

Hello folks just new to this and have only been playing ss08 for a a short time...(one day to be honest)! I have alredy experienced various bugs such as flying ferries doing loops on me and the game crashing after ive spent 2 hours going through a mission for no reason? >:(
Ive found my way over to the patches download area and am currently downloading v1.1 what else do i need? Ie mission editor v1.2 1.3 etc etc? I ve been reading posts on here and finding people are getting more bugs with every patch? I dunno what to do! Im looking for someone to guide me through the patch instals and what problems im expected to get with them?
Thanks in advance ;)

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
Re: Newbie needs advice?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 23:44:25 »

Hello mikenescot, and welcome to the forum

If you want to create your own missions then you can download the mission editor. If you do not wish to do so you don't really need to. This mission editor runs seperately from SS08 though, so it doesn't need to be installed somewhere in the patching order. (AFAIK)

Do you own SS2006 and the SS2006 Addon pack too? If so, you can get a downloadable version of the soon to be released SS2008 Addon (the 06 conversion). To do so you have to have both the 2006 Addon AND SS2008 license keys registered in your forum profile.

more about that in this thread: http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,3052.0.html

If you do not own the SS2006 addon then disregard the above. In that case you can just install V1.1 first, and then v1.3.

It's true that there are still some bugs that need to be ironed out, but the next update(s) will fix a lot, if not all of them. So we just have to be a bit patient and in the mean while there is more than enough to enjoy.
Also, the problems you have encountered may allready be solved to an extend when you have patched the game.

Good luck with that and happy sailing!

Kind regards,

Fred

mikenescot

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 00:03:15 »

Thanks for the Quick reply Mad_Fred! Im hopeing to get siling soon! Whats with the multi player is it any good?

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 00:08:19 »

Whats with the multi player is it any good?

Hi mikenescot :)

Welcome aboard!

The multiplayer only recently arrived and VSTEP is still struggling to get the servers stabilized.

Have a look in the multiplayer section:
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/board,52.0.html

Regards
groennegaard

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 00:17:45 »

Thanks for the Quick reply Mad_Fred! Im hopeing to get siling soon! Whats with the multi player is it any good?

My pleasure.

And my bad, I made a mistake. Having installed V1.3 over V1.2 myself (1.2 is the addon), I did not realise there is a V1.0 to V1.3 patch. that one will obvisouly do just as well and is easier and less work then doing it twice with both patches seperatly  :P  (I guess I should pay more attention sometimes)

As groennegaard said, multiplayer needs a bit of work, but it is still good. As in, fun! Having real people to interact with is very nice.

mikenescot

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 01:38:45 »

Well managed to get online for a bit the last day before the servers all dissapeared and it was quite good fun had a towing competition between myself and another oil rig supply ship while a small river taxi attempted to squeeze in between us and get crushed LOL! So hopefully will get on in 3 weeks as im heading out to the real north sea to a real rig tommorow:( Much prefer the game to reality on my last day at home!) lol!

Hopefully by the time i return the servers will be working better! ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines