Hello Guest September 21, 2024, 10:36:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Basic Questions re: 'the Heavies' VLCC's  (Read 2269 times)

Chrystine

• Forum member
Basic Questions re: 'the Heavies' VLCC's
« on: November 22, 2008, 05:19:09 »

Hi again all,

I’ve been trying to read the Forum as much as time & circumstance permit and, yes – searching for answers already given to a number of my questions.

One thing that really stands out for me is – most of you guys really seem to know your stuff.  Some bright and knowledgeable folks in here.

Then there’s me…  I don’t know boo about any such things.
  This is all new to me.  Fun, interesting and educational (at gruesomely slow-speed) all together.

I’m just wondering whether anyone might make a try at explaining a couple of things in relatively simple terms for me?

e.g.  VLCC = Very Large Cargo Carrier - right?

Like: *

Is there somewhere I can go to read & learn about how to operate the heavy crane(s)?
  Are there such cranes in all or most Ports (in SS 08)?
  Do they work only in Missions, or also in Free Roam?
  What sort of things are typically in those massive crates?  (My guess would be about anything one could box up in a crate?).

Where are we ‘supposed’ to take the Super Tanker?  I mean – where would she off-load, for example?
  I’ve read the number of threads already pertaining to the ‘water depth’ (or lack of it) issue – and its consequent effect on where she can go at present: but where is she ‘supposed’ to go and where can we presently take her?
  I know it’s a lot to ask – but as much as anyone may be willing, I’d love to know which Ports and at-least roughly ‘where’ in them.
  Can such tankers be off-loaded while at anchor – or do they need to be moored? (I’m guessing the latter – and in very specific locations with the facilities to do that).

Is there an Oil Rig Platform anywhere in Free Roam?

Okay – I’ll stop for the present!
  I know these Q’s will probably strike all you guys as mind-numbingly simple, basic stuff: sorry!  ..Just try bear in mind I’m really just a simple housewife!  I don’t know…  But it’s all fascinating and I’d like to learn what I can.
  This would be a pleasant start.

Any helpful replies will be most deeply appreciated.  Thanks!

Best,
  Chrystine

TerryRussell

Re: Basic Questions re: 'the Heavies' VLCC's
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 08:31:29 »

Hi Chrystine!

Some answers below:

I’m just wondering whether anyone might make a try at explaining a couple of things in relatively simple terms for me?

e.g.  VLCC = Very Large Cargo Carrier - right?

Nope. Very Large Crude (oil) Carrier

See http://www.skibskredit.dk/Default.aspx?ID=407

Like: *

Is there somewhere I can go to read & learn about how to operate the heavy crane(s)?

Yes. Marty has produced an excellent guide. Creators forum has it available. Just go to the FREEBIES section of the forum and you'll see his wonerful guides there,

Are there such cranes in all or most Ports (in SS 08)?
  Do they work only in Missions, or also in Free Roam?

They aren't "built-in" objects, but Mission creators can put cranes anywhere (pretty much).

None available in Free Roam, as they have to be placed by Mission Creators.

What sort of things are typically in those massive crates?  (My guess would be about anything one could box up in a crate?).

That about sums it up. Anything from new automobiles (Hey! I'm speaking American) to bananas.

Where are we ‘supposed’ to take the Super Tanker?  I mean – where would she off-load, for example?
  I’ve read the number of threads already pertaining to the ‘water depth’ (or lack of it) issue – and its consequent effect on where she can go at present: but where is she ‘supposed’ to go and where can we presently take her?
  I know it’s a lot to ask – but as much as anyone may be willing, I’d love to know which Ports and at-least roughly ‘where’ in them.

In real-life, places such as Fawley (Solent) and various places in Rotterdam. Unfortuntely, Latitude has too much draft in her "native" SS08 state to get to them in the game.

BUT, there is  patch available on Creators Forum that reduces Latitudes draft so that she can berth in those locations. The downside is that some AI latitudes may bob around a bit unrealistically.

I discussed this at length with the Environment Developers when I went to Vstep recently. I don't know if there will be any patch for this in SS08 (it is a big set of changes) but it shuld be fixed in SS10.

Can such tankers be off-loaded while at anchor – or do they need to be moored? (I’m guessing the latter – and in very specific locations with the facilities to do that).

The latter. In real life, there are massive pipes, telecomms cables and so on between the vessel and the shore.You wouldn't want the vessel swinging around at anchor and ripping those out. (One of my clients makes the telecomms stuff, and they want vessels super-glued into positiion!).

Is there an Oil Rig Platform anywhere in Free Roam?

Don't think so. Like cranes, they have to be progranmmed into position by a Mission Creator.

Okay – I’ll stop for the present!

Phew....
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 14:07:16 by TerryRussell »

mvsmith

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 09:46:01 »

Hi Chrystine,
To add a bit to Terry’s answer:
There might be an oil platform in the Bergen North Sea free-roam, but I’ve never looked.

VLCCs and U(ltra)LCCs load and often unload, as Terry said, at special terminals with sufficient draft. In other places, such as Los Angeles/San Pedro on the US West Coast, they stand out and lighter off—transfer the oil to smaller tankers that then unload at terminals in the harbor.

Terry will point you to two documents: INFO1.pdf has instructions for operating the container crane.
The Mission Editor tutorial gives more information on the crane—its capacity and limitations.

Regards,
Marty

TerryRussell

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 10:15:27 »

Hi again.

I have updated my post above. Marty's two guides are in the FREEBIES section of the Creators Forum.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 12:39:16 »

Hi Tina,
There is another means of discharging/loading for VLCCs. This is the single point mooring buoy. The buoy is very big and is connected by a pipeline to a shore establishment (Usually a refinery or in the North Sea to an oil field). The buoy is itself moored in deep water such that there is no problem for the VLCC draftwise. There is one such buoy in Liverpool Bay (UK) which is connected by pipeline direct to Stanlow refinery some 25 miles away. The attached picture shows such a buoy being loaded aboard a ship of the Company I sailed with. As I am a bit out of touch, now that I am retired, I am not sure if the buoy I mention is still in use, but it was used regularly some years ago. This system enables the VLCC to swing to the wind and/or tide with no problems as the connection to the ship swivels with the ship. You can see the pipline connections clearly in the picture.

Angus.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 12:42:36 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Chrystine

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 20:41:45 »

Hi Terry, Marty and Angus,

Thank you very much for those very kind, helpful and informative replies gentlemen!
  Greatly appreciated indeed.

“Very Large Crude (oil) Carrier”

..Ohhhh!  Ok. Thanks!

Great!  I’ll go look for Marty’s Guide in the FREEBIES section of the Creators Forum.  Thank you for the pointer.

“BUT, there is  patch available on Creators Forum that reduces Latitudes draft so that she can berth in those locations. The downside is that some AI latitudes may bob around a bit unrealistically.”

Please forgive my being a bit thick here, but not-so- with the Playable Latitude right?  I assume you’d have said so if this were an issue, but I’d like to be 100% sure before I’d try it.

“Phew….”

Indeed…  But I thank you for all the answers you’ve given Terry, and your patience in giving them.  :)

“To add a bit to Terry’s answer:
There might be an oil platform in the Bergen North Sea free-roam, but I’ve never looked.
”

Thanks Marty!
  I’ll have to go have a look sometime.  I want to see the North Sea anyway – that’ll give me a ‘Free Roaming’ Mission!  ;)

“In other places…they stand out and lighter off—transfer the oil to smaller tankers that then unload at terminals in the harbor.”

That’s very cool…  Thanks for that too!
  I had something of that in mind when asking about off-loading while ‘at anchor.’
  Of course I just didn’t know if that would be practicable with a tanker.

Thanks also for the reminder there is the bit about the crane in the M.E. Tutorial.  As I passed over that part having no ‘need’ for it when I created my first few – more-or-less ‘test’ augmented environments – it probably would otherwise have slipped from my memory completely to look there again.

Angus,

Thanks so much for that!  :)
  Fascinating stuff! ..and what a wonderful photo with crystal clear view of just what such a buoy looks like.
  I’m most grateful!

And to all three of you – for your time and patience and stating all so that I can understand each word and line without trouble.

You guys are the best!
  Many, many thanks..!

Best regards,
  Chrystine

vadokunvot

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 21:59:45 »

Hello everybody.

Im pretty shure that I have seen an oilrig in the Bergen area of the game.
If Im not mistaken it was in the middle of the area.

Regards
Magnus

TerryRussell

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 22:23:26 »

Hi Chrystine.

Don't worry about Latitude. With the downloads from Creators Forum, they are self installing. You select to install the new version.

If you don't like the changes, just run it again, but select the original version. It's as easy as that.

In order to enable Latitude to moor at Fawley and Botlek etc, we had to off-load about 70,000 tons of crude oil. That reduces the draft by just enough to permit access to those areas. Unfortunately, the AI vessels have been "hard wired" with the original loading. When you come close to them, they switch to the new value and they bob up in the water.

It isn't dreadful, but it isn't perfect. In most environments it simply looks like they going over a large wave and you may not even notice. In the harbours, it can look a little odd to see them going over large waves when none are around.

This effect doesn't affect the player vessel at all.

Chrystine

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 01:53:35 »

Hi Magnus and Terry,

Thanks!  :)
  All great to know..!
  I’ll look for the rig when I get to the Bergen area.

Great, Terry!  Can’t get any more convenient than that! (the installer.exe’s I mean).

I will most likely just have to check out the lightened Latitude.
  I ran her aground in the ‘NY Atlantic.’  I wasn’t a happy Captain.  We stopped moving and I thought we hit an ‘invisible wall’ – ( ..Those pop up time to time in some sceneries in FS 2k2 ).
  I looked – and sure enough, depth under bow, 1 meter.
  That’s not nice…

Thanks again everyone.  :)

Best,
  Chrystine

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 20:16:11 »

Also, on MP, this is a popular place to dock the Latitude..It's also one of the few places possible in Marseille..
You may like to try it sometime.. ;)

Chrystine

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 02:17:22 »

:)

Thanks Salty dog!
  I know the place and will try it next time I’m in there.
  I seriously doubt I’d have thought of that on my own.

Thanks for the SS too!  The visual always helps…

Best regards,
  Chrystine

Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines