Hello Guest September 16, 2024, 20:58:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: USB controller for ship sim 2008  (Read 1924 times)

ilmt

• Forum member
USB controller for ship sim 2008
« on: September 10, 2008, 14:47:18 »

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&sku=A1238651

would that USB controller work with this game?  i realize it is for flight sim games, however, we can use the three throttle levers with ship sim, assuming this is compatible.

what is everyone else using?  i hope not just the keyboard and mouse.

thanks!

Denis

• Global Moderator
Re: USB controller for ship sim 2008
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 15:00:04 »

Hi ilmt,

this has already discussed lots of time before :)

Basically, this can work with Ship Simulator. You can, in ship sim simulator, assign every axes or button of every joystick to whatever function of Ship Simulator you want. So, it works.

But, if talking about naval simulation, it becomes not so interesting ! The throttle levers are nice (I personnaly use them too) but the yoke is useless. The steering wheel in a ship behaves quite differently than the yoke of a plane, because it doesn't come back to neutral when you release it. If you take for example a large ship, like the vermass or the lattitude, you might need to set rudder full starboard for example, during 15 minutes, to make a U-turn. With a flight simulation yoke, you'll have to keep hands on the wheel for 15 minutes ... not realistic at all, and very annoying !

Moreover, at this time, there's no possibility to steer azimuth propelled ship with joysticks (Red Eagle, Ocean Star, Bugsier 2).

So, to my mind, if you only intend to use this set for Ship Simulator, you might be very disappointed. However, If you use flight simulators, then it's a very good value.

ilmt

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 15:02:35 »

Hi ilmt,

this has already discussed lots of time before :)

Basically, this can work with Ship Simulator. You can, in ship sim simulator, assign every axes or button of every joystick to whatever function of Ship Simulator you want. So, it works.

But, if talking about naval simulation, it becomes not so interesting ! The throttle levers are nice (I personnaly use them too) but the yoke is useless. The steering wheel in a ship behaves quite differently than the yoke of a plane, because it doesn't come back to neutral when you release it. If you take for example a large ship, like the vermass or the lattitude, you might need to set rudder full starboard for example, during 15 minutes, to make a U-turn. With a flight simulation yoke, you'll have to keep hands on the wheel for 15 minutes ... not realistic at all, and very annoying !

Moreover, at this time, there's no possibility to steer azimuth propelled ship with joysticks (Red Eagle, Ocean Star, Bugsier 2).

So, to my mind, if you only intend to use this set for Ship Simulator, you might be very disappointed. However, If you use flight simulators, then it's a very good value.

yes, this is what i assumed as well.  i have never driven a boat, but i have seen many of our pilots operate a tug boat.  i just wanted to post to see if anyone has come across this before.

thanks!

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 17:42:13 »

With a flight simulation yoke, you'll have to keep hands on the wheel for 15 minutes ... not realistic at all, and very annoying !

I beg to differ: if you switch on "precision steering", the rudder will stay in the position you last put it..
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 18:45:11 by saltydog »

ilmt

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 17:43:32 »

In my modest opinion, this isn't the case if you switch on the "precision steering".. :)

hmmmm, i would like for someone to confirm this, if possible.

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 17:50:10 »

In my modest opinion, this isn't the case if you switch on the "precision steering"..
I use this for steering, and it works fine.. :)

It works, yes, but isn't more realistic !

ilmt

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 18:02:49 »

It works, yes, but isn't more realistic !

right, i am not sure how the realistic factor is...i will not be using this program or controls...thanks for the feedback guys.

i guess i was just looking for someone to say...dont buy this unit, when you plug it in, ship sim doesnt recognize it.  i dont play computer games/simulators that require joysticks so in all my years with computers, i have only had to deal with joysticks a few times.

in case anyone is wondering, these posts have all been helpful.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 18:15:30 »

You're welcome ilmt, good luck with the controller-choice
If you find a "realistic" controller, please let us know..  ;)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 18:46:01 by saltydog »

TerryRussell

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 19:42:03 »

Hi Ilmt.

I use a Saitek P3000 dual yoke unit which has 20 programmable buttons. I've got a USB version and a wireless version. Both work just as good as each other.

Mine are getting a bit old, and I'm not sure what Saitek have currently available, but if they're half as good as these older ones, they'll be worth the money.

Water Weasel

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 23:47:37 »

I use a Saitek AV8R-01 joystick. When I turn on precision steering, the throttle levers don't work.

TerryRussell

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 13:54:25 »

Mine work Ok in precision mode, but I'm not happy with the way that they work. So I switch it off when using the Saitek.

veljkobar

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 14:55:15 »

hi,
I have same problem with controllers
and wont to bay control room or something like this
is it posibille somewhere to find ???
pls,
help
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines