Hello Guest September 08, 2024, 02:04:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: running shipsim on an iMac  (Read 3477 times)

fordprefect

• Forum member
running shipsim on an iMac
« on: September 02, 2009, 16:34:19 »

Does anyone know if it is possible to run shipsim on an iMac using the Parallels programe.?

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
Re: running shipsim on an iMac
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 16:39:56 »

Hi Fordperfect, and welcome to the forum.  :)

Shipsim can be run - but not guaranteed to be perfect - on Macs that can run windows XP under bootcamp!

Regards,
Fred

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 20:21:40 »

It should run under parallels, or VMWare. I haven't tried it myself.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 21:14:56 »

Please define...  'should'   :)

Is that... "Yes it does, I know people who run it like that!"
Or "Theoretically....it should... I think.."  ?

;D

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 22:19:21 »

Should means I am not guaranteeing anything.

Pretty much an exact copy of what you just said, lol.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 22:21:36 »

So what you really are saying is...  "I don't know... I guess so!"  :doh:

Not a véry helpful answer to this particular question then...  :P

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 22:26:32 »

Yes, I am trying to save up for a copy of XP to run on bootcamp, or parallels.

But I am still in debt from buying this silly mac. I would like to see how Ship Sim runs on it, other games are SO fast.

4GB of RAM
2.6Ghz Intel Duo
NVIDIA 9400M

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 22:33:08 »

Well.. if you see a clear difference between games on your pc and your mac, then that mac might have more muscle! I expect that to run Shipsim better too..  :thumbs:

But it's just a machine in the end.. there's always better.. right up to the point where the game is on 100% max and just won't get any better no matter how much power you have.....  doesn't matter what the brand. It's not magic, it's just down to specs.  ;D

I liked macs for sounds engineering and graphical stuff.. but never was impressed with the incompatible nature of just about everything else I was used to do.. plus my pc was much better anyway.  :P

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 23:08:28 »

Yeah I am kinda sad it doesn't have as many games, since I payed allot to get some nice hardware, but w/e.

G8tr

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 03:14:24 »

I'm running SS2008 on a 200G BootCamp partition of my MacBook Pro (2.8 GHZ, 4G  RAM, Vista Ultimate 64). The performance is great. I stayed away from VM or Parallel because I heard stories of lesser performance for demanding graphic programs. I hear that the new Snow Leopard OS may help mitigate some of the performance problems with VM/Parallels because it will be 64 bit and you can apply all the RAM to the app. I also run MS FlightSim X on my BootCamp with pleasing results.

fordprefect

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 07:08:53 »

Thank you all for your replies. The main problem appears to lie with the graphics. Shortly after startup the graphics for the various menues turns to blocks and is unreadable. Any suggestions?

dudwasup

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 22:33:59 »

in my opinion why would you run such crappy software(windows) on a machine with such great software(mac osx snow leopard)

thanks to tjk

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 23:05:47 »

Ohh NOW your asking for it  >:( Wheres all of my PC people to back me up ::)

Thanks TJK!
Intel Core i7 930@ 2.8GHz, 12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, Asus P6X58D-E, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2 Win

laganviking

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 23:40:51 »

Thats just his opinion Matt ;)

Nothing to worry about  :thumbs:
LV SHIPYARDS - Whatever you want, whatever you like, whatever you say, you pay your money, you take your choice  :lol: :2thumbs: :captain: !:)

fordprefect

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 06:46:36 »

Thank you for the input, however, I still have the original problem. Is there anyone there who can assist,?

TJK

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2009, 07:25:22 »

I was curios about Mac and shipsim so i bay one, but ss cud run in mack if it have an Intel CPU and win xp, but not good poor gaming so i deleted it and say PC is the best for ss, but mac are best if you shod us it to make graphic, photo edit and all that kind of stuff. i don't think the mac is for gaming att all
So i will say for Ship Sim the are only one to play it on and that are on a PC, that's my option do
Tore
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 07:27:45 by TJK »

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 21:06:48 »

What he said ::) To sum it up PC's are better :doh:

It really depends on what your using it for ;)

Thanks TJK!
Intel Core i7 930@ 2.8GHz, 12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, Asus P6X58D-E, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2 Win

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2009, 21:59:33 »

TerryRussell

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2009, 22:05:35 »

PC's are better :doh:

Yep, I'll go with that.

For any Mac Freaks, just remember that MACs were so unpopular that Apple went bankrupt a few years ago. It was only that Microsoft needed the illusion of some competition and put their hands in their pockets to save Apple that it exists today.  ;)

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2009, 01:16:17 »

Yep, I'll go with that.

For any Mac Freaks, just remember that MACs were so unpopular that Apple went bankrupt a few years ago. It was only that Microsoft needed the illusion of some competition and put their hands in their pockets to save Apple that it exists today.  ;)

Actually, apple makes things people want. The IPod is what brought apple back into the game.

TJK

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2009, 05:04:06 »

Actually, apple makes things people want. The IPod is what brought apple back into the game.

Austin, watt have IPod to do with the iMack computer, i will say nothing, IPod are not a computer only a music saver and player,and bout com from Apple that's it. cos i can have wrong, i have a IPod and can fill it with music from my PC to
but i found out the imac are weary good for graphic, picture and movie editing but thats all
Tore TJK
here you are Matt ;D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 05:09:23 by TJK »

TerryRussell

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2009, 11:07:40 »

Not enough people wanted MACs, though. That was why they almost went bust, wasn't it?

iPods do seem to have perked their fortunes up a lot, though. And MACs do seem to be tottering back away from oblivion now.

But then, Microsoft have been seeming to try to damage themselves with Vista and Office 2007, don't they? With that for competition, it's no wonder that MACs sell better.  ;D

TJK

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2009, 11:17:31 »

Not enough people wanted MACs, though. That was why they almost went bust, wasn't it?

iPods do seem to have perked their fortunes up a lot, though. And MACs do seem to be tottering back away from oblivion now.

But then, Microsoft have been seeming to try to damage themselves with Vista and Office 2007, don't they? With that for competition, it's no wonder that MACs sell better.  ;D
Right terry

Mac vs pc is like linux vs pc
you love it or hate it, but the pc will alvise win with ordenery users, mac and linux are for spesial interested peoples and linux are for nerds  :o thid i say that :doh:

TerryRussell

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2009, 11:38:18 »

Right terry

Mac vs pc is like linux vs pc
you love it or hate it, but the pc will alvise win with ordenery users, mac and linux are for spesial interested peoples and linux are for nerds  :o thid i say that :doh:

As an advanced nerd, I have been using Unix for many, many years...  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines