Hello Guest September 22, 2024, 09:46:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Harland and Wolff Shipyards - Location of Titanic Construction site  (Read 6731 times)

The Ferry Man

• Forum member

Okay here is a view of Harland and Wolff shipyards, from Google Earth:

Since I know there seems to be a few Titanic Experts here  ;) , Can anyone tell me where the Titanic was built please.

The Ferry Man

Bottman

• Global Moderator

Am I right, there is a Stena HSS in the middle of the picture?
Ooops, off topic :doh:
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

The Ferry Man

• Forum member

Yes, that is the laid up HSS Stena Discovery. (which if you look at closely is very... warped..)

The Ferry Man

• Forum member

Excellent. Thanks for the info and the link, Diamant. Most appreciated.  :2thumbs:  :)

Hudizzle

• Forum member

I made a bit of a crude map overlay of that area, using info from the first volume of "Titanic: The Ship Magnificent."

Here:

The two biggest slips (green outlined areas with the yellow ship shapes) are, of course, where Titanic was built.
For the other colors:
Red: Mould Lofts, Plumbers Shop.
Orange: Mast Shed and joiners shop.
Yellow: Joiners Shop/Machine Shop.
Brown: Offices.
Black/White: Platers' Shed.
Pink: Platers' Shed, Smiths Shop.
Blue: Platers' Shed.

There were a few other buildings, too, and such... But this is just so you can get a picture of what used to be there.
"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is.. Never try." -Homer Simpson-

matt5674

The second big ship spot near Titanic's(above hers) is her sister Olympic's slipway. Titanic's slipway was used to built not only Titanic but the Gigantic(now known as Britannic).

matt5674

With Google Earth 5.0, I used the time slider and this is what I found out of the shipyard:

Check out the dat on the top right.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines