Hello Guest September 16, 2024, 20:20:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beneluxhaven - Port of Rotterdam  (Read 2043 times)

metman

• Forum member
Beneluxhaven - Port of Rotterdam
« on: May 11, 2010, 17:43:49 »

I am sure there are many people who enjoy berthing/sailing to/from the RoRo terminal at Beneluxhaven in the Port of Rotterdam with Pride of Rotterdam.  For both gamers and mercantile marine bridge crew it is rather testing!!  However my question which I hope some of our Dutch friends can answer is - why is the terminal placed in that angled position?  I presume it isn't on the other wall, sorry quayside, because that quay is used for container vessels.  However the large basin before you get to the terminal is large enough to allow the PoR to be swung and  brought astern onto the ramp if it was parallel to the wall and facing out of the basin.  There must be some good reason why it has been constructed as we see it, I would just like to know why!!!  Hoping someone out there can supply the answer.

Regards

Metman

McGherkin

• Forum member
Re: Beneluxhaven - Port of Rotterdam
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 15:11:24 »

Perhaps because there are berths on the inside of the dock?
Almost never here, try here.

Nathan|C

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 23:22:04 »

The terminal has always been in that angle since the first P&O North Sea ships in the 1960s. Back then the ships were smaller so the turnaround wasn't a problem. I think the angle is like that to allow a quick departure without going backwards - RPA don't like ships going astern. For the next generation larger ships, the terminal will probably be re-located, or the current one altered again. 

metman

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 16:05:23 »

Thanks for your reply Nathan, greatly appreciated

Regards

Metman

CornishChris

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 12:14:06 »

I must say that of all the ships available the Pride of Rotterdam is the most unmanageable of all. If she had steered like this in reality P&O would never have accepted delivery and she would have returned to the yard to have larger rudders fitted.
It is like trying to steer a canal barge.
I have been a navigating officer and master on larger passenger ships like this and I can tell you that this one is not realistic.

Nathan|C

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 15:00:36 »

I take it you are using the 1.4.2 version of the game, VSTEP were not given any information from P&O about the dynamics of the real ship and therefore she is very sluggish. I have attached the 1.4 version POR dynamics, which I find to be much more realistic.

To install, copy the file to My Computer >> Program Files >> VSTEP >> ShipSim2008 >> Actors >> Objects >> Pride of Rotterdam and paste it there, replacing the original file.

I did send a picture of the POR bridge poster to VSTEP so hopefully we will be gettng more realistic dynamics in the future.

CornishChris

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 08:48:12 »

Thanks a lot, I will give it a try
Regards
Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines