Hello Guest September 24, 2024, 15:36:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Esperanza's Captain- Behind the Mask  (Read 872 times)

MVEsperanza

• Forum member
Esperanza's Captain- Behind the Mask
« on: March 30, 2010, 04:03:37 »

Esperanzas Captain

Well we've had some stuff about this ship but not about whaling but look who the captains i never would have guest it be no other than a Spambot

http://weblog.greenpeace.org/oceandefenders/archive/2007/01/karli_expedition_leader.html

Hi, my name is Karli and I'm the expedition leader onboard the Esperanza for this campaign in the Southern Ocean.

I'm from a small place at the northernmost tip of New Zealand's South Island, called Golden Bay (someone told me recently that they thought everyone should be from a place with a name like that). At the entrance to the Bay is a sandspit, where sometimes whole pods of whales get stranded.

That was always a time when the whole community would get together with buckets, gumboots, wetsuits, whatever - and try to save the whales by re-floating them with the next high tide. I remember going by bus from our little country school to the windswept beach to help with the efforts. It was always sad when some of those whales could not be saved  but it's not as heartbreaking as when people go out to deliberately hunt whales in one of the most untouched parts of our planet.

Growing up so close to the ocean means it has always been my passion. I first worked on marine issues when I was in Tonga, and helped with public education about whales, and promoting whale watching. Tonga has a successful whale-watching industry, and the humpback whales that people go there to see may be the same whales that the Japanese Government intends to add to its hunting plans for the next whaling season.

There are so many threats facing our oceans, and I want to help make sure that hunting whales is no longer one of those threats.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
Re: Esperanza's Captain- Behind the Mask
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 04:35:10 »

Actually, that is quite an old entry from early 2007, the crew has since changed around a bit, I would think, though a lot of them might still be there...  and the expedition leader is not the captain I'm afraid.

On the same site, you'll find that this guy was the captain, around that time:
http://weblog.greenpeace.org/oceandefenders/archive/2007/02/frank_captain_4.html

Here's the entire crew list for that time aswell, you can see each of their stories, like the one you posted:
http://weblog.greenpeace.org/oceandefenders/crew-list.html

But I think the captain has since been replaced, and there wás a female captain on the Esperanza before IIRC, But I don't recall her name.

Regards,
Fred

MVEsperanza

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 04:42:25 »

Wow franks scary looking lol

Well nevermind lol Thanks fred very informational

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 06:43:21 »

My pleasure!  :thumbs:

MVEsperanza

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 17:49:23 »

I saw a post by here and it said posted by Captain Karli

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 22:47:15 »

he sorta reminds me of Ben Linus from the lost series, has that crazy looks in his eyes.

thanks to Tore/TJK for this awesome sig

MVEsperanza

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 02:31:12 »

I like Captain Karli lol, she seems normal
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines