Hello Guest September 22, 2024, 00:21:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Something annoying on the Ocean Star  (Read 7252 times)

The Captain

• Forum member
Re: Something annoying on the Ocean Star
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 00:27:44 »

Mister smith, the only thing making me know you have a sence of humor, is that you have the cookie monster as an avatar ;D ;D ;D ;D.

Capt. Le Velle

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 00:31:30 »

i can see behind 2D words its plain white on the back

Pain is weakness leaving the body-Special Ops Instructors.
http://www.freewebs.com/shipsimusa/

The Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2008, 00:56:13 »

Ohh, now I get it ;D. Usually when a ;D is put in a sentence it means that there is a joke involved. Or, in my case, it means that I have a really big smirk on my face ;D.

mvsmith

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2008, 01:09:59 »

the only thing making me know you have a sence of humor, is that you have the cookie monster as an avatar ;D ;D ;D ;D.

My friend, for whom I’m the 24/7 caregiver, watches Sesame Street and the other PBS Kids shows daily. She is 14 years into Alzheimer’s, and gets confused. There is a character that she insists upon calling “Mad Fred”, although there is only a superficial resemblance.

TerryRussell

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2008, 06:51:04 »

Sorry, I only write in 2D, so you can’t see behind my words.

They appear at least five dimensional to me. I looked up and down until I got to the bottom of this, but at the top of it all there was a set of equations that prove this to be the charming truth, strangely.

Trust me. I know. I was at one time a member of the Department of Freshly Originated Transparent Carbonated Carbuncles.

What? You've never head of that?

Surely everyone has heard of it?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 08:09:37 by TerryRussell »

The Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2008, 16:06:33 »

My friend, for whom I’m the 24/7 caregiver, watches Sesame Street and the other PBS Kids shows daily. She is 14 years into Alzheimer’s, and gets confused. There is a character that she insists upon calling “Mad Fred”, although there is only a superficial resemblance.

Ohh. Thats why. Who is "she"? You did not quite explain that bit ???.

TerryRussell

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2008, 16:13:54 »

I think Marty said very clearly who "she" is, didn't he? He said:

My friend, for whom I’m the 24/7 caregiver,...

Did you want her Social Security number or something?  ;D

The Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2008, 16:20:22 »

Ohh, I did not know he was refering to his friend. Me, or the girl ;D.

mvsmith

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2008, 16:37:35 »

Who is "she"? You did not quite explain that bit ???.

At 80, Joyce—“the girl”—is probably a bit old for you. Sorry

The Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2008, 16:39:49 »

Ohh, that explains a lot :o.

Dave M

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2008, 02:17:28 »

They appear at least five dimensional to me. I looked up and down until I got to the bottom of this, but at the top of it all there was a set of equations that prove this to be the charming truth, strangely.

Trust me. I know. I was at one time a member of the Department of Freshly Originated Transparent Carbonated Carbuncles.

What? You've never head of that?

Surely everyone has heard of it?

Hi Terry,
During my mis-spent life, (mis-spent but enjoyable  :) ), I have picked up some little bits of knowledge/ignorance.
Charm and Strange attraction, (or was that a film? [Reference the Sig.] ), ring a bell. But the DFOTCC ?

Can you let me know what it means, even if it has to be by PM.  ???

Regards, Dave
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 02:43:53 by Dave M »
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950  @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz

mvsmith

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2008, 02:37:14 »

Dave,
Terry should never have mentioned the DFOTCC, and is about to lose his clearance and his secret decoder ring.
Marty

Dave M

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2008, 03:03:51 »

Hi Marty,
Lets not be hasty, I'm sure that there is some way to save Terry's ring, (and security clearance as well).
Maybe we could warp him back to 2006 and then he would never have made 'that' comment, and the next time that we would hear from him would be on the SS06 board.  ;D

Regards, Dave

Capt. Le Velle

• Forum member
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2008, 05:53:12 »

terry is a super hero he can see 2d stuff in 5d.  I can only see in 3d

Pain is weakness leaving the body-Special Ops Instructors.
http://www.freewebs.com/shipsimusa/

TerryRussell

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2008, 08:48:49 »

Department of Freshly Originated Transparent Carbonated Carbuncles

Department of New Clear Fizzy Cysts.

(Nuclear Physicists?)

Get it? No? Oh. Just me, then.

PS. Top, Bottom, Up, Down etc are all properties of Quarks, I didn't mention their colours in case of confusion amongst the lower ranks. Strangeness, Charm, Truth & Beauty have all been used to describe aspects of their properties at some stage.

See  how many physical high-energy jokes you can fit into a short paragraph! That was a 12 dimensional joke, brought to you by the makers of QarkCleen, thew easy way to polish those elusive critters. Buy a can today.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 08:59:26 by TerryRussell »

mvsmith

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2008, 12:25:19 »

Murray Gell-Mann has written an excellent book explaining Terry’s digressions into quantum electrodynamics in terms of its relation to the habits of the jaguar.
For those whose experience with feline behavior is limited to pussycats, Erwin Schrödinger has come up with a shorter treatise, which however, has generated protests from some militant members of the ASPCA.

TerryRussell

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2008, 13:15:05 »

Currently my cat Suzie is performing an experiment involving some radioactive material and a man called Erwin in a small box.

She won't tell me the outcome, although she alludes to a cloud of potentials, each with its own probabability. She has also written a thesis in which she says that she is strangely beautiful. Right now, she is alseep, probably dreaming of catching mice.

Dave M

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2008, 21:22:09 »

Hi Terry, I snuck into your place and took a photo of your cat doing her experiment.
It looks as if she has invented a new mouse trap and whilst she is waiting for a wave of mice to arrive, she is listening to the radio.

I think schrodinger got it wrong by using cats as an analogy, their states are [asleep] and [awake].
Their normal state is [asleep].
Their master slave or stranger enemy is within their zone. [Awake]
Master slave will then give them treats/food and attention, (if not enough attention/treats/food then they will shred your legs/nylons/tights/trousers and go back to sleep.
Stranger enemy. See whether any treats/food/attention are available. Shred anything they can reach anyway and go back to sleep.  ;D

Regards, Dave

TerryRussell

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2008, 22:34:18 »

Don't forget the cat/door experiment.

Cat waits at door and demands to be let out.
Simultaneously, cat is outside demanding to be let in.
Whether you let cat out or cat in, it is on the wrong side and demands for original state to be restored.
Upon restoration, that is also incorrect and cat demands for last state to be restored.
Upon restoration, that is also incorrect and cat demands for last state to be restored.
Upon restoration, that is also incorrect and cat demands for last state to be restored. etc.
Therefore the true states of cat are in and out and can exist simulatneously.
It is not possible to determine which state the cat is in, nor which it wants to become.
This is the uncertainty principle proven as fact.

Dave M

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2008, 23:13:56 »

Hi Terry,
Groan!!
It has taken me a day and a half to figure out that 'Freshly originated' [New], 'Transparent' [Clear], 'Carbonated' [Fizzy], 'Carbuncle' [Cyst], joke of yours.

Do you think that this is a sign of my advancing years? or maybe my mis-spent life?

I used to have an IQ of 139, I think you can knock off  the 1 now and it would be more realistic.  :-[

Regards, Dave

Dave M

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2008, 23:24:47 »

Don't forget the cat/door experiment.

This is the uncertainty principle proven as fact.

Hi Terry,
I thought that the uncertainty principle had already been proven by 'MicroSoft'.

Man wants to do something, Computer says no.
Computer wants to do something, Man says no.
So the Man is not in charge of his Computer and sulks. Computer sulks

=BSOD= not one state or the other.  ;)

Regards, Dave

TerryRussell

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2008, 23:30:28 »

Hi Terry,
Groan!!
It has taken me a day and a half to figure out that 'Freshly originated' [New], 'Transparent' [Clear], 'Carbonated' [Fizzy], 'Carbuncle' [Cyst], joke of yours.

Do you think that this is a sign of my advancing years? or maybe my mis-spent life?

I used to have an IQ of 139, I think you can knock off  the 1 now and it would be more realistic.  :-[

Regards, Dave

Considering that was an the cuff joke, I was quite impressed when I read it.

I joined Mensa when I was a kid, but that was solely to meet Isaac Azimov when he came to the UK the one time. It was a thrilling experience for him. I was suitably unmoved. We did correspond for many years until his death, when unexplicably he stopped writing to me.

Hi Terry,
I thought that the uncertainty principle had already been proven by 'MicroSoft'.

Man wants to do something, Computer says no.
Computer wants to do something, Man says no.
So the Man is not in charge of his Computer and sulks. Computer sulks

=BSOD= not one state or the other.  ;)

Regards, Dave

Hmmm... I thought Microsoft's state was very determinant. Isn't it "overpriced" charge coupled with "untrustworthy"?

I don't think the uncertainty principle applies fully here. You know that it will crash. The only indeterminant is when.

Dave M

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2008, 00:14:59 »

Hi Terry,
I was only a couple of points over Mensa's limit and the only test I took was the unsupervised one. There was a teacher/tutor strike on at the time, (mid 1970s), and the only places they could provide, (with an envigilator, (I think i might have spelt that wrong)), were too far away. The main thing that put me off after that was that Mensa kept sending me letters telling me that I could not fail, no matter what my score was?

Isaac Asimov, I am impressed. I love Science Fiction and have read the Foundation series, wasn't there a follow up to that? Foundation and ?

All of that was some years ago. I have had some fun since then and sacrificed a few brain cells. ;)

Regards, Dave
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 00:18:21 by Dave M »

TerryRussell

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2008, 10:23:44 »

I'm a great fan of "Golden Age" Science Fiction. Star Trek is very much from that genre. Not many people are aware that Azimov played a substantial role in the concepts and writings.

"Live Long and Fester". Or something....
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines