Hello Guest September 28, 2024, 16:38:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: considering buying  (Read 3305 times)

reck

• Forum member
considering buying
« on: January 12, 2011, 04:45:38 »

hi all i really like my simulator games and have tried everything from flight sim 98 to FSX and all the other way to euro truck simulator and farming simulator.

ETS and FS i havent really been able to get into as they are short games/repetitive small area whatever you like to think i mean  ;) but ship sim exteams does kind of sound like my kind of game with long missions/campaings i can get into :)

i have a couple of questions though, does the game work ok? i have read a lot about this game in the last couple of days and i would say 95% of things i have read are bad :/

what is the multyplayer like? i havent found much about it and cant even get onto the mp part of the forums yet to find out how active it is weather it actually works  ???

thanks

reck
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 04:48:00 by reck »

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
Re: considering buying
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 06:30:47 »

Hi Reck,

Welcome to the Forum !

The reason you cannot get any information about multiplayer is because it is only meant for registered members. In that I mean, you need to own the product (game) and register the License Key in the Forum to get access to other boards of the Forum but still restricted to only the game you register. For example if you own Ship Simulator 2006 and register the License Key, you will have access to all the boards of SS 2006 but not of SS 2008 and SSExtremes.

Ship Simulator Extremes is good when it come to graphics and the missions. Unfortunately there have been certain issues which has disappointed some of the buyers. It would be advisable to download the demo version (600 MB) and see how it performs on your computer. As for any other game / simulator, the emphasis on confirming to the System Requirements is very high. There have been cases where people have either bought it or have been gifted with it and they realise later that it does not do well because their machines are below specs. It is for this reason we encourage trying out the demo first.

Ship Simulator 2008 has had good success and acceptance generally speaking and many members of the Forum still swear by it. The missions vary from Very Easy to Hard. One great thing about this sim (2008) is the availability of over 200 free missions and many free add on packs. SS 2008 goes hand in hand with another add on pack (to be bought separately) called New Horizons. This pack is required to download some of the free missions I mentioned before. In some time Ship Simulator Extremes will also have access to free downloads for missions. There is something called SS 2008 Collector's Edition and it a combination of both SS 2008 & NH with a few additional features.

Both SS2008 and Extremes have separate Mission Editors and you can make your own missions and upload it for scrutiny and if accepted by the Custom Mission Manager's team it will be released as a free download and the credit will be given to you.

Ship Simulator 2006 is still around and has a fan following too.

Ship Simulator Extremes is also available through Steam but many owners of this version have had quite some complaints. The DVD version is available from www.shipsim.com. I think as of now SS 2008 / New Horizons and SS 2006 are available only as download versions from shipsim.com

As for multiplayer, it works well for SS 2008. You may find it a bit deserted now as there has been a shift to SS Extremes multiplayer. Nevertheless, there will be somebody around on the servers. In this, registered members search the servers where other members have collected. Each server will represent a port or an environment existing in SS2008 or SSE. You can choose whatever type of vessel / ship you want to and maneuver it and interact among each other. For example, you may be in command of a huge container ship and so can another member too. Both of you can plan in a chat window and say enter a port and berth one behind the other. Just an example. Or one can be in command of a ship and another can be on a tug and tow you into a port. If you choose, you can opt to control a boat and zip around the ships of other members (like in a harbour cruise). The possibilities are many if you have had experience sailing on ships (but that is not mandatory).

So, Reck that's some of the dope about Ship Simulator in brief.

Please feel free to pose further questions if any.

Regards
vin_sun
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 06:46:21 by vin_sun »
Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit.

LoneWolfDon

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 06:47:49 »

I'd suggest to look at SSE's Minimum System Requirements and make sure your computer meets or exceeds those, as in many cases problems / complaints you see posted in regards SSE are from users whose computers are below the requirements.

My computer is probably considered a "dinosaur" by today's standards, but it still meets or exceeds SSE's Minimum Requirements. And though I adjusted some of the various settings to lower levels, SSE still runs, looks and performs well enough for me to enjoy it.

From what I can tell, VStep (the Developers) care and are working hard to continue to improve SSE. A rather sizable update for SSE was just released a few days ago that addressed many issues and added several new features.

Mainly I play games for the single player aspect. At the time of this post I've only got SSE just a few weeks ago (I have a Steam-version by the way http://store.steampowered.com/app/48800/ ), I've already got in over 100 hours of play-time with it. To me, I typically don't buy a game or sim based on if it has Multiplayer or not. I like a game or a sim to have a strong single-player aspect about it as well as re-playability and most important is that I enjoy it. But if it has Multiplayer, then for me that can be a bonus.  

The few times I have played some Multiplayer sessions, it seemed to work okay. It's up to the players to decide how they want to interact with each other in Multiplayer sessions, but for the most part the other players I met online seemed friendly and helpful. I sometimes had fun just sailing around exploring with them. Or you could arrange to do other activities if you like such as having one or more player help to tow another ship to some location, have a race, maybe if a ship is equipped with water-cannons then they can simulate a "putting out a fire" situation, chat with each other and perhaps even make some new friends.

With a bit of imagination, you can really immerse yourself with this wonderful Ship-Sim and almost feel like "you're there" sailing some big ship cutting through the waves. I also find playing SSE can be quite relaxing at times as well. There's lots ships to sail, lots of maps to explore, lots to see and do. Some of the missions can be rather challenging though (I especially find some of the towing-related missions can be tricky, but it's fun), but I find it quite a satisfying feeling when successfully accomplishing a mission.  

Is SSE without flaws? No. But what sim or game is? But despite a few glitches that can crop up sometimes or with some things that could be improved on (which over time I feel that VStep will keep working to improve SSE), overall I'm much enjoying SSE and find I more than got my money's worth with it. I'm not even half-ways through the single-player Campaign missions yet, and plus with all of the extra single-player missions (and with more sure to come as the recent update gave SSE a "Mission Editor" in which users can make and share their own missions), I'm sure I'll be enjoying SSE for a long time to come.

As for reading negative opinions about SSE, well I feel "Mad Fred" summed it up pretty good in one of his posts, which I will quote below:

"Some complaints are legit. And in the first instance there were problems with Steam as well, leaving a lot of players waiting to properly start using the game.

Other problems are indeed because people do not inform themselves about the system specifications. And the game does require a bit of 'good pc management' as well. Maybe a bit more than some other games that work 100% out of the box for everyone.

It's debatable, but the majority of players seems to have little problems besides known bugs or missing features that they would have wanted (bugs will be ironed out, a lot already have been). The number of complaining customers on the forum and on the support channel compared to total units sold would suggest it looks a lot worse than it actually is.

The thing with reviews and forum topics is, that 90% or more is always the negative kind. People are quick to complain, but if they're happy, they often don't come here to say that, they simply keep on sailing happily."
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 07:03:08 by LoneWolfDon »
Each day is a gift. Enjoy! :)

1st Commander

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 06:51:54 »

So, Reck that's some of the dope about Ship Simulator in brief.

Regards
vin_sun

LMAO!!!!! See... We are the dealers of high quality Ship Simulators.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 06:54:18 by 1st Commander »

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 09:20:47 »

LMAO!!!!! See... We are the dealers of high quality Ship Simulators.

I was "dealing" with it in a much different way !!!  ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:15:27 by vin_sun »
Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit.

reck

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 01:31:08 »

hi guys,

thanks for the replies  :) i downloaded the demo from steam and sort of completed both missions (greenpeace mission told me to use water cannon i couldn't figure out how and still passed objective  ??? )

i just started up fraps to test my fps with different settings, first with everything up to the highest i got a stable 8fps. so i tried to put everything to medium and it said it needed a restart to apply changes no problem quit game and relaunch.  now i cant get into the game at all the vstep loading goes to 100% then screen goes black game minmises and the maximises repeatedly  ???  the only way i have been able to even quit the game is "crtl+alt+del" and log off as i cant even use task manager with the maximising/minimising thing going on.

how can i reset the default settings if i cant get into the game? please help

EDIT: fixed it by unregistering game and relaunching

reck
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 01:36:47 by reck »

LoneWolfDon

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 01:52:28 »

Hi reck.
Well, hope you're enjoying the SSE demo so far.

For future reference, if you are a bit of a "computer geek" and want to manually adjust some of the settings yourself, you can go to your "My Documents" folder in Windows and should find a "ShipSimExtremes Userdata" folder (though I don't know if that's how it is for the demo version), then open up "Enginesettings.ini" and "AdvancedQualitySettings.ini" with something like notepad, then you can carefully change and adjust some of the settings manually then save.  But, I'd advise you to make a backup copy of those files before making any changes (and that way you'll always have a copy of the "default" settings), and only change things you feel confident about what it is, otherwise it might be best not to fool around with some of the settings if you're not sure what they are for.

Well, let us know your thoughts on things after trying the demo a bit more and if you'll decide to "take the plunge" and get the full SSE.
Cheers! :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 01:54:03 by LoneWolfDon »

reck

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 02:04:51 »

hi again :)

i have noticed something strange after some simple tests :/

with the resolution at my native 1440x900
highest settings: 8 fps
medium settings: 7 fps
low settings: 8 fps

with resolution 1024x768
highest settings: 8 fps
medium settings: 8 fps
lowest settings: 8 fps

this is in the tourist demo mission both idling at start point/looking around and moving/turning at around 30 knts

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9500 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 3326MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode
Display Devices
---------------
        Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512
     Manufacturer: NVIDIA
        Chip type: GeForce 8800 GTS 512
         DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
       Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0600&SUBSYS_82681043&REV_A2
   Display Memory: 1904 MB
 Dedicated Memory: 497 MB
    Shared Memory: 1407 MB
     Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (75Hz)
          Monitor: Hannspree M19W2
      Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
   Driver Version: 8.17.0012.6099 (English)
      DDI Version: 10
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
 Driver Date/Size: 10/22/2010 06:23:05, 10023528 bytes

i have also tried playing with settings within the nvidia control panel which dont seem to have made any difference at all.

anyone know if/how i could get even another 5fps out of this game? if i can i will buy it but ideally would like slightly better performance.

thanks,

reck

LoneWolfDon

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 04:05:36 »

Reck:
Check out these threads for some suggestions that may help improve things a bit:
http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,23507.0.html

http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,23438.0.html

A better graphics card might help too, but that's a hardware side of things.

And I can't say if the demo performs the same as the full version, but should give you a good idea of how SSE looks and works.
Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 04:08:22 by LoneWolfDon »

reck

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 04:07:08 »

Reck:
Check out these threads for some suggestions that may help improve things a bit:
http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,23507.0.html

http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,23438.0.html

And I can't say if the demo performs the same as the full version.
Good luck.

hi thanks for the reply,

i think your links may be broken or something as when i click them i get
"The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you. "

but thanks for trying anyways

reck

LoneWolfDon

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 04:18:16 »

Ahhh, right, I think you have to have a registered full version of the game then enter in your key-code in the forums here to access those areas. I forgot about that.

Well, the first post, here's the tip that may help improve performance:
you may try the following tweak, given by the developpers.

You can try to change the game's settings like so;

Open up EngineSettings.ini (which is in your UserData folder) and look at the following lines:

<Gamma>0.50</Gamma>
    <PhysicsCollisions>1.00</PhysicsCollisions>
    <RenderCrew>0.00</RenderCrew>
    <AntiAliasingQuality>0</AntiAliasingQuality>
    <AdapterNr>0</AdapterNr>
    <UseThreads>1</UseThreads>

And add that last line. It is experimental and can be very unstable, so use at your own risk.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second link, well it was a list of tips I posted that can help to improve performance of Windows in general, which in turn can help to improve the performance of SSE. I won't post it here, as it was a rather lengthy post. But if you want, I could probably PM you a copy of the info posted in that second link.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 04:23:10 by LoneWolfDon »

reck

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 04:22:27 »

i think something is wrong somewhere as i have none of that in my enginesetings.ini except
"<Gamma>0.50</Gamma>"

this is my enginesettings.ini:

<EngineSettings>
   <RenderSky>1.00</RenderSky>
   <RenderWorld_Colour>1.00</RenderWorld_Colour>
   <RenderWorld_Depth>1.00</RenderWorld_Depth>
   <RenderWorld_Reflection>1.00</RenderWorld_Reflection>
   <RenderWorld_DepthRefraction>1.00</RenderWorld_DepthRefraction>
   <RenderWorld_ColourRefraction>1.00</RenderWorld_ColourRefraction>
   <RenderWorld_PostProcess>1.00</RenderWorld_PostProcess>
   <RenderWorld_PostProcess_WeatherEffects>1.00</RenderWorld_PostProcess_WeatherEffects>
   <UseLoaderThread>1.00</UseLoaderThread>
   <RunWindowed>1.00</RunWindowed>
   <ShowTitleBar>0.00</ShowTitleBar>
   <ResolutionX>1440.00</ResolutionX>
   <ResolutionY>900.00</ResolutionY>
   <RefreshRate>75.00</RefreshRate>
   <ColorDepth>32.00</ColorDepth>
   <CamQuality>0.50</CamQuality>
   <CamZFarLowQuality>8000.00</CamZFarLowQuality>
   <CamZFarHighQuality>30000.00</CamZFarHighQuality>
   <CamReflectionLODFactor>0.33</CamReflectionLODFactor>
   <CamRefractionLODFactor>0.20</CamRefractionLODFactor>
   <Gamma>0.50</Gamma>
</EngineSettings>

i hope you can help me figure something out

thanks

reck

reck

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 04:29:07 »

ok i went ahead and added all of that to my ini file to see if it did anything and it gives me an extra 1fps  ;D

although from what i have read i think i may be on an old version the demo i have is build: 1039 version 1.2.1

LoneWolfDon

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 04:30:58 »

Oh. Well in that case it could be a difference from the demo version and the full version.
I suppose you could try adding that last line of code anyways and see if it works, but where you have the demo version and you say your "enginesettings.ini" file looks a bit different, it may not work quite the same as the full version. For some users though, with the full version, it helped to improve FPS and performance of SSE. 

Ahhh.. I just seen your post, you say you notice the demo version is on the older build. Yes, the most recent version of the full SSE is higher build number that that, 1.3 I believe.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 04:34:08 by LoneWolfDon »

reck

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 04:35:13 »

ok lone, here's one for you if you still around..... should i buy it or not do you think it is worth it? it seems more or less playable as is and maybe the full updated version will be better who knows

LoneWolfDon

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 04:47:01 »

Well, that's up to you. Not every game or sim is everyone's cup-of-tea.

But, you've tried the demo now, you got some feedback, you say it's playable on your computer and you're interested enough to consider buying it. 

The full version has more features and improvements from what you see in the demo. I can't say that everything will be without hiccups or possible glitches that could crop up, but from personal experience it's been fairly smooth-sailing for me running SSE on this fairly old computer of mine.

So, if you think it's the kind of sim / game that would hold your interest, then I'd say go for it. Personally, I'm having a great time with it, and I can see myself enjoying SSE for a long time yet to come. You can see my earlier post in this thread for some of my thoughts on it.

Cheers.   :captain:

reck

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 04:51:21 »

too late reply already brought it :P

if you want pm me your steam id and i'll add you :)

:2thumbs:

LoneWolfDon

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 04:56:52 »

Welcome Aboard Captain Reck!  ;D

Hope things will go well for you.

Remember to register your license-key with your profile on the forums here for full access to the forums here, access to the extra down-loadable missions, as well as allowing you to play Multiplayer sessions:

http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,20398.0.html

I'll also send you a PM with some other info.
See you on the waves. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 05:05:58 by LoneWolfDon »

reck

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 15:54:58 »

maybe someone can help with my version/update problem over here:

http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,23630.0.html

thanks

reck
Pages: [1]   Go Up