Hello Guest September 19, 2024, 16:57:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Berthing for "Latitude"  (Read 1812 times)

Traddles

• Global Moderator
Berthing for "Latitude"
« on: November 06, 2007, 21:30:30 »

Somewhere on the forum I have seen that there was nowhere that "Latitude" could berth in deep enough water. Sorry I cannot find the relevant post, BUT I have found a berth ;D. By going into Google Earth I found Constable Hook oil terminal on the New Jersey side of New York Harbour. It is at Bayonne through the Anchorage Channel, (look for "Kill van Kull") I went into "free roaming" with the water taxi to take some soundings and found over 40 metres off the jetties. On Google Earth there is a large tanker moored at the centre jetty. ( It is shaped like an L back to front. I then put in "Latitude" in place of the water taxi at starting point south of Bay Ridge channel, swung her round to port (By going full ahead and full astern) clearing the green buoy and sailing across the harbour. Again by very slow manoeuvering and a bit of good luck laid her alongside the end of the L shaped jetty. She had 30.9m under her bow and 9.1m at the stern. Here is a picture to prove it!!! Sorry I haven't mastered the mission editor so I had to do it all without tugs. It did take a while about 1 hour 15 minutes. :-[
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 21:46:47 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
Re: Berthing for "Latitude"
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 23:02:04 »

Hello Traddles,  ;)
Docking the Latitude is the thread about the deep water possibilities.
Having looked at Constable Hook moorings on Google earth, one can indeed see 2 Aframax supertankers of about 100000ton, with 13m draught, consistent with the depths in the channel, as well as the channels leading to it. Interesting to note that the depths in NY are not the real ones in SS2008, I think  ??? they changed feet in meter? Thanks to this, it has indeed become possible to go in NY with Latitude at 18m draught.
As well, it is the same depth leading to Fawley in the Solent, so that the comments about tide etc... are the same. Not a great surprise, while (y)our  :o ancestors often choose estuaries to build their harbors, with the inconvenients linked to it.
Regards,
Luc

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 23:39:51 »

Thank you LucAtC,
I knew I'd seen it somewhere, but could not find it tonight.  ::)
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Alex201

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 23:49:17 »

I know 2 places in Rotterdam where does vlccs goes. One is for the petroleum dock and one for ore which is deep enough as well. I've cut an image from a digital chart I have

Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines