Hello Guest September 19, 2024, 02:36:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to the game  (Read 1589 times)

Gowron

• Forum member
New to the game
« on: November 08, 2008, 01:07:16 »

Hello all, i just purchased the game as i have a keen interest in sims and always considered purchasing the game. Forgive me but i am a little disapointed, there are very limited controls for the ships and also it can get very boring, nothing happens for a long time and no way to increase the time compression.

I do not want to offend any lovers of the game and perhaps i am missing something? So any advice on how to get maximun enjoyment would be appreciated.

What is multiplayer like, is there any lets say "co-operative" missions that enhance the experience?

Minime

• Forum member
Re: New to the game
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 01:12:34 »

Hi and welcome to the forum, well multiplayer isn't as fun as it used to be, because it's so hard to find a server with people on it, but sometimes you can find a good server, and there would be tugs to assist the large ships to berth, those kind of sessions are very good, but as I said hard to find

thanks to Tore/TJK for this awesome sig

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 02:31:36 »

Hi Gowron, welcome to the forum.. I find the ship controls not very limited at all, and as good as can be expected.
I don't know if you use a joystick..If not you may want to consider getting one..
Multiplayer is not as busy as it used to be, but there are also many missions you can do in singleplayer to improve your skills.. ;)

TerryRussell

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 08:06:09 »

As we get closer to Christmas, I will set up a new series of MP challenges on my servers again. People seemed to enjoy them last time,

RMSGreatBritain

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 08:24:56 »

Well Welcome to the forum Gowron, Nice to see a new member. I think youve got to learn to be patient with the controls, and if you get bored, just take a walkabout on the ship. The best environments are ports like rotterdam, Hamburg, The solent, New York etc because you have more to do there. Multiplayer is not as good as it was, but if you get the right server it can be fun. Enjoy the game, hope my advice helped,

Kind Regards, RMSGB
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 12:42:21 by RMSGreatBritain »
DiamondEagleDB09rms On youtube! Now with New Playlist!
<br />Thanks to TJK for this awesome Sig!

mvsmith

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 08:55:48 »

Hi Gowron,
I’m sorry that your expectations are other than what Ship Simulator is: A simulation of the navigation and maneuvering of ships.

As for limited controls, the same could be said of a game like GTA that lacks cigarette lighters, defroster buttons, and controls for the rear-view mirrors. Those controls that are relevant to the purpose of the simulator are present.

As for being boring; that is a measure of realism. If you have ever crossed the Pacific and Indian Oceans at 7 – 14 knots in a small ship that had no rock-climbing wall, and not even enough room for shuffleboard, you would appreciate that.

If, after learning to control all the different types of vessels, trying some of the hundred or so missions, and creating missions of your own, you find that you have no interest in this type of simulator, then you have probably made an unwise purchase. Or, perhaps, the very idea of doing those things has no appeal to you.

In either case, you should ask VSTEP to unregister your serial number so that you can sell or give the program to another person or used game shop. As long as you are registered for that copy, no one else will be able to use it.

Regards,
Marty

TerryRussell

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 09:50:16 »

Inherently, vessels don't have an immense number of controls. There may be a lot of buttons for ancilliary functions (radios, radar and so on) but precious few for actual movement. The less they have, the less can go wrong. That's always been a useful maxim when you're 5,000 miles from the nearest set of screwdrivers and spare parts.

I am mindful of some of the smaller vessels I've owned. In some cases, the controls were limited to a twist-grip throttle and the ability to spin the outboard motor through 180 degrees, so as to go in reverse. Some of the outboards (e.g. my 2HP Honda) didn't even have gears or the ability to go into neutral. Just a stop button.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 11:48:07 »

Hi Gowron,
As has been mentioned above, the actual controls needed to "Drive" a ship is tiny. In my early days at sea on the bridge we had the following:- Steering wheel, engine room telegraph, magnetic compass and the ships whistle, nothing else! All these items are present in the game and, in fact even though modern ships have lots of other "distractions" these four basics are still the main requirements, though the gyro compass, auto pilot and direct bridge control of the engine have taken over three of these items, the ships whistle is still there ;).
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Gowron

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 16:26:58 »

Thanks a mill for all your replies. Perhaps i have not given the game much of a chance, im used to playing in flight sims(il-2) and sub sims (silent hunter).

I do hope that the multiplayer regains it interest as that is when the most challenges and fun happens.

Does the game support tracker ir, have had problems trying to get it to work!!!

Hope to see you in the virtual blue soon!!!

TerryRussell

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 16:54:40 »

I guess the main thing to remember is that this is a simulator, not an arcade game.

Happy sailing.

MrFlappy102

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 21:44:05 »

Thanks a mill for all your replies. Perhaps i have not given the game much of a chance, im used to playing in flight sims(il-2) and sub sims (silent hunter).

I do hope that the multiplayer regains it interest as that is when the most challenges and fun happens.

Does the game support tracker ir, have had problems trying to get it to work!!!

Hope to see you in the virtual blue soon!!!

Yeah i know how you feel  ;D I too had trouble adjusting from flight sim too ship sim (Find my post "More control please!") but now that I got used to having less controls I actually have a lot of fun. And if you get bored sometimes it's fun to just run into things and see what kind of damage you can do!  :P BUT DON'T DO IT IN THE MULTIPLAYER SERVERS!!!! This will usually get you kicked off if you do it on purpose. Happy Sailing!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 21:45:50 by MrFlappy102 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines