Hello Guest September 20, 2024, 09:45:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compilation of Super Packs into an easy plug n' play installer  (Read 917 times)

Royern

• Forum member

Hi

Would it be an idea to make a easy installer that did install all the Super Packs for you all at once? It's not easy for all people to add these ones manually, and there is this nag pop-up saying there is allready a shipsim 2008 folder, would you like to install it anyway? .

In my point of view that is a question that just confuses people. There should be possible to have the software scanning for the target directory without any confusing questions before install. After each Super Pack add-on there should be a file that updated your game with the latest ships regardless how many you have installed prior to the plug n' play routine.

That said, i will thank the creators of the Super Packs for the great work they do. It's really cool with the updated ships and the new ships. Thank you all for the work you do for free.   :captain:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 00:17:47 by Royern »
The Ancient Mariner

Dave M

• Global Moderator
Re: Compilation of Super Packs into an easy plug n' play installer
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 02:10:56 »

Hi Royern,
How much easier do you want it to get?
The annoying pop ups are from Windows and it is telling you that the folder already exists, all you have to do is confirm.
When you construct a loader then you have to cater for all possibilities, if you don't then there could be real problems.
Would you prefer that the question people were asked was, This folder does not exist, I will create it in "My Documents", or the other option would be 'Browse' to a folder of your choice, which would mean that it wouldn't work, or, just create a folder in whatever hard-drive that is currently running and what ever folder is current, (remember, not everyone has SS08 installed on their C: drive.
There may be a work around, but.....
Please remember that all of the contents of the super packs and the downloader were created by members of the forum, as you have said.
That said, i will thank the creators of the Super Packs for the great work they do. It's really cool with the updated ships and the new ships. Thank you all for the work you do for free.   :captain:
Edit;Browse

Regards, Dave
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 02:15:43 by Dave M »
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950  @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz

John Carter

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 12:37:49 »

i just want to have the thought "install add-ons" & hey presto, in 5 nano seconds its installed & working on my pc.
Bad Boy BFC

TJK

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 14:55:01 »

HI Dave

some of us norwegians are weary lazy, wee will have microsoft to install windows and so, v-step install the game and all add ones for us, that more easy, and if they have some left over time they even can play the game for us to :doh:
TJK
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 14:58:28 by TJK »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines