Hello Guest September 08, 2024, 00:52:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where?  (Read 3366 times)

Saphire

• Forum member
Where?
« on: November 04, 2007, 17:18:46 »

Is there any where  in marsellies [sorry about bad spelling] and the solent where the lattitude can float next to a dock, alll the place I try it runs aground and sinks. 

Teamspeak member!

Bottman

• Global Moderator
Re: Where?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 17:25:47 »

That's really a problem and the same with the VERMAAS. Hopefully we get them some times in light weight conditions to reach more harbours than now.

Cheers
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

metalfork

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 18:53:20 »

Hello there...
I think having a light weight version of these ships is a quite unrealistic thing! Only time where they are light weight is when they sail back after unloading their cargo! but they have to reach the harbor loaded!
Thats why they build so long docks which reach up to the deeper waters for those ships to moor!
And/Or they dig out the riverbed!
So in my opinion its just realistic that you get problems with finding a mooring place for these large vessels!
And for me its ok because ShipSim is an simulation and simulations usually follow real life rules! ;)
anyway...
Cheers...Jonny

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 17:42:52 »

Here in Antwerp, there are cranes on a floating pontoon. Who can be pulled by tugs on the river to afload a bulkship on inland ships. Then the draft gets smaller and the ship can go futher on the river.

I think it would be realistic, making the draft a bit smaller.

Alex201

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 20:27:54 »

Hello there...
I think having a light weight version of these ships is a quite unrealistic thing! Only time where they are light weight is when they sail back after unloading their cargo! but they have to reach the harbor loaded!
Thats why they build so long docks which reach up to the deeper waters for those ships to moor!
So in my opinion its just realistic that you get problems with finding a mooring place for these large vessels!
And for me its ok because ShipSim is an simulation and simulations usually follow real life rules! ;)
anyway...
Cheers...Jonny

Why are light versions unrealistic? When a tankers drops off oil. It wouldn't take any oil back, they sail back in ballast. In my opinion it is very normal. Having more drift because you catch more wind etc. Only the wind doesnt effect the ships in shipsim. A full vlcc has a draft of about 22 meters.

metalfork

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 22:33:40 »

yeah...you´re right alex...forgot about that.
But i meant the question of going into smaller harbors with less water depth on a ship that has a draft from about 20 m! these small port are not build for those big vessels....that´s why they build new and deeper ports all over the world!
Even if you sail back with less weight you enter the port loaded and you need the deep waters for arrival!
so in my opinion we should not ask just for a light weight version of big vessels but rather ask VSTEP to create some more deep water ports!!!
Or a mission where all that is concerned! like go to port (be careful with your high weight), leave your cargo there and go back again (where you have to be careful because your vessel is now reacting different because of the lighter weight)! something like that would be great!
Cheers... Jonny

Alex201

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 23:20:41 »

I know some spots where those's vlcc's goes in rotterdam, but yeah, what's a vlcc doing in marseilles  ;D
I haven't really sorted out yet where they go in New York and San Francisco, does anyone knows that?

Would be really nice to load your vessel in any way you want it, but that's probably something far into the future :)

Brinch

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 02:30:23 »

Hello there...
anyway...
Cheers...Jonny

It's actually quite normal for ships to run with a partial load. For instance, the port closest to where I live is quite shallow (I believe around 12-14 m)but will still receive quite big bulk carriers with coal for a power plant. The normal procedure is to unload a part of the load in a port with greater depth before berthing here.

I've been sailing with Reefer ships, unit loaders and container ships, and it's my experience we have been sailing with lot of different loading conditions, not to mention forward/aft trim.

Cheers
Peter

mvsmith

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 03:41:19 »

This topic concerns ballast control:
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,179.msg861.html#msg861
This would be a better solution than having different versions of the same vessel.

madeofsteel

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 13:09:49 »

This topic concerns ballast control:
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,179.msg861.html#msg861
This would be a better solution than having different versions of the same vessel.

This link doesnt work.

I've seen videos on youtube where the latitude is nearly as much out of the water than the to of its propeller to enter marseille habour.

How can you do this?

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 13:15:00 »

Hi madeofsteel
In the creators forum you will find a download for giving the latitude a smaller draft
thar is how it is done.
                                                                                     Eric
Free missions and add-ons at =>Creators Forum<=
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 13:28:33 by sadsid »

madeofsteel

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 16:09:23 »

Hi madeofsteel
In the creators forum you will find a download for giving the latitude a smaller draft
thar is how it is done.
                                                                                     Eric
Free missions and add-ons at =>Creators Forum<=

well thank you very much for the answer.
Could you please be so kind as to give me the link? I'm afraid I can't find it....

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 16:19:17 »

http://217.45.209.217/cgi-bin/creators/entry.pl

To download add-ons, missions, etc. you need to register.
keep it gnarly

thassos

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 22:18:27 »

To download the reduced draft Latitude and Vermaas frrom the Mission Creators Forum you can log on as a visitor.
Reduced draft ships for The Solent are quite relevant as the depths are wrong in that environment - VLCCs CAN actually reach the Fawley deep water terminal in real life.
The right to speak does not include the right to be taken seriously.

Creator on Creators Forum

Nathan|C

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 18:31:12 »

It is possible to reach Fawley in the game with the standard draft VLCC, it's just very difficult and probably requires an experienced tug to get you there online..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines