Hello Guest September 20, 2024, 02:22:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: ss06 vs ss08 Titanic rendering?  (Read 5357 times)

mvsmith

Re: ss06 vs ss08 Titanic rendering?
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2008, 04:38:07 »

By the semi-literate perhaps, but they have a much larger vocabulary of American-English words that they do not comprehend.
Marty

mvsmith

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2008, 04:46:11 »

But can we have it back when you've finished playing with it, please?  ;D
Terry, you are certainly entitled the improved version as a free download.
webster_revised_oed_v2.0.pdf
Marty

TerryRussell

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2008, 10:55:54 »

some British words aren't understood in America.

I don't think there are many words that aren't understood. Sometimes we understand different things from them.

Quite a lot have meanings that were originally the same but havedrifted apart over the intervening centuries. When my wife first came to the UK we were about to go out and I said to her "It's a bit cold outside. I'll just put my jumper on.". As she was packing her suitcase and booking the airline tickets back home, I found that our word for "sweater" is the same word as she would use for a type of Spambot's dress. Oh dear.

Similarly, what I call a handbag, she calls a purse, while for me a purse is a small money pouch that goes into a lady's handbag (or a man's should he be so inclined).

Having said that, if I lapse into my

[sockney]

Sockney jabber, then you'll have problems traipsing with me up the apples when we come back round the Johnny after a session sinking jars and some tipples down the rubber, cos its a bit parky art side and we'll be brass 'uns mate! It'll be a real pallaver. But we'll be soused geezes, so who gives one?

[/sockney]

But I expect we can put our jumpers on first.

Terry, you are certainly entitled the improved version as a free download.
webster_revised_oed_v2.0.pdf
Marty

Having previously sold the wife (A real Jersey Gal) into slavery so that I could buy New Horizons, this morning I went down ye Olde English Slave Market and bought her back. Now the language she was using may have been a dialect of English, but there were certainly a lot of words that I hadn't heard previously.

I now have to start my reference DVDs to locate some of the phrases she used. You know, the ones entitled "Sopranos"...  ;)

I must go to the F section for a lot of them. I think one of them was "for crying out loud..." but I may have misheard it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 11:10:30 by TerryRussell »

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2008, 09:30:44 »

I'd just feel comfortable with a US English ss08 to go with my US English ss06

mvsmith

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2008, 14:31:12 »

What US English version? Who did the translation?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines