Hello Guest June 18, 2024, 13:18:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ship Lighting  (Read 1621 times)

K2rockall

• Forum member
Ship Lighting
« on: September 27, 2011, 18:35:26 »

I am sure this topic has already been discussed before, but I wanted to quickly ask why the ships in SSE do not have lights at night? I recently bought the game and was disappointed to find that ships such as the POR which had lights after the free downloadable update in SS2008 now don't. Living near Dover and seeing the ferries out in the English Channel at night with the lights on is really atmospheric and I was looking forward to some night voyages on SSE, but with the ferry in pitch darkness it's hardly real.

Have VSTEP been told about this and did they give an answer on why the good steps taken in ship lighting have gone backwards from SS2008?

ac_freeman

• Forum member
Re: Ship Lighting
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 23:15:37 »

H K2rockalli,

Ships in SSE do indeed have lights - on the player ship you need to turn them on, working from memory at the bottom r/h side of the screen you can select different light settings such as underway or docked. If you are creating missions then you select add the light settings via the editor.

regards,

Andy

ac_freeman

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 23:16:16 »

oops, apologies for the typo in your name :-)

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 23:19:15 »

I am pretty sure he means the other, non navigational, lights on a ferry. In the middle of the night, they are like a floating sun at sea..  :doh:

I've been playing with adding lights, but unfortunately it gives a huge drop in performance, as each light needs to be calculated seperately.
It's the crew that makes the difference

ac_freeman

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 23:44:55 »

ahhhhh.........lights from cabins, lounges, decks etc? I suppose that is difficult to replicate

Rbsanford

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 02:15:56 »

probably the ship with the most lighting would be Rosenburg. gotta love those streetlamps! ;D

but i think tugs should have lights illuminating the deck, ferries/cruise ships having lights on decks, and, of course, lights indoors (inside bridges, hallways/crew room of sigita, corridors of rozenburg, and the interiors of cartagena delight. ;D).
Today's weather:

http://www.lsmma.com/webcam/webcam_st.html

Not to sound cliched, but what a long, strange, trip it's been.

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 09:35:31 »

Unfortunately the lights in SSE are just lightballs, they don't illuminate an area  :(
It's the crew that makes the difference

K2rockall

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 15:06:05 »

Yes I meant lights from windows, portholes etc. Especially noticeable with ferries. So can window lights be added to the player vessels in the mission editor?

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 15:08:13 »

Afraid not :/

Although there was a patch for SS08 which implemented more lights, so it can;t be too difficult

I also take back my shadows comment - RW3 runs a lot smoother without them :/

Looks better with, runs better without  :doh:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines