Hello Guest June 15, 2024, 22:36:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portsmouth Harbour with the Pride  (Read 6428 times)

steveboston

• Forum member
Re: Portsmouth Harbour with the Pride
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2007, 17:49:57 »

Can I suggest a modification to the car ferry 'Red Thingy' with VS propulsion units. I find that only the walk around view and a step or two to the side lets me see all the direction and thrust meters as well as the controls. All these are necessary to view in order to sail properly;  so I would like to see special 'pop up' controls for this ship that include direction indicators (and a reminder which VS unit is forward and which one aft.
Somewhere over the rainbow,
weigh a pie.

Orinoco

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2007, 17:54:34 »

Can I suggest a modification to the car ferry 'Red Thingy' with VS propulsion units. I find that only the walk around view and a step or two to the side lets me see all the direction and thrust meters as well as the controls. All these are necessary to view in order to sail properly;  so I would like to see special 'pop up' controls for this ship that include direction indicators (and a reminder which VS unit is forward and which one aft.

Do you have to post this in every thread? Put it in 'feature requests and suggestions' and be done with it.  :)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2007, 20:51:50 »

There's a thread related to red eagle here

http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,1023.0/topicseen.html

Talks of some of the issues about it.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

steveboston

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2007, 19:40:25 »

Okay - so as far as I understand, Portsmouth Harbour in the sim has an 'electronic bar' or shallow at the entrance but it could be opened up in the future, and in any case if we can get large ships past this barrier they will float properly further in.
I did notice though that the electronic chart shows 3 meters or less once beyond 'The Point' (harbour entrance). If it helps VSTEP I found this chart online. it not only shows the channels (often 10 meters plus) and mudflats, but also the shape of the marinas etc.
I was there last week and took the Wightlink yellow catamaran which goes from the Rail station just north of the spinnaker tower to Ryde pier. Coming home later we went to Fishbourne to get the double ended VS car/ foot ferry and this docked just south of gunwharf. By the way that little horseshoe shaped dock must be deeper than this chart shows as the ferries are much the same as the Red Eagle - and also there are fishing boats plus fin-keel yachts in there.
It strikes me that it would not be too hard to offer a repaint of the Red Eagle as Wightlink, put a version of the three-master in as the Warrior (and maybe Victory too) and some marinas. that way we would get (for minimum effort) a splendid extra bit. Incidentally I would also like to see an extension to the area such that both east and west 'ends' of the Isle of Wight are sailable. It is a brilliant sim though and all credit to them.
weigh a pie.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2007, 21:30:59 »

I'm with you on that, Steve. 100%. For me, the addition of Portsmouth would be a major boost (my favourite commercial port!). Except the repaint of the Red Eagle into Whitlelink colours- I think that might upset Red Funnel a wee bit.

Steve, can I ask the URL of the navi chart you found online, please?

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

steveboston

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2007, 22:50:03 »

Sorry to say I don't still have the url but I googled for Portsmouth Charts and this was I think Pilotage for Portsmouth Harbour or The small ship channel info. It was given free to illustrate the correct path for harbour traffic.
As for the repaint what I meant was Wightlink colours as well as Red Funnel. I.E. An extra ship. by the way I got the impression that the Wightlink ones were older and more worn. Two of them had the bridge nearer one end and were therefore sailed as if there was a definite bow and stern (although they would of course sail just as well either way). The third was more like the Red Funnel ones. In addition their 'Fastcat' boats are yellow and smaller than the Red Wotsit.
This is a great sim anyhow. My favourite part is to dock the 'Pride' as neatly as the real thing with careful differential thrust, rudder and bow thruster. Can't get enough of that! It is on a par with landing a big aeroplane on a short runway in the Flightsims.
weigh a pie.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2007, 22:56:14 »

I've already tried that in google. The best I've come up with is www.qhmportsmouth.com but the chart isn't so clear.

Must have a look at a chart next time I'm in Pompey- I'm as far from the coast as you can get here! In fact the above site is really quite interesting and worth a look.

Vstep won't add a ship unless the owners agree in writing (both courtesy and legal) and I suspect Red Funnel own the design rights to the Eagle- so they may not be happy about their ship appearing in Wightlink colours. Likewise, Wightlink would probably not agree either (unless they offered to pay to get one of their own ships in the sim in their colours- I would if I were their M.D.)

Stu
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 22:59:56 by Stuart2007 »

krishnaiow

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2007, 22:35:30 »

Two of them had the bridge nearer one end and were therefore sailed as if there was a definite bow and stern (although they would of course sail just as well either way). The third was more like the Red Funnel ones. In addition their 'Fastcat' boats are yellow and smaller than the Red Wotsit.

there are 4 ferries with the bridge at one end and the 5th is the largest with thhe bridge in the middle

the fastcats are more or less the same length, but they carry more people

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines