Hello Guest June 28, 2024, 00:51:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red Eagle won't go  (Read 2622 times)

struggler

• Forum member
Red Eagle won't go
« on: August 29, 2012, 21:50:59 »

Hello

In the Ferry Master mission on my machine Red Eagle will not respond to the forward key or the astern key.   It remains absolutely motionless although it responds to some extent to port and starboard keys.   I cannot start the mission.   Have I missed something, or is there a fault somewhere?
Advice would be welcome, please.

Paul

Ballast

• Global Moderator
Re: Red Eagle won't go
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 22:19:55 »

Try to use the assigned trottle key for engine #1 or #2. If you use the general key, e.g. arrow up, the engines are working against each other and thus is the result of the force 0  :)

To get the best out of her manoeuvrability, try using your mouse and both engines seperatly to manoeuuvrer her!  :)
It's the crew that makes the difference

hansgutana

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 06:39:32 »

The Red Eagle's engines push each other another way,so don't use arrow keys. ;) Press & hold 9 and 1 of your numpad to go full ahead and 7 and 3 for full astern.  ;)

hansgutana

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 06:41:07 »

Math:

9+1= Ahead 7+3= Astern of your numpad.

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 08:07:28 »

Hi
There is no stop a 180 on Red Eagle. The azimuth wheels are continuous through multiple revolutions. Only the L/R keys have that restriction. Steering with the mouse is the easiest, and most sensible, in most circumstances.
Marty

With precision steering off, the left or right arrow key will rapidly set you to 180. If you hold the Shift key while you do that, and first release the arrow key, you will then be able to steer through 180 with the mouse.

JoMach

• Dutch Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 09:23:46 »

Hello

In the Ferry Master mission on my machine Red Eagle will not respond to the forward key or the astern key.   It remains absolutely motionless although it responds to some extent to port and starboard keys.   I cannot start the mission.   Have I missed something, or is there a fault somewhere?
Advice would be welcome, please.

Paul
Meabe you have here al the answers
http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,778.0.html jomach

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 11:59:27 »

Perhaps a picture would help a little! I have no desire to add confusion, but rather to remove it.
In the picture below you are looking from the stern towards the bow (Funnel on starboard side) If you have the Funnel on the port side the right hand wheels are for the engine which is now the forward one, otherwise the instructions are the same.
The two controls on the left are for the forward engine and the two on the right for the after engine. you can drive the ship with one engine or two. Two engines give maximum speed of course. If you turn the small wheel clockwise the ship will move ahead, anticlockwise she will move astern. If you turn the big wheel clockwise the ship will turn to starboard, anticlockwise she will turn to port. When you add power from the after engine the controls for that engine will do exactly the same. (Just imagine the yellow arrows are the same over the right hand wheels.)  As sadsid says, quoting Marty (mvsmith), it is probably better to drive the ship with the mouse as you have very much more simple control. Ballast also thinks this is better too. These instructions are for players, like myself, who do not have any fancy controllers, but merely a mouse and keyboard to play the game.

Traddles.
N.B. Sadly the Youtube video mentioned in JoMach's post has been removed.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 12:16:26 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 12:27:42 »

Also confusing is that the controls are different in SSE to those in SS08 (though they look the same)..
Just when you get the hang of it in 08, it's changed in SSE.. :doh:

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 13:00:24 »

To add my two cents, some time ago, I tried to explain how the Red Eagle controls were conceived, to simulate the real controls more closely than ShipSim2008.
Regards,
Luc

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 14:14:13 »

Yes Luc, I remember that was very helpful and educational.. :)
I just happened to find this picture I still had on my computer, hope it helps..

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 17:33:26 »

Thanks Luc, your explanationis, as always, are far more clearly noted.
Regards,
Angus.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 01:45:34 »

Thanks Angus, Salty, but  :blush: it is a shame, I forgot to correct the picture when I changed the layout of the controls, after some rightful remarks of Marty to support Robert67 (If my memory is correct). 
Moreover, in the attached picture, the choice for the control labels is probably not quite correct, as the thrust should be called "drive pitch" instead of "thrust", but I think  ::) that thrust is clearer. To better explain their function, "Steering" could be renamed "Lateral thrust" too .... 
Hopefully, the picture shows the actual layout.
Regards,
Luc

struggler

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 14:41:47 »

My thanks to you all for this information.   I can now train for my licence!!!!

Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines