Hello Guest June 21, 2024, 06:41:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: People walking arund the ships and officers/the captain  (Read 3790 times)

Third Mate

• Forum member
People walking arund the ships and officers/the captain
« on: September 29, 2007, 11:16:36 »

You know, i have played ship sim08 for quite awhile now nad when i look at every ship they seem a bit empty.This may look or sound weird but what if there were passagers walking around the ships and crew working around and a capitain stering the ship. ::) My guess is that it will bring some ships back to life :o :o ;D ;D :D :D.

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Shipaddict

• Forum member
Re: People walking arund the ships and officers/the captain
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 11:19:18 »

Yes, this has been raised before. The only prob was keeping the graphics from going to high.

I think they were once planned for the next version...

sniperonthehill

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 11:42:04 »

Yes, this has been raised before. The only prob was keeping the graphics from going to high.

I think they were once planned for the next version...

But they could make it an option in the graphics menu so you can choose depending on what you want

sniperonthehill

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 11:45:22 »

I didnt realise Third mate that your from New Zealand too! good to see another one of us around  ;D

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 13:22:12 »

Yes, it has been discussed before. Frequently. I think that it is likely to put sufficient strain on the system that you would find most people turning them off.

And unless you want everyone to look identical you will need to model a large number of different people, wearing different clothes/ uniforms... I think that would be a lot of development work for a feature that most people would turn off!

But have a closer look- there are some people on decks in missions.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 14:56:56 »

In 2008 most people will run systems to be able to play DX10 games which may require a lot more powerful hardware. The Windows Vista system also require some more powerful hardware even if it’s made to make games run better.
So I entirely agree that this can be an option that the player can turn on/off depending on his hardware. Personally I would like to see this since I feel myself quite alone in Ship Simulator. This game needs more life to make realistic simulation. Ship Simulator must anyway fit those who run low systems, medium systems and high systems and the way to do this is to enable options where you can turn graphical elements on and off, just like you are setting graphics to high, medium or low like you do in current version of the game :)

sniperonthehill

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 22:58:12 »

Yes, it has been discussed before. Frequently. I think that it is likely to put sufficient strain on the system that you would find most people turning them off.

And unless you want everyone to look identical you will need to model a large number of different people, wearing different clothes/ uniforms... I think that would be a lot of development work for a feature that most people would turn off!

But have a closer look- there are some people on decks in missions.

Stu

Yes but times are moving on i dont think the game should be held back by old and simple graphics just for people with low spec machines. Most games today require decent hardware and its just something people have to bite the bullet upgrade ;D Itll benifit everyone! It couldnt be that hard to make up 10 people or so, look at other games around. Flight sim has simple people on the flight decks that looked like they were done in 2 minutes  8)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 23:23:57 »

OK. Perhaps you are right. Although 10 people isn't really sufficient to populate a large ship!

You say that about computers advancing and you are right! but as computer power increases, so does the complexity of programmes.

In summary - I think there might be better things to use up extra processing power on.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

mvsmith

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 17:03:48 »

What is so often lost sight of is that Ship Simulator is primarily about ship handling. People just get in the way.
You can create missions with people when they serve a purpose, such as Taxiing.
There are also passengers aboard the fast ferry, etc.

J3nsen

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 17:10:03 »

Mabye just have crew, a captain ho drive for u when you set autopilot or something! Mabye a sound when ypu walk out side, you hear peopel talking and eat in the ship, just very low! :) The sound dont take the grafic! Just space and memory! :P

mvsmith

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 21:04:28 »

Gotta get the heads working before we get a lot of people on board.
And Chief will complain that they use too much water and he has to clean the vaps.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 00:48:39 »

Gotta get the heads working before we get a lot of people on board.
And Chief will complain that they use too much water and he has to clean the vaps.
Vaps? Is that a slang for the water distillation/ osmosis plant?

Anyway on the subject of people- are the suggestions for  static people (not lifelike) or for animated people wandering around, getting drunk in the bar, assaulting the ships pursor and generally acting like they did on the last ship I was on.

Stu

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 02:47:08 »

Ahh, it's good to see people having soo many ideas, but who knows ss08 could be the perfect ship simulating game :D, good stuff. O yeah this may not be realated to SS08 but want ot say it anyway.

" Go All Blacks! :D"

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

mvsmith

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 06:49:54 »

Vaps? Is that a slang for the water distillation/ osmosis plant?
Stu

Slang? That’s not slang, Stu. That’s a technical term used by Engineering Officers to refer to the water distillation system. It has its root in the word “Evaporators”, but it’s not slang. ::)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 13:49:39 »

OK. Sorry MVSmith... I will replace the word slang with abbreviation if that is better? :(

I recognised the etymology of the abbreviation- hence working out what they were. In Britain, we would abbreviate them as Evaps. Just checking. ;)

Stu

PS. I still think putting people on deck is going to be a waste of time. :o

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2007, 05:55:26 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFpCEJby4IM&NR=1

In this video you will see some people and get the idea that i was trying to say. :)

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2007, 09:23:14 »

You know when in some missions you pick passengers up in the water taxi? I wonder: who are those guys? Are they part of the development-team?  :D

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 09:31:09 »

It cud be interesting to place static people onboard some ships, just like it happen in some missions where people come and go from the water taxi. Anyway when we can add static add-ons into the game then you can design 3D or 2D characters to place inside the scenario. ;)

The emptiest scenario I know is the Phi Phi islands where the islands looks like the island in the Jurassic Park movie and you are just waiting for TRex to come and kill you while you are stranded at the Phi Phi with your water jet. :P

mvsmith

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2007, 16:54:13 »

In Britain, we would abbreviate them as Evaps.
Stu
You guys have just got to sick you great big E in front of everthing. ;D

Marty

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2007, 22:44:28 »

You guys have just got to sick you great big E in front of everthing. ;D

Well, I can't say anything to that can I?

Stu

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 22:46:00 »

Well, I can't say anything to that can I?

Stu
Except maybe to remind you that we invented the language! :D

Stu
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines