Hello Guest September 20, 2024, 05:04:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are there any suitable alternatives for an in-game joystick/controller?  (Read 3558 times)

jbranscum

• Forum member

I sure like the look of that ship console but unfortunately its out of my budget.  What does everyone else?  Joysticks or what?  Links would be awesome.  Thanks.

saltydog

• Forum member

I use a Saitek X52 Pro, it suits me fine..
They make lots of controllers..Here's their site: http://www.saitek.com/

matt5674

I think the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick can be a good use. You must assign the keys for the second key assigns to get it to work. It might crash the game for some ships like the Agile Solution. But it is like the Red Jet's right hand jet. EDIT: Site of the Logitech Controller Joystick:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/joysticks/devices/291&cl=us,en
Many types of the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 04:22:51 by matt5674 »

madmex

• Forum member

am using the Extreme 3D PRO and its work perfect for me.

McGherkin

• Forum member

Logitech Driving Force Pro. Every time. You can pick one up for £50, it's got plenty of buttons, and of course pedals, and the wheel spins 900 degrees as opposed to the standard 180 degrees, plus it works great on console games, with feedback better than any wheel I've used. Plus there's a sequential gearstick to the side, which doubles up as a handy throttle. I RECOMMEND THIS WHEEL OVER ANY DEVICE, EVEN THE SHIP CONTROL UNIT!

http://www.google.co.uk/m/products/catalog?oe=UTF-8&client=safari&q=logitech+driving+force+pro&hl=en&cid=8854795605337838757&source=search&channel=products&resnum=1&ei=dUBdS_jSAcePjAe8iPryAQ&sa=X&oi=product_result&ct=res&cd=1

I'll post a picture of my setup when I get home from school.

I've never had a problem with the wheel, occasionally it fails to calibrate, but unplug everything, plug it all back in and it should work. But that's rare. I've never had any compatability issues with SS.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 08:07:37 by McGherkin »
Almost never here, try here.

Captain. Mitch

• Forum member

That's an very good stering wheel! But i think it's not for the ship simulations, or flight.

But it's absolutly the best thing for car simulation games like Gran Turismo, test Drive Unlimited, Forumla and other games like these, but it's a litle bit expensive somvhere about 250-300 euros.

Bye!

McGherkin

• Forum member

Well, it's as close to a ship's wheel as you're going to get, and I don't use it for flight sims.

Where are you looking that they cost €300?  If you look at the link I posted, you can see the price is £51, which is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than another wheel of similar spec.

And seeing as jbramscum is looking for a cheaper replacement for the ship control unit, this is much better than a joystick, and I don't think he wants to play flight sims.

I don't see why 90% of the forum aren't using this yet, there is no reason why they shouldn't...
Almost never here, try here.

TJK

HI
I use mouse and keyboard that work perfect to me, but if you shall have a joystick i think the Forceâ„¢ 3D Pro from logitech are a god one www.logitech.com
and this from saitek will also work with shipsim http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/x52.htm
BTW i use this keyboard Logiteck G19 Keyboard for Gaming
and this mouse MXâ„¢518 Optical Gaming Mouse
and this works fine for me

TJK
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 12:28:32 by TJK »

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator

Hi
Same here mouse keyboard all the time never found the need for fancy controllers
2many buttons  :doh:
                                                                                           Eric

Ballast

• Global Moderator

I use a Logitech wingman cordless

Most of the time i sail with the Bugsier 2. This is my set up for her;

Slider for the throttle and the thumbsticks for each azipod. No need to set the throttle separately for the main engines, you just turn the azipod around  :doh:

When i sail with a conventional vessel, i use the slider for the main engine and the rudder on one of the thumbsticks.

I think everyone has his own idea about the set up, you should choose whatever you are comfortable with  :)
It's the crew that makes the difference

TJK

Hi
Same here mouse keyboard all the time never found the need for fancy controllers
2many buttons  :doh:
                                                                                           Eric

HAHA Eric, they are a bit confused all the button and then we most remember watt was to watt  :doh:,
 no keyboard and mouse are easier for us "old timers"  :lol: I think that are the draw back now wee start on the second youth  ;D  :2thumbs: :captain:
Tore

Bottman

• Global Moderator

Here is my low budget version. It works fine, even with the Pro version which I can use for testing means.
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

Ballast

• Global Moderator

HAHA Eric, they are a bit confused all the button and then we most remember watt was to watt  :doh:,
 no keyboard and mouse are easier for us "old timers"  :lol: I think
that are the draw back now wee start on the second youth  ;D  :2thumbs: :captain:
Tore

Perhaps you need an oldskool controller TJK  ;D

:doh:
It's the crew that makes the difference

TJK

LOL don't think so i stick to keyboard  :lol: but semes god do :doh:
Tore

jbranscum

• Forum member

Thanks for the responses guys

I like the X52.. but then how do you run the throttles separately?  Just switch to keyboard in that case?

TJK

HI
It's a big work, but go into the game, option and controller, double clik on that you will have and and click on the buttons on the controllers to assign it to that button you will use, see in the shipsim user manual

saltydog

• Forum member

I like the X52.. but then how do you run the throttles separately?  Just switch to keyboard in that case?

Yes, in my case I use the keyboard to run the seperate throttles, as my controller (X52) has only one throttle..
There are joysticks with dual throttles, and also Saiteks newest model has dual throttle (X65)

pigdog

• Forum member
[img width=585 height=150http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9431/panddax5.png]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines