Hello Guest June 16, 2024, 00:16:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting new ship type  (Read 1483 times)

steveboston

• Forum member
Interesting new ship type
« on: October 10, 2009, 22:22:29 »

Has anyone else seen this?
About a week ago I caught part of a program on telly about ship design and the reason for bulbous bows and so forth. Then they showed a drawing and a short film (might have been clever CGI though) showing a Sherpa-like job with a very 'blunt' bow of unusual shape.
It looked very rounded in cross section and plan view and in cross section it tapered with height - that is it looked about the shape of a light bulb minus the top brass part (I am more flyer than sailor but I think it is called tumblehome?). Sorry I ain't got no pictures. They were saying how fuel efficient it was. Oddly enough the waterline shape was much like an aerodynamic streamline shape (round front and tapered rear) rather than the usual 'opposite' waterline standard ship shape. (Most ships at the waterline look to me like transonic aerofoils and of course also give off bow, mid and stern waves like transonic shock waves - hmmm!)
Somewhere over the rainbow,
weigh a pie.

saltydog

• Forum member
Re: Interesting new ship type
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 22:30:07 »

Do you mean this ? I may have seen the same docu..
It's called the Ulstein X-bow..
Here the Bourbon Orca.. :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 22:32:17 by saltydog »

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 22:38:33 »

The idea behind this shape of bow would appear to be that unlike a "normal" bow which throws the waves outwards, thus slowing down the progress of the ship, this one does not do so. The waves merely slide past the  hull without severely slowing the ship down. The rougher the sea, the better this effect operates.

Angus.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 22:42:07 »

I think I saw this too!

It had a part which explained the x-bow, etc.

Excuse me if you're talking about something else!!
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 02:04:14 »

That looks cool actually, futuristic.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 02:10:56 »

Check out their nice site.. :)

http://ulsteinlab.com/

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 02:14:33 »

X Bor ships have a bow that looks like the Beak from the froot loops bird  :doh:

Thanks TJK!
Intel Core i7 930@ 2.8GHz, 12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, Asus P6X58D-E, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2 Win

steveboston

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 12:58:17 »

Yep thats it - I remember the name X bow. It seems to be all wrong for a heavy sea where a traditional bow has more volume and therfore bouyancy the deeper it is plunged into the sea; must work OK though.
Somewhere over the rainbow,
weigh a pie.

laganviking

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 13:44:58 »

Seemed only for supply ships etc - no ferries as of yet  :P though it will be interesting to see if any go into production.
LV SHIPYARDS - Whatever you want, whatever you like, whatever you say, you pay your money, you take your choice  :lol: :2thumbs: :captain: !:)

Jeff123

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 21:11:24 »

That is an interesting ship type, Now if they had one on Ship Simulator 2008!  ;D Also, Irishjack, I may need your towing service sooner or later, hopefully later, but you never know, EXPECIALLY with White Star Line's soon to come ship. It runs on a new type of gas for Ship simulator 2008, TOP SECRET  :-X can't tell too much about it, but I may need you there for the testing, if all goes well, maybe not as much, 1 gallon of the new fuel/gas should take the ship 120 miles, AND AT FULL SPEED IT SHOULD GO 900 MILES!!!  ;D WHOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (WHOO HOO!=YAY!) Please contact me at jeffhendrie@hotmail.com. Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 21:14:11 by Jeff123 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines