Hello Guest June 15, 2024, 21:00:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backing Pride of Rotterdam?  (Read 1572 times)

Legion

• Forum member
Backing Pride of Rotterdam?
« on: March 20, 2009, 16:25:58 »

Hello all,
  I am new to the game, and am currently working on the missions. I am on the mission where you depart san francisco and cruise to Phi Phi in the Pride of Rotterdam. You start in a small slip and must back out. I have been at full reverse throttle for 23 minutes and am not even half way out of the slip. Is there any other way to back out? There is barely enough room for the ship to fit in the slip, so turning around is not an option.

Thanks in advance,
 Legion

Nathan|C

Re: Backing Pride of Rotterdam?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 16:27:55 »

Hi Legion?

Welcome to the forum!

I've played this mission myself and the Pride has been able to move out of the dock nice and fast going astern. Which version of ShipSim are you running? (You can find this by looking in the bottom left hand corner on the main game menu) Are you sure you have disconnected all of the mooring lines?

Nathan

Legion

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 16:32:47 »

I am using the latest version 1.4.2 I believe it is. Yes all the mooring lines are disconnected. It looks like turning the rudders hard to port is helping a little bit. Im am moving at 3.09 Kn over ground, sure beats the .02 Kn over ground before turning the rudder. I am not really sure why this is increasing my speed, but my rudders are at 45 degrees.

Nathan|C

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 16:34:46 »

This sounds odd, i'll try the mission now and see what happens. The 1.4.2 Pride of Rotterdam dynamics are notorious for being a bit "slow".

Legion

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 16:37:13 »

Well my speed is slowly increasing, but I dont think it should take 30 minutes to reverse out of a slip, that is the length of the ship. It seems turning the rudder was the key, not sure as to why, but I am up to almost 5 Kn over land in reverse.

Nathan|C

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 16:51:59 »

Hi again Legion.

I'm using V1.4.2 also, but I have replaced my Pride of Rotterdam dynamics with the old file from Version 1.4 of the game. These dynamics are much more responsive, and i've just tried this mission out myself. The ship is out of the dock within seconds.

Not sure if this is a problem with the mission or the slowness of the POR dynamics (shouldn't be THAT slow though!), but i'd reccomend you try these dynamics (I've attached them). Just go to

My Computer > Program Files > vstep > ShipSim2008 > Actors > Objects > Pride of Rotterdam and paste this dynamics file into that folder.

Alternatively, you can download an excellent dynamics file for the POR from the creators forum. You can access and register for that here:

http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,12808.0.html (The link to the creators forum is in TerryRussell's signature).

Hope this helps,

Nathan

Legion

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 16:58:41 »

Thanks for that file, I added it into the correct folder, am restarting Ship Sim now, Hopefully it will make it alot less time consuming. I almost quit the mission, but decided I would come here for help first. Thanks again!

Nathan|C

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 17:00:55 »

No problems! Good luck!

mvsmith

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 17:01:34 »

Hi Legion,
When asking questions about a mission, please give the exact title of the mission. Often there are many similar missions.
Also, please ask questions about missions in the Missions section; that is where we look for them, and where others look for answers.
Thank you,
Marty

Legion

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 17:11:22 »

Thanks for the file, it seems to be running a little faster.

MVsmith, sorry I wasnt aware of he missions section. I will take note and start posting in the correct sections in the future.

Nathan|C

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 17:12:11 »

Great! How long does it take now? You should be out in no time.

Captain Darling

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 18:20:25 »

Thanks for the file, it seems to be running a little faster.

MVsmith, sorry I wasnt aware of he missions section. I will take note and start posting in the correct sections in the future.
Try registering your license key in your profile, as you haven't got a SS08 license key registered yet. ;)

When registered the license key you then have access to more boards. ;)
Regards,
James
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines