Hello Guest September 20, 2024, 02:39:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

What if no one would have any requests or any other things that would need fixing for a month? Do you think it would give VSTEP a good chance do finish some urgent projects?

Yes
- 18 (45%)
No
- 10 (25%)
Maybe
- 7 (17.5%)
Defently
- 1 (2.5%)
Yes/no
- 4 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: January 25, 2008, 07:30:33

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VSTEP  (Read 2578 times)

Third Mate

• Forum member
VSTEP
« on: December 06, 2007, 07:30:33 »

This may get a bit boring and frustrating not posting your problems for awhile but still it is just another idea... :-X

Voting ends in 50 days...also there's no reason for it to happen if too many users are unhappy....so feel free to vote what ever your idea is.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 07:33:28 by Third Mate »

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
Re: VSTEP
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 09:01:49 »

No.

I don't think there is much - other than really important bug reports - that makes a software developer change their own to-do list anyway.

They usually have a full plate and a 'battle plan' and go about their business, no matter how much requesting and whining there is on a forum. And there always is. People will always want more, sometimes demand more (I say get lost to those people) and come up with tons of ideas and requests. You see it everywhere for every game or sim.

So apart from reports of game stopping bugs that just automatically get priority because they are more important than new content, they wont really mess up their schedules for anything. They have to draw a line somewhere and get things done, because there is money to be made too and publishers breath down their necks and so on (generally speaking). At least that's my experience. So a month of silence from the forum wont make them work any harder or give anything other than a very, very good and plausible idea some priority, is my opinion.

mvsmith

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 09:16:48 »

I agree with Mad_Fred, and would add that there might be a newly discovered bug that would be simple to fix while they are at it. Or the bug might cause them to change the way they are fixing known bugs. They can, and will, decide what to do with the information. So, useful information on real problems should continue to be submitted.
Wish lists and suggestions that they should dump Quest3D in favor of another system are best left unsaid. However, as Fred said, VSTEP will ignore them anyway.
Marty

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 11:10:06 »

It looks like VSTEP is a strong organization and yeah true there are problems and more demand on everyday to make the game perfect. All the bugs that are crawling and little issues that need to be fixed up.Yeah i guess we need someone to carry on whit that ship maintenance until a new chapter begins.I just thought that the VSTEP team could have a month break since it has given in everything it's got into this magnificent simulation game.But if you say so Mad_Fred and mvsmith ill have to agree with you 2.Anyway let's have a look what other members think... :)   

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 11:54:59 »

You have to look like it like this, it is their job.

I know some small developer groups might be more flexible, but on a whole these people just do this for a living. (of course they made their hobby their job, so it's more fun than an average-joe job)

I have a busy job and people get on my nerves with demands and requests all the time. But my boss would never just give me a month off because I have given it a lot. It's a job, they do this everyday and mind their own schedule without too much notice of what goes on on the forum on a daily basis as far as I suspect. The really good ideas or pressing matters will reach them through the forum moderators and/or administrators anyway.

A month break means loss of money. Just doesn't work like that, it's not a thrid party addon making group that own their own time, these people work for a boss too, that wants certain things done by a certain date, and there is always more to do than there is time, in this business. (Well I don't know for a fact how VSTEP works, but generally speaking this is how it goes)

Giving them a month off is not something a forum population would decide for a sim developer, if you know what I mean.  :D

jskipper

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 12:07:37 »

Agree with Mad_Fred...
The programming team should be capable to set their priorities.
Don't stop sending bug reports. The sooner bugs are reported, the better the team can define the most efficient ordering of their action list.

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 21:51:52 »

Yeah.. you are all right, what VSTEP is doing now it is keeping not only the business alive but also fixing all the issues that the game might encounter and also producing new vessels for the game that come up :). Now should i close the pool since now i have realized how important this is? ???

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 01:13:29 »

Sorry for the off topic post. I just wanted to see if DJM notices that I'm posting something about Marmite here. Marmite forever.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 07:32:09 »

Com on... let the "No" grow larger than 4 votes... ;D :D
Who cares anyway... :P

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 12:11:04 »

Why let the 'no' grow faster?

I think to many people are proposing to much different things.

It is Vstep's job to make a quality game without any bugs.
I think it is better to add features when the game is finally bug-free and realistic.

There allready are to much topics with 'what I would like in the future'.
People are suggesting one particular ship and stuf like that.

What would be better is when people say 'I would like more inland ships' or 'I like big tankers'.

So I voted yes.
And offcourse, bug reports should keep coming.

JoMach

• Dutch Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 13:01:16 »

Why let the 'no' grow faster?

I think to many people are proposing to much different things.

It is Vstep's job to make a quality game without any bugs.
I think it is better to add features when the game is finally bug-free and realistic.

There allready are to much topics with 'what I would like in the future'.
People are suggesting one particular ship and stuf like that.

What would be better is when people say 'I would like more inland ships' or 'I like big tankers'.

So I voted yes.
And offcourse, bug reports should keep coming.
I'm 100% agree with this, First fix al the bugs etc, that all people can play the addon without errors, and fix the questviewer.exe error. than they can looking for the future. Now for now I'm stopped to play  ss 2008 until there is a patch that fixt all the errors. :-\

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 03:47:13 »

This is getting very interesting.....my guess is let's keep on voting and talking there are some interesting ideas here... :-X

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

donc13

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 21:02:04 »

Any reasonable software developer keeps 2 lists of things to be done.   They have a bug list and an enhancement list.    Bugs can usually be fixed adding or modifying a few lines of code.   Enhancements take much longer.

Typically a company has a cut off point.   At some point in time, a release is "set"...no more enhancements will be added to it.     At some other point in time, the list of bugs to be fixed also gets set.    From those points forward, builds of the software get done and tested.    New bug reports are COLLECTED as are new ehancement requests....but they are NOT added to the release.    There must be a cut off point, where you do your final builds and fully test them.    Trying to keep adding bug fixes to a release means the release is never done, or never fully tested.

Just like cutting grass, as soon as you cut it....it starts growing again.   So you can either decide to cut it once a week...no matter how long it is...or you can continually cut it and never be done.

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 21:05:08 »

That is a nice explanation.

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 22:35:33 »

Greetings,
Vstep,will fix things intime.On some point they dont work further on new idea's(models),however this multiplayer was on allmost everybody's wishlist,to make the game more real and very much fun to play.
Now,what i understand,for new models they will come too,but you have to buy them.Neither in some kind of a package or seporatly.
Afther the multiplayer,most importent is to fix all the bugs,so that everyone's game is running like it should be running.
Than from that point,create new models or area's.
I agree to all of your idea's about this.So things has to be done first.
REgards
Marc
N
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines