Hello Guest June 25, 2024, 08:08:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Here Terry (Only for Terry to post in)  (Read 1107 times)

firestar12

Here Terry (Only for Terry to post in)
« on: February 24, 2009, 22:23:57 »

You make sure you have checked you PM first before you say anything!

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
Re: Here Terry (Only for Terry to post in)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 22:28:03 »

why not just put that in a pastebin and give him the link, rather then posting here...

firestar12

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 22:29:05 »

why not just put that in a pastebin and give him the link, rather then posting here...

Ahoy Terry! So have you figured out my question? Anyways, I was wondering what the heck graphics drivers were.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 22:31:19 by Firestar »

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 22:37:39 »

They help to tell your graphics card to do what it does - help display things. Every tried using a graphics card without a driver? Scrolling down things is slow and bad
Sorry I don't know the clever stuff behind it

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 22:44:52 »

In computing, a device driver or software driver is a computer program allowing higher-level computer programs to interact with a hardware device.

firestar12

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 22:46:46 »

So are my graphics drivers ok?

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 22:48:24 »

Why wouldn't they be?

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 22:53:43 »

Your drivers are from the beginning of 2008, I am sure there are updates.

But I can't help you because it is integrated, and I know nothing about integrated graphics cards.

TerryRussell

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 23:46:03 »

I don't make house calls.  ;D

If anyone wants technical support, I insist that it is posted in public so that other members can benefit if they have similar issues.

TerryRussell

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 23:56:51 »

OK.

There are a number of "layers" involved when you run Ship SImulator.

First of all, the game video engine (Questviewer in this case) receives data from all sorts of sources. It has to work out where each corner of each polygon is, in relation to all the others.

Then it sends all of the vector information out through the Windows sub systems.

Those subsystems will then use the various CODECS to compress the data streams and perform some pre-processing work.

The CODECS then pass the data through the video drivers that translate the vector information (and other data) into a format that the card can understand.

Then the card translates all of that and draws your image in a series of layers making up a single image or "frame". Then the frame gets pasted onto the video memory layer and sent to your VDU.

I've simplified this greatly, so forgive all of the ommitted hardware translations and the abstration layering, etc.

Video drivers are a bit old, but those ones should be fine for Ship Simulator. "Newest" doesn't mean "best".

You do have some other issues:

(1)
Your processor is way too slow. No fix.

(2)
Ship Simulator specifications don't allow for Intel video devices. No fix, except install a card (Nvidia recommended).

(3)
A quick improvement you can make, though, is to install a set of CODECS.  Before you do anything, create a system restore point in case any of the CODECs conflicts with any of your programs.

VISTA:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Codec-Packs-Video-Codecs/Advanced-Vista-Codec-Package.shtml

When you get to the download dialogue, tell it to "Open", rather than "save". That will install the CODECs straight away. Just sit back and watch.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 23:58:24 by TerryRussell »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines