Hello Guest September 08, 2024, 03:46:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More than one....  (Read 765 times)

steamvintageguy

• Forum member
More than one....
« on: October 20, 2008, 07:44:58 »

LucAtC,
It is not nice of you to answer a post from TitanicExpert "you can't do that!" and then immediately lock the topic. I'm sure many of us here are having the same problem that we wish answered.  For myself, I am new here. 

I at first registered with the name "Captain Ryan" using my HOME email address.  Unfortunately for us here in the USA the internet provider COMCAST blocks responses from VSTEP as a reported spammer.  After you type in your key, VSTEP cannot send a authorisation to a comcast address. 
VSTEP then suggested I use a non-comcast address, so I registered my key using the name "steamvintageguy" and my WORK email address, since "Captain Ryan" was already in use (by me, although I hadn't been allowed to officially register).  Ah, success!
Where I work (a government agency) I can be fired for using my email address for non-work uses.  Once I gained access to the forums, I entered my profile and attempted to change my WORK email address to my HOME email address but surprise!!! someone (Captain Ryan, which is me) already exists using that address!!!!
The ideal solution would be for Comcast to work with VSTEP. BUT since Comcast is refusing to negotiate with VSTEP, the ideal solution would be for VSTEP to delete the "Captain Ryan/HOME email address" profile for me at their end, so I can successfully change my email in my profile at my end the next time I log on.  Understand?
Do you (or any other more helpful Moderator) have a suggestion or solution to this problem?
-- steamvintageguy

Intel E5200 CPU @ 2.50GHz (Dual-Core)
2 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT @ 1680 x 1050 (60Hz)
Display Memory: 1 GB
Viewsonic VX2240 (22") Widescreen

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
Re: More than one....
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 07:53:00 »

I could offer you a free email address on my domain.

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 07:58:45 »

Hi, and welcome on this forum.

We (moderators) are not admin, and can't delete your account. As it is not completely registered, it is not even visible. I don't know how Simple Machines Forum works on this, but probably after a few days, the account creation request will be automatically deleted.

Anyway, if your provider blocks emails from VSTEP, even if your old account was deleted, it would not be a good idea to change for your comcast email. You still would not be able to receive emails.

To my mind, the best solution would be that you create an external email account, like on google mail, which is a great tool, totally free : http://www.gmail.com. Let me add that, an email account linked with an ISP is not a good idea, as you are not sure you'll keep the same provider all your life, while you can keep an external and independant webmail email even if you change your provider.

The problem you mention isn't the responsability of VSTEP, it's the responsability of your provider.

Hope this helps !

regards,

Denis
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 08:00:24 by Denis »

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 16:09:30 »

Hi :)

Denis did agreat answer there, but i'd just like to add to it :)

I would recommend also contacting Wout or Mark, the forum administrators if you want you account deleted, as they can do that for you :)

SA
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines