Hello Guest September 23, 2024, 05:20:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beached at Alang  (Read 1413 times)

Bottman

• Global Moderator
Beached at Alang
« on: June 24, 2008, 18:12:40 »

How sad! Now one of the worlds famous ferries prepares for scrapping... :-[  :-[  :-[

http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=thread&topic_id=5219&forum=1&post_id=27862#27862
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
Re: Beached at Alang
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 19:15:30 »

I hate seeing vessels being scrapped, the Riverdance for example is being "cut up" on the beach in Blackpool, England. The story is this:

She had come from Ireland and was sailing the sea in the Blackpool area, it was a stormy night and the waves and wind were quite dangerous. Her engines cut out while being far away in the sea and a huge wave brought her side on, onto the beach. She was so deaply imbedded they couldn't get her out and eventually she started to lean on the beach, the lorries on the back of her started breaking away and falling off the Ro-ro ferry. And sadly, she leaned so far that the wheelhouse ended up in the waves of the dangerous sea. So, it was decided that no more rescue attempts should be done, and that she should be put out of service, that happened. She is now being cut up on the beach, and will be sold as scrap metal, its a shame.

heres an image of when she was leaning SLIGHTLY:
(after this she was right over on her side)
(and the image after this one is when she was on the water)

EDIT: Oh and i've seen her myself, she's a lovely vessel, shame they are cutting her up :( but i suppose the state she is in, or was in rather was terrible, so i suppose it wouldn't be worth restoring her.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 19:20:02 by IRI5HJ4CK »
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Shipaddict

• Forum member
Re: Beached at Alang
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 16:29:59 »

What I wish is ,that all the health and safety people from Britain go over to Alang. looks disgusting, and sad aswell. Very nice looking ferry :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines