Hello Guest September 16, 2024, 20:56:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Finding things on this forum  (Read 2730 times)

cptdave1958

• Forum member
Finding things on this forum
« on: January 29, 2010, 13:41:46 »

This is the hardest forum to find information on!!!!!

TJK

Re: Finding things on this forum
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 13:46:08 »

This is the hardest forum to find information on!!!!!

not so dificukt do, use the sears buton, you can find good stuff to use that

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 13:53:50 »

Hi cptdave1958

Have you tried the search option?

Have you tried The FAQ board?

You can also try asking the people, or asking a staff member for help, instead of making excuses for not looking hard enough and blaming it on the forum.

Sorry, that sounded a little harsh, forgive me. I didn't mean it to do so, but I think it's a bit rude to just come out and make such a claim, to be honest. A lot of people put a lot of free time and effort into helping out their fellow shipsimmers and write tutorials, manuals and guides.

We have large group of regular members that help our members out with all sorts of problems and question (which we are really grateful for), and the staff is always happy to help too.

There are plenty of help topics in the FAQ boards covering all sorts of subjects to do with the game, as FAQ's do, and there are helpful sticky topics at the top of many relevant boards explaining things about that particular subject, and to the best of my knowledge most of our members get their questions answered. (Provided they don't ask for the impossible)

I have been on many many forums, and I don't share your opinion. I migth be a little biassed ofcourse, granted, but it's mainly just my observation when I look at all the ones I have frequented.

So I don't see the problem just yet, but what is the information you are in search of, may I ask? Perhaps I can help!  :)

Regards,
Fred

* typo
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 13:56:25 by Mad_Fred »

TJK

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 14:27:38 »

HI cptdave1958
Here you have a list of all Moderators on the forum
and we all are glad to help you out watt ever you problems are
That are over job to do so, so you are welcome to ask us in a pm or in forum
some question are difficult they take a bit longer time to resolve but we do it

Who Are The Moderators And Administrators?

Administrators

Mark (maintenance, not for general questions)
Mad_Fred ( nearly all kind of question, key problemes and so on...

Moderators, English forums

Mad_Fred
marcstrat
TerryRussell ( mostly technical problem and more)
sadsid
Traddles
Dave M ( technical problem and more)
Groennegaard

Moderators, German section

Bottman
Sturmfahrt

Moderators, Dutch section

marcstrat
Mad_Fred
JoMach

Moderators, French section

LucAtC
Denis
Moderators, Scandinavian section

TJK  (technical problem missions, servers  and more)

ccr-lover

And all members that have some skills that are to some help

so as you see you are not alone here
Regards
TJK/Tore

Hi cptdave1958

Have you tried the search option?

Have you tried The FAQ board?

You can also try asking the people, or asking a staff member for help, instead of making excuses for not looking hard enough and blaming it on the forum.

Sorry, that sounded a little harsh, forgive me. I didn't mean it to do so, but I think it's a bit rude to just come out and make such a claim, to be honest. A lot of people put a lot of free time and effort into helping out their fellow shipsimmers and write tutorials, manuals and guides.

We have large group of regular members that help our members out with all sorts of problems and question (which we are really grateful for), and the staff is always happy to help too.

There are plenty of help topics in the FAQ boards covering all sorts of subjects to do with the game, as FAQ's do, and there are helpful sticky topics at the top of many relevant boards explaining things about that particular subject, and to the best of my knowledge most of our members get their questions answered. (Provided they don't ask for the impossible)

I have been on many many forums, and I don't share your opinion. I migth be a little biassed ofcourse, granted, but it's mainly just my observation when I look at all the ones I have frequented.

So I don't see the problem just yet, but what is the information you are in search of, may I ask? Perhaps I can help!  :)

Regards,
Fred

mvsmith

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 15:19:29 »

Hi cptdave,

At the top of the Missions board you will find bold blue topics that include instructions for using the Search function. While those instructions are specific to finding topics on missions, you can use one or more key words to search the entire forum as well. If you need more help in searching, you can send me a PM saying what you are looking for, and I’ll send an example specific to that query.

From the Missions board, you can also download manuals and tutorials on playing and making missions and on operating some of the ships.

As Fred and Tore have said, help is always available to those who simply ask, rather than complain.

Regards,
Marty

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 19:21:46 »

Is there a queue to have a go at this bloke? Oh, my turn then.

Some people do not know what search terms to ask for and the problem is that they do not actually know the ultimate question to life, the universe and well- all forums.

If you don't know what the question is then you can't know what the answer is (unless of course the answer is 42 in which case you will have to wait 5 million years for the question). If you don't know that you don't know the question then you don't know that you can't know that the answer eludes you. If on the other hand you know that you don't know you know the question then then the possibility that you do indeed know that the answer is something you don't know you know.

Alternatively when you know the question and know you know the answer, then we all know you know you are a smug coin thrower/pancake maker.  :lol:

AS a merecat would say difficults  ;)
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

mvsmith

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 20:13:18 »

You are right, Stu, that hitch-hiking one’s way through the forum can be frustrating if one cannot chose the right words for the search.
Articles, definite or indefinite, are seldom of help. Neither is posing a question to this search engine, such as: “how do I steer the boat?”

There is actually help available on using Search, and one does not have to search hard to find it:
Start with Help in the top ribbon of any page. Then scroll to the bottom of that page.
Click on Searching in the bottom ribbon.
Study and practice.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 20:29:55 »

If the forum search feature is anything like Google search then type in "how do I steer a boat?" and the answer will come back as one of the following

1) Are you paying too much for your boat insurance?
2)Buy "how do I steer a boat?" very cheap on Ebay
3)Buy your cross channel tickets through us. You don't know us and we'll be gone once we have your money.

Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

mvsmith

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 20:37:19 »

On the other hand, Bing is advertised as “the decision engine”. Does that mean it decides for itself what it thinks you are really looking for?

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 21:07:45 »

No, I think it means it TELLS you what you SHOULD be looking for :o

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 07:04:13 »

I'm a bit confused..What information is needed..?

mvsmith

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 14:58:43 »

I'm a bit confused..What information is needed..?

Hopefully it is not 42 so that we must wait 5 million years to find out. He never asked a question, just lodged a complaint.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 15:34:15 »

A bit like saying "I find the atmosphere on the moon a bit thin for my liking"
or saying "I've never been to Corfu, but I found the people there unpleasant"*

Such silliness... Still it disproves Darwins theory of evolution, as do several people here :evil:

* I actually heard a comment just like this, believe it or not. Judge what thee doesn't know... ::) (BTW the people of Corfu are actually very nice indeed, especially a little taverna down by the airport... but don't drink their Ouzo- it will kill with one shot).

khattab

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 18:26:33 »

im having a problem finding an answer to an issue im having with an addon ive bought. the search box has so far been of no use to me. i know forums are difficult to run and moderate and i appreciate the hard work you put into it but there is NO well defined section for me to log my query. try putting 'custom missions' or 'addon problems' or even 'addons' into the much vaunted search box and tell me it my fault for missing something.

incidentally i have found somewhere to post my query. in case you were wondering (and to possibly double my chances of getting this resolved) i'll give it you again.

i have the Elbe mission pack, i have the Elbe and can play with it in free roaming but when i go to play a custom mission with it (and yes i know some include other ships, Old and the New for example however does not) im told that "this mission includes ships that are not availiable in your version of Ship Simulator". i know this, thats why i just paid £4.99 for it. Not happy man, not when i've actually paid money for something i've not got. Well half got...

The shipyard page and the installer itself make no mention of needing new horizons or anything else, and yes a have the latest version installed. i know this isnt the place for this query but sorry guys...the forums a bit of a mess.

thanks for your time, looking forward to getting something in return for my £4.99

x

mvsmith

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 19:45:54 »

Hi khattab,

Forgive me for not welcoming you to the forum, but your demeanor suggests that would not be appropriate.

Instead of a long diatribe, perhaps you could simply ask a question, or state your problem clearly.

You could, for instance ask, on the Missions board, about a specific mission that claims to need ships you do not have.

If I understand correctly, you have purchased Elbe, and then downloaded the Elbe Super Pack. It states, on the information for downloading the Pack that some missions require the New Horizons add-on to Ship Simulator 2008.

At the end of the installation, you are shown an Information screen, which contains notes on each mission. Any non-standard vessels needed are listed. By “non-standard” is meant any not included in SS 2008 + New Horizons.

You have not stated clearly whether you have New Horizons installed. It is a requirement for the majority of custom missions.

If you do have New Horizons, you can ask about a specific mission on the Missions board, and I will examine it and give you a list of the ships that are used in that mission.

Regards,
Marty

“Old and the New”, for instance, requires these ships in addition to Elbe:
Vermaas, Pride of Rotterdam, Pilot boat - Pioneer, Rescue boat – Arie Visser, and the Small container ship.

For the North Sea environment you also need these ships:
Agile Solution, Fairmount Sherpa, Latitude, Oil rig Eirick Raude, and the fishing vessel Northern Star.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 22:21:41 by mvsmith »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 20:28:42 »

Hi Khattab

Marty has done the technical bit- superbly as ever and with great wisdom and authority.

Now for the polite, well mannered part:

Hello Khattab, and welcome to the forum. I can see you are frustrated by the lack of information you have found. Like any forum, the search engine isn't that clever and it is often hard to know what KEY words to use and in what order.

I am sure you will realise that some people here get irritated by repeating the same things- which isn't the fault of the new member, it is just a fact of life. Don't judge a poster by the terseness of his reply, he is a nice bloke once you get to know/ignore him.

So, as Marty says- take a deep breath, pay attention to his words of guidance and he- and others- will help you get the best out of the sim.

PS I actually agree with one point- standard SHOULD mean 2008... NOT 2008+NH. I don't have new horizons, never have and never will... Purely to prove a point   ;)

khattab

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 19:29:51 »

I like terse replies, shows character  :P

Something i appear to have displayed a lack of.

Im sorry my previous posts were a little stressy, i'd just spent ages looking for an answer to a fairly simple question and i although lots of people seem to have had the same problem they also seem to have had (and i'm not having a go here..) the same problem getting a simple answer. But yes, i apologise. One of those thing you look back on and think "Really? was i tHAt annoyed?". (I was nearly that annoyed  8) ) I'm not even going to begin to tell you how to run your forum, two friends of mine set up an online business and the forum was the biggest pain in the arse known to mankind! But if i may make a tiny innocent flowery strawberry flavoured non-offensive suggestion; there are literally hundreds of posts, reposts of the same question, and totally off topic posts. The only other forum i've been a member of was a little militant in their moderating but it was really good, easy to use and....well, a bit boring. But it worked. (It was the ofp.info forum in case youre wondering)
If it annoys you to keep repeating something maybe its because people are having problems finding the answers. I'm not saying "the customer (or freeloading internet user) is always right", more often that not they are everything but right. But if its a recurring problem maybe there are other ways of addressing it?

Anyway, lecture over, sorry to be a pain, i sound like an miserable old man (im 26) whinging about his computer boats! But everyone loves feedback....sometimes  ::)
(I'm aware this post is in the wrong place too by the way, lol)

But back to my question, keeping with 'Old and the New' for example, i have all those ships, and it really really doesnt even mention New Horizons in the shipyard, the application itself, or anywhere else. (unless im missing something..which i may be but i dont think so) So what do you think may be the problem?
The Elbe mission pack says its requirements are; The Elbe. If i do need new Horizons to play any of the missions then maybe you should review the trade desciptions act? (and no, i really dont want to be 'that guy'..but..)
To be honest i've noticed that after updating the game, and all the ships, the missions that include the original ships (Arie Vissa, Fairmount Sherpa etc) are the ones it seems to have trouble playing. Is it the fact i've updated them?

I do (or rather 'will') appreciate the help. Just got a bit annoyed. You know, if Elbe was free i wouldnt even care but i got my indignant "i've paid for..." head on and..yeah..sorry.

On a lighter note Jumbo Javelin is a hoot  :thumbs: so thanks for that

x

mvsmith

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 20:58:45 »

Hi khattab,

I certainly agree with you that the forum does appear to be a mess. A principle reason being the tolerance for off-topic, often inane posts on those boards where people are looking for help.
I consider that behavior inexcusably rude and a great disservice to those seeking help. Ironically some of the more egregious perpetrators are also those who insist that I give a Big Howdy before, or perhaps in lieu of, giving help.

That the same question is asked repeatedly is usually not because the answer is not available. For someone to find that answer requires a cooperative effort on the part of both the seeker and the moderators.
The moderators need to put the answer somewhere easily accessible to others. Hopefully it will be a place free of irrelevant material that might hide the pearls of wisdom.
The seekers need to avail themselves of any aids provided to help them find answers. They need to state their problem as clearly as possible, giving as much pertinent information as they can.

These things are often not easily accomplished by either the moderators or the seekers. It is made even more difficult by the interference of others.
Efforts are underway to improve the situation, often in the face of opposition from those who resent what they consider “over moderating”, or who cherish their right to defecate wherever they please.

Bad as it may seem now, it could get much worse with the release of Extremes unless the swamp is drained first.

I agree that the list of required ships for a mission could be displayed more prominently. This is done to a greater degree on the Creator’s Forum. I recognize that saying New Horizons is required might not tell you much if you are not familiar with the content of New Horizons. But the Shipyard does warn that NH is required for many of the missions, and the notes presented during the installation give more details of the requirements for each mission. Still, it could perhaps be done better.

It might help to remember that, in order to play a mission, you must have every ship used in that mission installed on your computer. This includes not just the player ships, but every static and AI ship. There may be over a dozen different ships in a mission.
If the only available ships were in either the basic SS 2008 or in the New Horizons add-on, things would be simpler. However there are additional ships available singly, such as Elbe, Furie, Javelin, and now the many converted or enhanced ships in the pack. It is a mess.

We will provide a complete list of all ships needed in a specific pack mission if you ask on the Missions board giving the exact mission name and the pack name. We will also put such information, as we develop it, in topics having the mission and pack names as the topic title so that they can be found via search.

The best I have to offer is that we will do our best to provide answers to all questions that are asked in a way that allows us to understand what is wanted. We will also do our best to make the answers available to others who are willing to make the effort to find them.

Regards,
Marty
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines