Hello Guest May 23, 2024, 23:52:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I go buy Ship Simulator 2010 and I need informations abaut the game  (Read 1634 times)

nathan.rail

• Forum member

I go buy Ship Simulator 2010 and I need informations abaut the game.

1-  Will avaiable Titanic in the shipyard to download? (That's the principal think I need to know).

2-  How much ships have?

3-  The controls are realistic or they are simplified? I like realistic controls, I prefer realistic simulators with all controls that have in a real ship. Simplified controls (easy game) make game boring. More hard more cool.

4-  How much campaings have and what about is witch one?

5-  How much harbors have and where is witch one?

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
Re: I go buy Ship Simulator 2010 and I need informations abaut the game
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 23:25:36 »

Hello.

1- The Titanic is not in the game yet, but I have heard that she will most likely be in the Shipyard in some months.

2- Here is a highly comprehensive ship list here: http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,20953.0.html

3- The game is not arrow keys simple, but it is not unbelievable complex. In a nut shell, you have your controls, be they throttles, wheels, azipods, bow thrusters, etc. for steering. On top of that, you can moor, anchor, turn on or off various navigation lights, and more. For navigation, you have your heading, speed over ground, navigating chart, radar, conning screen, and more. I am fairly certain that this is the most accurate simulation game in the public domain.

4- There are currently three campaigns: Tourist Tales, Greenpeace, and Core. Gameplay of the three can be seen here: http://www.shipsim.com/media/trailers

5: The game includes the Atlantic Ocean and part of Antarctica as well as the following harbors: Dover (which also includes Calais in the same environment), Hamburg, Marseille, New York, Rotterdam, San FranciscoSouthampton (including the Solent), and Sydney. The harbors are in the countries of Great Britain (with France), Germany, France, the United States, The Netherlands, the United States, Great Britain, and Australia.

Aad The Pirate

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 16:12:07 »

BTW, the proper name isn't Ship Simulator 2010 but Ship Simulator Extremes.
Feel free to have a look @: http://members.chello.nl/a.vermeulen14/

Matthew Brown

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 19:00:42 »

jacksos101

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 21:54:59 »

Hi Nathan,

I wouldn't say that SSE has particularly complex controls. I would definitely prefer if they were a bit more comprehensive and allowed for realistic start ups and shut-downs (but they don't even allow for unrealistic ones, like SS2008  :(). Controlling the ships movements is basically using arrow keys (maybe the numpad), although many of the ships have bow thrusters (another two keys), and some have two rudders (or pods), which you can control independently.
The controls of the hovercraft are slightly different, and some ships have a "water-cannon" (pretty pointless, really).

Forgive me if I have missed out any other controls.  :)

BTW, if you play FSX (or FS9), then be advised that the controls of SSE come nowhere close to the controls and realism of these flight simulators. Nowhere close...

TJK

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 22:21:43 »

BTW, if you play FSX (or FS9), then be advised that the controls of SSE come nowhere close to the controls and realism of these flight simulators. Nowhere close...

Sorry if i say something that hurt you feeling, but have you played the first
1982 – Flight Simulator 1.0, i have and have them all and the first versions was not so impressive but after building so after 28 years the come up with a real good simulator
then compeer it to the last one 28 years of building so no strange Microsoft are their they are today

Vstep are a smaller company and the first game, shipsim was in 2006 and to now, 4 years to SSE can you see the different in the game from 2006 and watt they have make out in SS E
so let us wait 28 years from now and see watt v-step with less developers and smaller company will deliver us

jacksos101

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 22:42:45 »

I understand what you are saying, and you do have a point. Microsoft does have a lot more experience than VStep.

But the way that I see it is that when Microsoft was developing their simulator, they were technology pioneers, forging the way forward. When we look back at FS 1.0, yes, it is pretty pathetic. But this is only in hindsight. Back in 1982, I'm sure this would have been state-of-the-art software that everyone in the computer industry would have been talking about.

My point is this: Microsoft's simulators were the top software of their day, whereas SSE is several years behind graphically, and with the present rate with which technology is advancing, several years is a long way back (this is overall; the water effect are great, but when you take into account the rest of the graphics, well, you get what I mean).

Now I'm not suggesting that VStep has to be the most advanced software of the day, rather, all I expect from them is that they more-or-less keep up with other developers. If they cannot do this then they should price their product appropriately (as opposed to pricing their product on the high end of the pricing continuum)...

Sorry for going on about this, it is getting a bit off topic.  ;)  
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 22:45:07 by jacksos101 »

PoRL

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 00:00:45 »

Can we just hold off with the "Microsoft are really large / VSTEP are really small" argument, please?

The whole of Microsoft wasn't involved with developing the Flight Simulator series; it was just a small development company - ACES Studio - that was a wholly-owned subsidiary of Microsoft (before it closed). Also, the "They've been doing it for 28 years and we've only been doing it for 6" is a bit silly, to be honest, as VSTEP don't exist in isolation (as the developers of Flight Simulator pretty much did at the outset), and can build on and enhance the techniques being discovered by the multitude of other gaming studios.

No, the fundamental difference between the ship simulator series and the flight simulator series was that the fly-guys were aiming for as much realism as possible, limited ONLY by the technology available at the time. You'll recall that the tagline for FSX was "As real as it gets".

With SSE, it has already been stated on these forums that VSTEP made the concious choice NOT to model certain aspects in order to maintain a differential between it's "professional" product, and the game. Perhaps "As real as we're going to give you"! The limiting factor isn't the technology.

In my opinion, I feel this might have been a marketing error by VSTEP. There are  a number of reasons, but put simply:
1) It wouldn't hurt the professional product sales at all. I've seen the multi-screen bridge views and full-sized controls etc etc of a real simulator, and a PC doesn't even come close! You really wouldn't want a professional tanker driver to be trained in any other environment.

2) There are a huge number of amateur sailors studying day skipper / coastal skipper* / yachtmaster, and a properly configured simulator with navaids, tidal effects, and AI would be a fantastic training aid, especially if it were accompanied by an almanack and paper chart. (You could even charge for these as an optional extra!) - Perhaps even a tie-in with the RYA to use their fictitious training materials? I can see every single one of these students buying a copy!
(*Yes, I know the name's changed!)

Am I disappointed in SSE? I have to say "yes", I'm afraid. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I do sense there was something of a "oh, that's good enough! It's only a game" attitude prevalent during its development. SSE was something to earn a few euros to help pay for the development of the "grown up" version. Maybe I'm being unfair, but I do feel an opportunity has been missed.

On my boat, the crew's job is to make the skipper look good!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines