Hello Guest September 16, 2024, 20:34:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New member  (Read 2458 times)

Merv0728

« on: February 19, 2010, 15:03:55 »

Hello all,
        I have yet to buy SS & would like to have some opinions about it.
How does it compare to MS Flight Sim, can users mod scenery etc ?

Thanks
Alan

Captain Best

• Forum member
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 15:43:30 »

Hi.

Welcome to the forum.

No... You can't mod this game as you can in FSX...
But the shipyard contains many nice free ships.
And you can purchase the New Horizons. AKA the Add-on

--tractorman--

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 16:24:28 »

Welcome!

If you get the collectors edition you get the game AND the new horizons addon, all in one with a few tiny extras

There is a new vessel or an updated one released every week. Shouldn't be long till the release of the next version Ship Simulator Extremes, you may have seen a few things about it while surfing your way around the forum which well, supposedly is being released in June (June the 6th to be exact), so not long now.

As you can see its not easy to mod due to it being so complex and stuff, which I find acceptable as I'd prefer to have fewer high quality vessels and environments rather than loads of, not so good vessels and environments..

jim.smith

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 18:34:24 »

Hi  Merv,welcome.I have FSX but in my opinion SS is far better as you will find out if you buy it. :thumbs:

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 18:37:43 »

How does it compare to MS Flight Sim

Well it uses boats rather than planes, if that's any help.

Welcome, Merv...

Shipsim has one good feature (several actually) and that is the support forum.

Hope you buy it, join in. Don't be fooled by some of the posters, they are actually nice people really. ;D
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 18:42:57 »

I have FSX, but I rarely play it since I got ShipSim..
You can't mod the scenery, but you can create missions and put them in the game for others to play..
Besides free roam and multiplay, there are tons of missions to play..Never a dull moment.. ;D

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 10:36:37 »

Don't be fooled by some of the posters, they are actually nice people really.  ;D

Yes,and we know them all :D :D :D

Welcome to our forum Merv
Regards
Marc
N

Merv0728

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 12:03:19 »

Hello again,
        Thanks for all the nice welcoming posts.

I am slightly disappointed regarding mods to scenery,I would have liked to have perhaps improved some harbours or even created some new ones.
Ship creation/modification seems a lot more complex than for aircraft in FSX so I don't suppose there are many people able to do that.

Is the release date for 'Extremes' a firm one or is it just the latest ? 6th of June is the day before my B/day so may be lucky & get it for a pressy.

Thanks to all & I will continue going through the forum to gleen as much info as I can.

Alan

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 12:17:46 »

It looks a pretty firm date at the moment.

Yes, mods (or lack of) IS a disappointment, but I think there is going to be opportunities for additional content over the lifetime of SSE, which didn't really happen with 08
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Merv0728

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 12:23:01 »

Hi me again,
         Why do I get an error message sometimes when I try a link in a post ?I have just tried one that was posted 2 days ago regarding Help in SS & got " The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you".

Alan

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 12:28:15 »

Hi Alan,
You must register your licence number in your profile to get access to the boards you are not getting to.
Go to the yellow bar at the top of the page and click on "Profile" and then scroll down to the bottom of the page where you will find a space to enter your key. Be careful to enter it exactly as it is, and having done that you will be able to access the boards and topics you want. You will also then see the five symbols below your name on the left which indicates you have got it right and as you play missions you will see your ranking grow by the addition of stars or chevrons to the symbols..

Traddles. (Angus)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 12:33:40 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 12:29:10 »

Because you are not registered.

You are an un-registered member- the lowest form of life on the forum (no, just joking)... It is designed to stop pirates from gaining from software they don't own...

But once SSE is released, if you buy it and add in the licence code on your profile, you will have access to all the bits relevant to it (not 06, unless you buy that as well etc).

Sorry. Angus just beat me to it...

Merv0728

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 12:57:14 »

Thanks again,
          all understood.Still trying to make my mind up about buying it,08 that is, or wait for "Extremes".

Alan

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 13:03:51 »

Well, go and be a tosser... Get a coin, toss it in the air. If it lands heads up, buy 08 AND SSE when it comes out. If it lands tails up, buy 08 AND SSE when it comes out. If it balances in its edge at between 7 degrees and 8.3 degrees then buy vs instead.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 13:15:11 »

Sorry Alan, I should have read your initial post more carefully. I thought you actually had a copy of the game. :doh: Be a devil and get it, it is honestly well worth every penny and if you get a fraction of the enjoyment which many of us have you are on to a winner. ;D

Angus.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 20:18:10 »

Angus missed one good point... (Sorry Angus, if I may...)

SS08 is now so cheap that it is pointless not to. I mean really cheap. Cheaper than a really cheap thing.

It is a good way to see if you like it before going and buying SSE, which is probably not so cheap.

There are lots of different things to do, and I suspect, as Angus says, you will find something that appeals to you. Personally, I like JUST the PoR, but others prefer different things and some even play everything...

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 21:06:22 »

but others prefer different things

Hovercraft...

Welcome to the forum, Merv!
Almost never here, try here.

Merv0728

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 14:45:35 »

Hi  all,

Well I got SSO8CE but not having any luck.

Start it then get a blue screen & thats where it sits doing nothing.So I had better get over to Tech.Support & see what that comes up with

Alan

TJK

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 14:49:16 »

HI Allan

please go to technical support and ask their, then we can help you with you problems
kind regards
TJK
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines