Hello Guest September 19, 2024, 02:46:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio traffic  (Read 3141 times)

Tugboats007

• Forum member
Radio traffic
« on: October 17, 2007, 01:10:05 »

Hi all, I so far have enjoyed the new addon for SS08 but I have one question. How in SS08 do you turn the radio traffic off. It gets a bit old after about 1 min. I know in SS06 you have a simcon you can click on and turn it off or on, but so far I have not found one in SS08. Any one got any ideas?

Thank you, Tugboats007

kev749

• Forum member
Re: Radio traffic
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 01:12:26 »

just go in your sound setting and there is sliderin there

Tugboats007

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 01:19:56 »

Thanks I will do that.

Tugboats007

cargohauler

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 03:19:41 »

Did that come up in the newest update? Because I do not get any radio traffic...but I dont have the current patch  8)

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 05:22:48 »

It came with the SS2008 Addon. Afaik it is the same recording that was in the SS2006 one. But I may be wrong. I turn it off right away as I enjoy a bit of music in the background instead.

Fred

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 10:38:29 »

Greetings,
Yes,it is a pre-recorded transmission,as on the older version of the game.Afther a while just get bored.
However it give a idea how it is in real life on board,Sometimes it gets bored to.
It would be better to have some kind of radio traffic,that we could talk to eatchother,while playing the game.
This have been on the old forum to,and i think it gonna be a long while before this will happen.
First they have to find a way,how it would work.
Regards
Marc
N

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 10:51:48 »

Well as soon as multiplayer comes along you can always use teamspeak or ventrilo for example, to talk to each other, that's not really something that the developers have to make for us to enjoy it. Although it would be nice if they'd implement it in the sim itself, I ahve seen sims that have this and eat up more resources because of it. So then, something like ventrilo, which isnt that demanding, could be even better.

It just means you will have to have some kind of meeting place or lobby from where you can launch and make appointments or exchange IP adresses for voice communications servers etc.

But as almost all sims have these possibilities i'm sure SS will go that direction too. (fingers crossed)

Fred

Alex201

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 17:34:59 »

Something like VOIP?  :)

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 18:33:55 »

Not familiar with it, really..VOIP is more like a telephone over the net right?

I don't know much about ship communications but reckon most smaller traffic would just use VHF radios right? So you'd have to wait your turn before you can speak, whereas with telephones you can speak at the same time.

VC programs like Ventrilo or Teamspeak would be a bit closer to that, although I reckon the modern ships have way better means of communication nowadays.

Does VOIP allow a bunch of people to be on the same 'channel'?  or is it, like a normal phone, one on one?

Fred

Alex201

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 18:41:14 »

I know the multiplayer game Battefield is using it to communicate between the team "soldiers". I have actually no experience, because don't like gaming with my headset on, but sometimes I hear people talking.
I think you could make some channels, because I cannot hear the other team speaking.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 18:48:30 »

Ah yes Battlefield.. I have used the comms in BF2 before, didn't know it was VOIP though.

IIRC there are two channels, commander and team (a fire team on your side, not the enemy 'team') The commander can transmit to everyone, the teamleaders can transmit to either their team or the commander and the team members can only transmit to their teamleader but not to the commander, but it's been awhile and I'm not sure.

Not all have this option active though and I never really heard much communications or used it much. It was supposed to be much more tactical but that game turned into just another huge fragfest and I lost interest really fast.

Gaming with a headset on isn't that bad if you got one that is comfortable. And then there's a lot of products that feature a table mounted or monitor mounted microphone too. I have one of those aswell but I prefer the headset as the mounted mic picks up way to much of the sounds around me.

Fred
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 18:51:48 by Mad_Fred »

Alex201

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 18:53:21 »

Ah yes Battlefield.. I have used the comms in BF2 before, didn't know it was VOIP though.

IIRC there are two channels, commander and team.
the commander can transmit to everyone, the teamleaders can transmit to either their team or the commander and the team members can only transmit to their teamleader but not to the commander, but it's been awhile and I'm not sure.

Not all have this option active though and I never really heard much communications or used it much. It was supposed to be much more tactical but that game turned into just another huge fragfest and I lost interest really fast.

Gaming with a headset on isn't that bad if you got one that is comfortable. And then there's a lot of products that feature a table mounted or monitor mounted microphone too. I have one of those aswell but I prefer the headset as the mounted mic picks up way to much of the sounds around me.

Fred

Haha, yeah. You're right. But sometimes I try not to get too nerdy  :). For ship simulator with low background noise I can easily use the mic on my desk.
I'm quiet sure it is Voip, because the server administrators are talking about voip.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 18:56:55 »

I'm quiet sure it is Voip, because the server administrators are talking about voip.

Yeah I allready believed you..  I just didn't know that.  ;D

Live and learn.

Fred

Alex201

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 19:00:27 »

You shouldn't instantly believe everyone what they're saying...

;)

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 19:13:28 »

Heh..  point taken.  ;D

I don't believe you! where's your proof???   :P

Fred

Alex201

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 19:23:07 »

Voice Over IP: If you want to use Voice Over IP (VOIP), tick the Enable box. VOIP allows you to use a microphone hooked to your computer and your headphones to speak to and hear conversations with other Battlefield 2 players on the same server who are logged into the VOIP network. Note that enabling VOIP can introduce more lag into your game due to the CPU overhead, and the additional bandwidth used - so untick the Enable box if you don't use VOIP. Using VOIP in BF2 during a game involves pressing your talk button first (default is B for squad, V for Commander) then talking into your microphone.

At  http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2_6.html

Greetz  :D

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 19:37:26 »

;D

NOW.. I believe you!

Hehehe   

Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines