Hello Guest June 26, 2024, 00:12:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using SSE below spec  (Read 5295 times)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
Using SSE below spec
« on: September 05, 2010, 17:47:03 »

Has anyone tried using SSE on a below-spec pc?

My laptop has a 4530 ATI card, which is below spec (and before the goderators come out of their coffins, I know the spec's are for a good reason- I also know they are minimum guideline and not an absolute (UNLESS it is programmed to deliberately not run, as with some micromush products.)

Main processor is a twin core Turion with more memory than a ... whatever it was, I've forgotten.

Opinions?
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Ballast

• Global Moderator
Re: Using SSE below spec
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 17:53:00 »

Has anyone tried using SSE on a below-spec pc?

I think 80% of all the people who reported problems on the forum did.

Attached my dxdiag, and SSE works so-so on my machine..
It's the crew that makes the difference

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 18:11:40 »

I think 80% of all the people who reported problems on the forum did.

And some of them blamed Vstep for the problems......  ::)

I don't mean to sound harsh, but it is folk's responsibility - not Vstep's - to make sure their PC meets the minimum system requirement AND to ensure that drivers for graphic card are kept up-to-date & installed.

Buying the game when you know your PC is below the specs and hoping it will work anyway, is only asking for grief.
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

Captain Kingsbury

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 18:41:48 »

my laptop's processors are just under the given specs, everything else is above. I have smooth running on medium settings and sometimes a bit higher, but the frame rate does drop on 'high'

jakanddexter

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 18:45:54 »

hey my laptop has a geforce 8600 would that work at all how good would the game work on mine
I like boats.

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 18:48:26 »

You need atleast a GeFore 8800 GT. It does not only depend on your videocard, but also on your processor and RAM. If you use the search function, you can read more about it. It has been discussed many times by now.
It's the crew that makes the difference

jakanddexter

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 18:53:39 »

it will work for me then ;D
I like boats.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 19:23:41 »

Hi Stuart,
I have sent you an Email regarding this matter. Nice to see you back on the forum a little more.

Regards,
Angus.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 19:29:13 »

it will work for me then ;D

You do realise the minimum required one is actually better than yours?  :-\

So I would not jump to that conclusion if the rest of the pc isn't really up to it, to be honest.

Regards,
Fred

jakanddexter

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 02:37:00 »

plz dont put my hopes down :thumbdown:
I like boats.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 06:22:44 »

Just being realistic.  :-\

It's much worse to get your hopes up and then being disappointed, trust me.

Your graphics card is below specs. So you will not be able to run the game on any really nice setting. And that's just a fact, to be honest. Better expect that beforehand, so it won't be such a bummer later.

Regards,
Fred

jakanddexter

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 15:09:16 »

ok
I like boats.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 10:40:27 »

Thanks Angus, but due to the misfortune my old laptop suffered at short notice (!) I still can't access my emails, although my web hosting company (you know who you are, Adam) has kindly given me all the info so when I get chance I can log in and download the 4 million messages that are undoubtedly waiting for me.

Angus, if I send you my new email address, can you resend it?

As for the other comments on this topic... did the other goderators and want-to-be-goderators not notice the point about leaving their coffins?

Any chance that marty will be on here shortly to lambast for daring to ask whether it might (at purchasers OWN RISK) work...  ::)
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 12:57:38 »

Is a goderator from Goderia..?  Then they must be called Goderians..
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 13:11:27 by saltydog »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 17:36:45 »

Is a goderator from Goderia..?  Then they must be called Goderians..

No, SD... It is a mis-spelling and mis-quote of Godmite, which as you may have heard is the name given to people who like Marmite, but aren't man (or woman) enough for it.

Eraser74

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 09:08:23 »

You need atleast a GeFore 8800 GT. It does not only depend on your videocard, but also on your processor and RAM. If you use the search function, you can read more about it. It has been discussed many times by now.

Which is a joke to put this as minimum requirements. Even Crysis has lower min specs as this game, which just shows how bad the graphic engine is and how bad the game is optimized.

Very bad job from V-Step, they should get some people who know how to code.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 09:20:51 »

Such as you, eraser74?

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 09:47:48 »

Funny how folks whose PC's don't meet the minimum requirements are the biggest moaners about how terrible SSE is. I see that some are not even a registered Extremes user (meaning they haven't bought the game), so how would they know how bad it is?  Frankly I'm fed up of hearing about these negative comments.

The minimum requirements are there for a reason. It's to stop people who have bought SSE from being disappointed when they installed the game only to find their PC can't handle it.

I have SSE and it runs absolutely no problem on my PC, despite my graphic card being 2 years old now (I get 30-40fps in medium settings). I took steps to make sure my PC would be able to play SSE, such as buying more RAM, upgrade the CPU, updating the drivers etc.

As for telling Vstep to get some people who know how to code, I suppose Microsoft better have some as well, since there were some serious bug problems with XP, Vista and Windows 7 on its release, plus the never-ending patches to plug exploits/vulnerabilities. Oh and don't forget the Internet Explorer bugs which put people's personal data at risk as well.......  ::)
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

Cedhed

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 04:14:59 »

It is also worth noting that even for people who have above spec PC's performance can often be bad due to unrealistic expectations of what their computer is capable of. Quite a few will go in and max all the graphic settings and then get frustrated when it doesn't run butter smooth at 60fps.  Realistically setting their graphics settings would result in a much improved experience for them, but that doesn't stroke their ego.

I've seen it quite frequently in a few other sims.

Ultimately, set your graphics so that you get a steady frame rate, even if it means turning down/off some eye candy, and then focus on playing. You'll enjoy yourself a whole lot more that way.

Eraser74

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 15:36:15 »

Well I am gaming on PC for over a 15 years, if not longer on PCs, so I know a bit about updating drivers and such, but to put out a game, which is a simulator by the way, a very niche product and have such high minimum requirements is just rediculous.

My PC can handle Crysis, which is a performance whore, quite well on medium settings, but not SSE?? That is just a sign of bad optimization and the graphics and physics aren´t that great. They use a terrible engine for their games, maybe they should look and see how Valve or ID or Epic are handling performance in their games.

Setting the details to a lower setting didn´t affect my fps at all and the game looked even worse than SS08.

It also is true that people who meet or exceed the recommended specs can´t play the game due to low fps, so there is something terribly wrong in the game code.

I can understand that some people want to defend the game, given that they have just shelled out their money for it and nobody wants to make a bad purchase, but this game is buggy as hell and it´s gonna take a lot of time to fix these issues.

They just rushed this game out the door.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 15:39:30 by Eraser74 »

carljor

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 15:54:23 »

Hello,

I know my pc is below system requirements; BUT

The game wont even start. Questsim comes up, loads and then "freezes" the game, not the pc.

Even thou it should start right?

Sorry if i posted in the wrong thread!

goodles

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 15:56:10 »

Hello,

I know my pc is below system requirements; BUT

The game wont even start. Questsim comes up, loads and then "freezes" the game, not the pc.

Even thou it should start right?

Sorry if i posted in the wrong thread!

if the PC is below the requiremetns, then yes this could cause the game not to load at all or very slow to load or do anything

Cedhed

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 02:31:02 »

My PC can handle Crysis, which is a performance whore, quite well on medium settings, but not SSE??

Crysis is also a rather old game. It was released in 2007, even before SS2008 hit the market. And it actually has similar requirements to SSE (other than graphics hardware). My current machine does alright on Crysis at med (30's) and also does acceptable on SSE. In fact my Video card (Radeon 4850) is listed in the minimum requirements by name.

And I wasn't necessarily speaking to what happens to SSE users, but rather to experience with quite a few other similar new releases of simulators and common occurrences that surround them.

Best bet, update graphics drivers, sound drivers. Defrag (if using XP), and kill unnecessary running processes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines