Hello Guest September 20, 2024, 05:13:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom mission - Visit - error  (Read 2605 times)

metman

• Forum member
Custom mission - Visit - error
« on: February 15, 2010, 11:14:54 »

Hello all,

I am trying to get a Ship Simulator 2008 Collectors Edition custom mission called - visit (Titanic) - working but it will initialise to 100% and then it will crash to the desktop saying, "questviewer.exe has stopped working", all the other missions run fine except for this one.

Am running Windows 7, Core Duo E8600, 3gb RAM, Nvidia GTX260 graphics card - so the spec of my machine should be more then enough to run this mission.

I have run the game as Administrator but keeps crashing.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening or are other people having the same problem?

Thanks.  ;D

TJK

Re: Custom mission - Visit - error
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 11:41:06 »

HI and welcome to the forum
It would help us to help you if you could post your DxDiag here. It does not show any personal information about you or your computer. All it shows is basic information about your processor, graphics card, Direct X, drivers and codecs.

Your dxdiag can be obtained by following these instructions:

Click Start > Run. type in dxdiag and press Enter.  You may see a popup asking about WHQL drivers, click Yes/Ok to proceed.

In the window that appears, click the button that says Save All Information, when the Save Dialog box appears, save the file to your desktop.  To upload the file here, click Additional Options underneath the reply area and choose Browse near Attach.  Browse to your desktop, click the file and click Open.

*  Windows Vista users need to press the Windows Key + R to access the Run prompt.

You can then post your reply with the file attached.

you can right click on the shipsim icon, click on compatibility mindus window xp sp3r and mark run as administrator and
See if that help
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 11:46:51 by TJK »

mvsmith

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 13:30:39 »

Hi metman,

First, you should register your serial key in your profile so that you can access the Technical support and Missions boards. Help on anything but the Demo can’t be given here.

The place to ask for help on missions is on the Ship Simulator 2008 > Missions board.
You need to give the exact title of the mission. There are bold blue topics at the top of the Missions board that tell you how to post there. I suggest that you read them all. I also suggest downloading the Missions Manual. It takes some of the mystery out of playing missions.

There is also a bold blue topic on the Technical support board that explains about so-called “QuestViewer crashes”. It tells what additional information you must supply when reporting them.

Trouble in initializing missions can be caused by many things, including too many AI and static ships for your system to handle. You need to supply as much information as possible in order to get help in those cases.

Regards,
Marty

TJK

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 13:35:51 »

Sorry Marty officious that's the first thing
i forgot to look after if he was registered

and to do that go into you profile 
http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php?action=profile

and add you key in the field marked serial key
TJK

metman

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 17:52:39 »

I'm afraid that I don't find this forum very user friendly, in fact it is the most user unfriendly forum I have come across  - like where is the 'mission' board and the 'tech' support??  As regards my error query, the only title I have for it from the 'custom mission' menu is 'visit' but it is Titantic themed mission which is supposed to run only on high spec PCs - which mine is!!

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 18:01:07 »

I believe you can only see the Missions and Tech Support boards after registering your licence key, which Marty mentioned and Tore explained. ;)

mvsmith

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 18:18:00 »

Metman you are not a friendly user. You have not bothered to follow the advice from Tore and myself about registering your license key. Right now, we don’t know if you have a legal copy of Ship Simulator.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 18:24:38 »

Hi metman,
I am sorry you feel the way you do, up to now everyone has actually been trying to help you. If you register your licence key you will be able to access the support boards you wish to see. All you need to do is go into "Profile" and scroll down until you find the place where you can enter your key. If you do not wish to do this then we cannot help you. You will find "Profile" in the centre of the yellow bar at the top of this page.  you will see there that you will be able to access all the relevant boards you need AFTER you register your licence key.
You might like to read the following post which has been available for some considerable time.

http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,23.msg58.html#msg58

Traddles.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 19:55:26 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

metman

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 15:38:20 »

I did enter my licence key, but nothing happened!!!

TJK

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 15:43:57 »

Have you enter bouth keys, keys for shipsimulato 2008 are the important one, new horizon key will not open the forum for you
Tore/TJK

metman

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 16:08:26 »

Just in case some of you have got the wrong impression, I was NOT criticising the people on the forum as being 'unfriendly' but the techie bit of actually trying to get on the forum in the first place!!  So if I have upset someone because they thought I was being personal, then please accept my apologies.

The destructions say that only one 'key' needs to be entered to gain access.  This I did, twice.  As stated in my first post I have SS08 Collectors Edition which I would've have thought would have allowed me entry.  I'm a stubborn old son of a bitch, but I do wonder how many other people have not been able to gain access when they have followed the instructions and decided to give up and go away - a loss to any forum!!  I have been/am a member of a number of forums which have much simpler/easier means of access/joining so I speak from experience when I say that from the TECHNICAL point of view this forum is not user friendly. 

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 16:33:20 »

Hi metman,
If it is any consolation to you, I cannot load this mission either. It is the first time I have had this problem, and I am involved with the Pro version which has given me no trouble at all. All I get is a white screen when it tries to load. In a case like this it is best to forget that particular mission, there are many more to choose from. The mission intro. does warn that it might not play on low spec. computers, but as I have said I have never had this problem before. I attach my DxDiag so you can see my computer specs.  Perhaps I should add that SS2008 is not guaranteed to run on Windows 7, only XP or Vista. That said, many players DO run the game on Windows 7. seemingly without problems.  Have you been able to access the Technical Support Board as yet? That is where you can find people with better computer knowledge than I have.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 16:38:53 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

mvsmith

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 16:58:13 »

Hi Angus,

This mission has a large amount of AI (39), which will prevent it from initializing on many systems.
I tried it on three different systems, two W7 and one Vista, and it failed to start on any of them.
Common symptoms of excessive AI:
1. Computer hangs during initialization.
2. QuestViewer (the simulator main program) aborts without details.
3. QV aborts and reports newton.dll as the fault module.

It has little to do with whether the system is “high spec”, in fact faster systems are more vulnerable because the higher frame rate means that the AI logic runs more often.
The safe limit for AI ships is 20 or less and depends upon the numbers and complexity of the paths and upon the total number of ships (player, static, and AI).

Regards,
Marty

I reduced the number of AI ships by half and the mission ran without problems on a Vista system.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 17:10:06 by mvsmith »

TJK

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 17:03:36 »

HI Marty

i deleted all AI and the AI lines in it, cud not run it in win 7 after that eider
and as you se my pc is not the slowest one
MVH
Tore

metman

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 17:17:52 »

Hooray, I've at last got in!!!  I unregistered and then registered with the SS08 key - for the third time - and it decided to at last play ball.  I don't know what was the matter before, but having worked in computers from standalone PCs to mega mainframes for longer than I care to remember nothing surprises me about the darn things any more!!!

Anyway, thanks for your help on the 'visit' mission, greatly appreciated - glad to know that it isn't me - for once!!!

Regards to all

metman
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines