Hello Guest September 16, 2024, 20:46:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

What game is better?

Ship Simulator 2008
- 26 (89.7%)
Ship Simulator 2006
- 3 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: SS2008 V.S. SS2006  (Read 6824 times)

ChrisCrash

• Forum member
Re: SS2008 V.S. SS2006
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2009, 03:36:05 »

The game patches are mostly causing new problems with missions than resolving the existing ones.  The tech. & mission support here is free, every mission that was officially recognized as broken has a fixed version - somewhere here or on Creator's Forum (joining which takes less than 1 minute!) for again free download.
One only have to search for answer if one really wants it to be answered.
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,13994.0.html

But of course, I do realize that the laziness is the humankind's main enemy...

Did you even bother to read my post?  You're right about laziness.  I've already wasted hours of my time on a DEFECTIVE, unsupported product!  I'll never get that time back. My TIME is not free, nor was the software....that is clearly defective.  Sheesh!  What's wrong with you peeps?  Are you all Vstep sock-puppets?

mvsmith

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2009, 03:48:59 »

Hi Chris,
I agree with your assessment to some degree; not so far as “crapola”, which is a rather dated expression.

As for what other problems await you: You most let the lotus flower unfold itself petal-by-petal.

If you read the bold blue topics you could avoid a lot of frustration attempting to play missions that are posted as flawed, and for which corrected versions are available.
Many corrections are on the Creators Forum, a quasi-official arm of VSTEP, and free to all who bother to register.

In case it has not penetrated, this forum and the CF are run by and for users who volunteer their time to solve problems (often the same questions are asked over and over by … never mind), construct missions, test missions submitted for approval, improve ship dynamics and controls, and write manuals and tutorials that some have better things to do than read.

When you trash SS, you are trashing the efforts of many unpaid members of this forum. You are not reaching VSTEP.

Most of the missions that you claim you paid for are missions created by members, and are included in releases as-is for the enjoyment of others.

You are not the first to come on this forum with no understanding of what is involved in producing and maintaining a program like SS. Others have come before, made themselves obnoxious for a while, and disappeared, to the relief of most on the forum.
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,16532.msg217244.html#msg217244
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 04:47:05 by mvsmith »

ChrisCrash

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2009, 06:47:05 »

Marty:  You will have to explain this "culture" better to me.  This product I paid for is defective.  I have not downloaded anything FREE.  If you enthusiasts want to offer free stuff, that's your business. I just want what I paid for to work. Is that too much to ask??? I just ran into yet another mission (Bunker towage in Rotterdam) that is also crap (is that better than "crapola"?  Jeezus man, get a life!).  And, I went to the trouble (once again) and searched this forum for an answer.  What I found was not a solution that I can live with.  In fact, the "fixed" mission is no longer available according to one response (Twaddles).  That's 3 missions out of 23 (so far) that are full of bugs.  That is not what I paid for.  That is certainly a legitimate complaint. If not lodged here...a forum on the Vstep site, then where?  This is THE VSTEP site, not yours!

The thread author asked for differences.  Well here's a BIG one:  2006 worked.  2008 doesn't.

I also do not understand why people would "volunteer" such enormous amounts of time & effort to fix Vstep's errors, and then take it personally when yet one more disappointed customer comes here with problems everyone here is apparently already aware of.  Then you treat them like they're idiots? WTF???  It is no wonder they leave and not come back.  And, this result is apparently what you prefer?  How does that attitude support your precious game?  Do you think that Vstep will invest more money for your little club here, or do they need more prospects for the future to build something that actually works?

If you don't think that Vstep personnel read these posts, then you are naive indeed.  They SHOULD.  They should also step up to the plate and fix their terrible programming with a patch.  That is the standard of the industry. Is this the only game you have ever bought/played?  They should NOT depend on their loyal niche market customers to fix their defective product.  They have known of these defects for years. They have not done anything to fix them. Why you don't get this simple point is beyond my comprehension. Seek counseling immediately.

This product is deplorable.  PERIOD.  The after-sale support is deplorable. Vstep should be ashamed. And many of you here in this so-called forum are thin-skinned muppets...part of a very small club that unknowingly marches to Vstep's drums. Very unhealthy for you and for ShipSim's future.

If there was some way to get my money back tonight, I'd be pounding on the counter right now.

mvsmith

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2009, 09:13:01 »

Why are you talking to me? Why don’t you talk to VSTEP? There is nothing further I can do for you since you have already made up your mind.

My opinion, is that you got in over your head with a game that you are not equipped to handle; certainly not emotionally, and perhaps not intellectually judging by your demonstrated inability to comprehend what you read.
Your rant against the game is an effort to justify your own shortcomings. Your behavior is bordering on the psychotic.

Your treatment of people who try to help you is deplorable. Calling Angus “Twaddles” is an example of the contempt that you seem to feel for all of us on the forum. Angus is a Master Mariner; something you only aspire to in your dreams.

If you have a complaint, take the matter up with VSTEP. Stop inflicting your boring and boorish litany on forum members whom you have alienated to the point where I doubt that they care.
The one humorous element is your idea that I am VSTEP’s “sock puppet”. I seriously doubt that VSTEP consider me their toady.
The fact is that I am on this forum to help members who genuinely want to be helped, particularly in the area of missions where I feel some responsibility, having written the tutorial and manual. Beyond that, I really don’t give a damn about VSTEP’s fortunes.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 09:32:11 by mvsmith »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2009, 11:35:38 »

I also do not understand why people would "volunteer" such enormous amounts of time & effort to fix Vstep's errors, and
I was once one of those such volunteers. But having to deal with tossers like you all the time without being allowed to call you a tosser publically meant I resigned my position of official volunteer so that I could once again be a normal member and call you a tosser publically.

Perhaps, Flashcrash that you should ask yourself why everyone else here basically uses and enjoys the project and you are the only one this month to be officially classes as 'tosser'.

Why do you not launch a litigation petition (either against the retailer in your country or against Vstep in Netherlands) and see where you get. I myself, like everyone here, has minor issues with the game. It is a game; it is not a training system as with the Pro version.

No one here is a sock-puppet to Vstep (search some posts and you'll see that). Your problem is A)you B)you C)still you. I forget how many copies of SS08 have been sold (100,000s) but I don't see everyone here acting like you are.

So, tosser, calm down or sod off.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2009, 12:19:19 »

Did you even bother to read my post?  You're right about laziness.  I've already wasted hours of my time on a DEFECTIVE, unsupported product!  I'll never get that time back. My TIME is not free, nor was the software....that is clearly defective.  Sheesh!  What's wrong with you peeps?  Are you all Vstep sock-puppets?

Is there ever any game which is not free of bugs/glitches? Actually I once had a LucasArts game that had a couple of  bugs. As it was a Playstation 2 platform, I was stuck with the defective game.

Unsupported product? What about all these SS2008 updates/patches which were provided free by Vstep?

Frankly I think you are bang out of order here. Vstep could have easily shrug their shoulders and say "it's not our problem", but they did not and have always endeavour to fix whatever problems had come up. They also could have charged us for the privilege of downloading patches to fix the bugs but they did not. For that I am very grateful to Vstep.
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2009, 12:57:07 »

In fairness to crashbang, he has on several occasions tried to calm down and act rationally. Perhaps once he's had time to think (!) that he might realise that he has the wrong end of the wrong stick.

It is an incremental arguement; each response from both sides has been slightly inflamed and then this has escalated matters... Trust me, I'm an expert in this!
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

mvsmith

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2009, 14:46:41 »

The plethora of insipid polls is a magnet to draw such ranters out of the woodwork.

mvsmith

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2009, 14:51:33 »

I was once one of those such volunteers. But having to deal with tossers like you all the time without being allowed to call you a tosser publically meant I resigned my position of official volunteer so that I could once again be a normal member and call you a tosser publically.

Yeah; what he said.

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2009, 14:53:37 »

The plethora of insipid polls is a magnet to draw such ranters out of the woodwork.

I'll go get some beer...   Each such topic gets enough interesting to read when "clowns are coming out of nowhere & treat VSTEP with financial crash".

http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,13456.msg165066.html#msg165066
keep it gnarly

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2009, 17:46:33 »

I'll go get some beer...

Get me one too!
I happen to think that SS08 is brilliant for what it costs, and SSPro V2 is value for money too (easy to say that when you don't have it)
I have no doubt that SSPro has a hundred times more accuracy than SS08, but that's why it costs so much. Whilst I don't like the fact that ships don't turn properly without power applied, I understand that it's because i'm not willing to fork out for the full experience. I think i'm seeing more and more people these days who buy the affordable game and expect it to be as good as the less affordable professional training simulator.

EDIT: typo.
Almost never here, try here.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2009, 18:19:57 »

I don't know where you get the idea that ships don't turn properly without propulsion..
Try this: get the Latitude up to 13kn with 0 rot (rate of turn), turn off the engines and steer hard strb..
You will see she then still turns about 13 degrees, then it declines of course..
I think ships are behaving quite realistically..

firestar12

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2009, 18:50:55 »

In my opinion, there isn't really a "better version". Each one has advantages. (Yes, SS06 can be better than 08 in some ways). I like SS08's Graphics, but for me, SS06 is good too because of the lower hardware specs, and I like SS06's "bright" atmosphere. I also like SS06's water, something about it looks really cool. SS06 also runs better on my machine. I could never really pick a favorite. :)

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2009, 19:04:36 »

Wow, where do you live with many jetboats? I read on the first page that you happen to know allot about boats with jet Propulsion :P

Thanks TJK!
Intel Core i7 930@ 2.8GHz, 12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, Asus P6X58D-E, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2 Win

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2009, 22:08:55 »

Wow, where do you live with many jetboats? I read on the first page that you happen to know allot about boats with jet Propulsion :P

Who me?

I've done quite a bit time in Jet Tenders, mainly Williams ones.
Almost never here, try here.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines